It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds say Arapaho can Kill bald Eagles

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
According to CBS News,” The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has taken the unusual step of issuing a permit allowing an American Indian tribe to kill two bald eagles for religious purposes.”
www.cbsnews.com...
The bald eagle was removed from the federal list of threatened species in 2007, however,
has remained protected under the federal Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act.
The Arapaho Indians were not satisfied with the Fed’s provision for decade’s of free eagle feathers and body parts. So they filed a federal lawsuit, contending the refusal to issue such permits violates tribal members' religious freedoms.
Apparently, this law allows for two eagles to be killed. But is this for each ceremony? How many ceremonies are there allowed? Is there a sunrise ceremony? A high noon ceremony? A peyote button feeding frenzy ceremony?
And isn't this just another example of sliding on the slippery slope in the decline of American principals?
Do you think it is OK for the Feds to allow different ethnicities to violate federal law while discriminating against others.
Do you think this is a hypocritical decision of the current administration, in forbidding Christian organizations the freedom to Not provide reimbursement for birth control.

edit on 16-3-2012 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
eagle feathers have been sacred to these people for thousands of years before the American invasion so if population numbers are good why not let them harvest some? states all across the land allow people to harvest animals for eating or sport, for the sacred dinner table.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
This is retarded. What if it was my religion to eat small children's souls? Would I then be allowed to kill 2 small children a day?

I think not.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
In my opinion no governmental laws should in any way pander to or be altered to accommodate religious beliefs.
edit on 16/3/12 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Let me get this straight, you guys think it is fine to slaughter animals by the millions, for your food, your leather jackets, for your candy (yes they use gelatine in candy too) but one group are somehow terrible because they want to kill 2 animals? A life is a life, whether it be an eagle, a cow, a rabbit, you cant say it is fine to kill one but not the other

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle
eagle feathers have been sacred to these people for thousands of years before the American invasion so if population numbers are good why not let them harvest some? states all across the land allow people to harvest animals for eating or sport, for the sacred dinner table.

That's just silly.

Are cow, pigs, or chickens protected with a fed law?

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

And isn't this just another example of sliding on the slippery slope in the decline of American principals?

I'd argue that it started with the murder of millions of native Indians.

Do you think it is OK for the Feds to allow different ethnicities to violate federal law while discriminating against others.

Let me get this straight... are you suggesting that the Native American Indian population are given preferential treatment over the "European Americans"??

Do you think this is a hypocritical decision of the current administration, in forbidding Christian organizations the freedom to Not provide reimbursement for birth control.

Don’t see the connection?!?

You ask the question..

How many ceremonies are there allowed? Is there a sunrise ceremony? A high noon ceremony? A peyote button feeding frenzy ceremony?

Why didn’t you try and find out before making this post?? For all you know it could be a once a year ceremony!

If the Eagles have been taken off the endangered list, and it is a sustainable practice, then what right does, the invading race of people have, to dictate to the race whose land they have occupied?!?!

I would argue that, the very least you could do, is allow them to hunt a couple of eagles.

Especially when you consider the amount of rainforest chopped down, waste added to the sea, pollution to the sky, that our "civilised" society has introduced to this planet.

I would argue that it is us, in the western world, who are the hypocrites.

Peace

edit on 16-3-2012 by Muckster because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Do you have to really kill a bird to get its feather?

www.terryjamesart.com...
edit on 083131p://bFriday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnySasaki

Well if you had the ability to eat souls, who would be able to stop you in the first place?

Also comparing a couple of eagles with taking human life doesn't really work.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrinceDreamer
Let me get this straight, you guys think it is fine to slaughter animals by the millions, for your food, your leather jackets, for your candy (yes they use gelatine in candy too) but one group are somehow terrible because they want to kill 2 animals? A life is a life, whether it be an eagle, a cow, a rabbit, you cant say it is fine to kill one but not the other

your missing the point, a law is apparently being bypassed in order to facilitate someone's religious beliefs and that is clearly wrong.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

hypocrisy abounds and it seems it's not just the govt. eh.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Please consider the law of keeping religion separate from state.
Additionally, we don't know how many eagles can be sacrificed during any period of time.
As I state in the above thread, 2 eagles a day, week, month?
Furthermore, they are given deceased eagles intact and, please tell me, what nation has a barn yard animal for it's symbol.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Geez guy, chill out some. You can disagree with this, but you don't need to make it sound like this group of Native Americans are going to single handedly make the species extinct. In general the religions of Native American's respect and give back to nature.... it's not like there is going to be a free-for-all eagle slaying competition. It'll work out, promise.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Osiris1953

I have been finding feathers and keeping them in my dream catcher for years, I always thought the act of happening upon a feather as a spiritual gift, to kill in order to get one is distasteful to me.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

Please consider the law of keeping religion separate from state.
Additionally, we don't know how many eagles can be sacrificed during any period of time.
As I state in the above thread, 2 eagles a day, week, month?
Furthermore, they are given deceased eagles intact and, please tell me, what nation has a barn yard animal for it's symbol.

to my people the turkey is sacred, but you don't see Seneca people marching in front of the stores at thanksgiving do you. it's all ok as long as it's ok with you right?

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle

hypocrisy abounds and it seems it's not just the govt. eh.

Yes, I have hunted and eaten animals for food, but not for a feather.

link   

Originally posted by Versa

your missing the point, a law is apparently being bypassed in order to facilitate someone's religious beliefs and that is clearly wrong.

Exactly most of my point!

But it must be too cerebral.

link   
BTW the permit is only good for this year, and during that period they have the right to kill up to two total. There are other articles about this out there.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I agree that is ideal, and that is the method that I would choose as well... however, I don't have a problem with them killing two for their religious ceremonies either.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Versa

but it was right when we came into their land, murdered and raped like no one's business and then set up laws that kept them from their own practices and kicked them out of their own lands? i'd imagine it was the white man who hurt the bald eagle population...not the natives who respect the animal.

there is no law being "bypassed"...there is a law simply being repealed for the people that the law violated.
edit on 3/16/12 by ICEKOHLD because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join