It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ignorant have taken over...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Just as the title says, the ignorant have taken over this site in huge numbers.

Science is mocked, and discredited by the ignorant! Pseudoscience is HUGE on here and taken as fact lol.

Fantasy, delusion and madness have taken over almost every forum on here. No matter where you go you will see ignorance in abundance.

Its a shame really

People tell me im wrong, yet provide no evidence for their claims.

Its become hard work on here of late. More and more people are willfully ignorant because the ever growing number of ignorant posters.

I believe there are a huge number of people on here that are suffering from some sort of delusional mental illness. For example those that claim they are being followed or attacked by people over and over again (persecutory delusion).

The following can indicate a delusion:[4]
The patient expresses an idea or belief with unusual persistence or force.
That idea appears to exert an undue influence on the patient's life, and the way of life is often altered to an inexplicable extent.
Despite his/her profound conviction, there is often a quality of secretiveness or suspicion when the patient is questioned about it.
The individual tends to be humorless and oversensitive, especially about the belief.
There is a quality of centrality: no matter how unlikely it is that these strange things are happening to him, the patient accepts them relatively unquestioningly.
An attempt to contradict the belief is likely to arouse an inappropriately strong emotional reaction, often with irritability and hostility.
The belief is, at the least, unlikely, and out of keeping with the patient's social, cultural and religious background.
The patient is emotionally over-invested in the idea and it overwhelms other elements of their psyche.
The delusion, if acted out, often leads to behaviors which are abnormal and/or out of character, although perhaps understandable in the light of the delusional beliefs.
Individuals who know the patient observe that the belief and behavior are uncharacteristic and alien.

Im not saying everyone is delusional, just those that cannot back up their claims with any kind of evidence.

For example (and what prompted me to make yet another rant about this), i was in a thread talking about rainbow acorns, and elfs.

Instead of having a good old debate, im called a "naysayer" lol. No attempt to prove me wrong. There proof was a psychic who wrote a book in which she met elfs. YUP thats proof to them!

The usual, you havent experienced it so you dont know. I have special powers you dont have (and 99.9999% of the population lack) so let us special, magical, gifted ones discuss our subject (delusions) and go and dicuss something you are interested in or know about.

I also find it funny how people add you to their "respected foes" when you have never spoken to them, whats all that about?? lol.
I can only assume they read a post, get angry and think by adding you as a foe they have got one up over you.....trust me, i couldnt care less who added me to their foes

I know my opinion counts to some on here. I know my posts are fact based, i know i contribute a healthy amount of skepticism over the boards....and i know, im not ignorant or delusional.

That is all

I

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

"People tell me im wrong, yet provide no evidence for their claims."

actually I think you are wrong about that.. Maybe you could prove it??

haha I kid I kid, I joke I joke...

I agree by the way

What I do is write I feel or I think before or after whatever I say and then when it turns out I was wrong, I am not defeated. I did not invest my namesake in the outcome as much. If I ever have good proof of something I may use other words, but until then...
edit on 3/16/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I'm fully with you on your rant, but could your thoughts have been added to the current top flagged topics thread that was only just started today? www.abovetopsecret.com...

Your pretty much stating the same things, just worded differently.
(I still agree with you 100% though btw, mind you, this is in Rant, so I guess the more rants about it maybe something will be done? Now I've confused myself!)

edit on 16-3-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   

See, I have to be honest here.. I do disagree. I'm not disagreeing because I'm bored either btw, or for the sake of it, but just to be completely honest here I can't say I agree with what you've wrote there - I don't think the ignorant have taken over in the slightest. Do I think extremely ignorant people are here and posting way though.. my god yes they are, and it's annoying too, I've come across them myself countless times but no, I certainly wouldn't say they've taken over. Or are even close to in fact as I think there's by far more great posters who are looking to actually learn something compared to those ignorant members.

Looking across the boards we do see a lot of, to put it bluntly, crap. Simple as that. There is a lot of crap on the boards, no one, no matter how long they've been here or how much they post, can deny that really. It is there. But hey, let's not forget something.. there may be crap, there may be nonsense and so on.. but there's also some great content. And I don't care what some people say, it is there and there's more of it as well, IMO.

I think I do know what you're talking about though. See, when I start a thread for example more often than not I'll have a couple of posts from people which are contributing, sharing my interest with what I've discussed, and so on. But, there's just always going to be that idiotic comment from that idiotic member. It's the internet we're talking about here, it's just always going to happen no matter what rules are implemented or how strict you want to get with the way thing's are. It's just going to happen. What I've learnt though, and of course still trying to master, is ignoring that troll/idiotic poster and focusing not on the negative, but the positive comments from those actually trying to contribute - Something we could all learn to do that bit better I imagine.

And I mean this with all due respect because I'm pretty sure you, LAC, do know I consider you a friend, but that's what you're doing here. You're focusing and choosing to see the negative, as are others as well - And trust me, I said the word "choosing" for a reason, we do have a choice. We all do. There is positivity out there, It's just a case of finding it and not letting the negative bog you down too much. Getting too bogged down isn't worth the time - It's time wasted. So, why not put that time to better use while browsing ATS?

So, to be honest here, I do respectfully disagree with your OP. I don't think the "Ignorant are taking over," but what I do think on the other hand is that we, as a whole, are focusing on the negative waaaayy too much, and particularly lately. There is great thread's out there, there is positivity and so on.. We just need to find it and we certainly can find it if we so choose to do so instead of letting the bad stuff basically win.

All in my humble opinion of course..

Oh, and as the above posted linked to another thread I posted in I think It's worth linking to what I posted there, I think it can apply to some here too: www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 16-3-2012 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

haha i wanted one of my own based on the ignorance ive endured over the past few days lol

Im not bothered about stars and flags...i have plenty and they do nothing anyways

Just letting off some steam.

As you say, the more people complain/rant the better the chance of something being done about it. I dont know if the owners frequent these boards often? i dont know if anything can really be done.

The only real method is to keep an eye on the most ignorant forums, and ban or post ban people who continuously show their ignorance. Without some sort of punishment it will just get worse and worse.

It wont be long at this rate until this site is comparable with GLP

Sad times :

(never been a member of that place btw but have had a look in the past for a laugh)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
This site is about pseudoscience too. Things that we think might exist, or things that might be happening, and things that do exist and that are happening but that the world is in denial about.

It's about cover-ups and secrets and getting to the bottom of things and learning some interesting stuff on the way. And there's fun to be had too. We're all ignorant to a degree. That's why most of us are here.

You're expecting miracles if you think that the weirdos will stay away, or people with different opinions to yours. This is about sorting the wheat from the chaff. You can't have all wheat. That's asking too much.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Most people are ignorant, always have been. Don't kid yourself, its an idiot's world, we're just living in it.

But have the drooling masses invaded our beloved sanctum sanctorum at last? That is the question at issue, it seems. Or perhaps through rose-colored lenses, memories of past sanity and stability are simply illusory re-imagings of conditions that were a lot less sane and elevated to begin with? I leave the question an open one, friends.

Reading this, though, in a whimsical mood, I have all sorts of images of a mass of stampeding morons...but not at all negative, no. Think instead of the grandeur of the vision, like a migratory herd of some mighty hooved animal stampeding across the planes...think what vast wattage that accounts for, and if we could tap that energy! Why bemoan the sea of idiots that surround us - instead, why not lead them? Take command and create a freakish cavlcade, a massive madhouse march of millions of morons, a veritable clown-car of the deluded masses.

Why not? Wouldn't that be more fun than getting all puritanical and churlish about it? Let your freak flag fly, says I. This train is bound for glory, the breakman has resigned! Let it all hang out! Why deny the crushing force of human stupidity, perhaps the planet's one virtually limitless resource? Make it work for you!
edit on 3/16/12 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   

I just have to say that I couldn't help but laugh when you used the word "ignorant" and then went on to specifically mention a thread about rainbow acorns and elves. What did you expect? Why would you enter such a thread any way if you are so scientifically minded?

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Thanks RA and i respect your opinion.

I think of late i have embarked upon somewhat of a mission in respect to finding these posts/threads and challenging them. You are right, ive been looking at the negative for some time.

Ive missed out on the good threads because ive fealt the need to respond to these time consuming, ignorant threads. I know deep down, no matter what i say it wont change these peoples attitudes
It wont change what they believe, and what they think they know.

C'est la vie

Il have to leave it at that for now as ive got to go out very shortly.....

FOR ALL:

Thank you for your contributions, its nice seeing such well thought out posts. Il pop back later and address you more personally

Have a great day everyone....im off for a break lol

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

haha quick reply as im off out........the title got me. It was ridiculous, something about Fairy Land....it was asking to be scrutinized and ridiculed to be honest with you.

See what i mean, i was hunting them out....well not hunting, they all appeared in the new topics over a period of a few days

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   

I understand where you're coming from as just yesterday I decided to take a break from my usual topics to read some different ones. Frankly, what I read scared the hell out of me. The difference was, I didn't bother responding or making any replies because I knew it was too far out there to do any good! LOL! What's sad to say, is that it did provide a certain degree of entertainment, but I hate to think that I'm amusing myself at the expense of some really dark force that may be taking over people's lives and know that there's nothing I can do about it.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
i think more and more people are feeling insidnificant,and this site provides a forum for them to feel like they matter.
id don't matter if they are talking about aliens,elves,sun spots or the like. they feel they have a voice.
i guess what gets my goat are the people quoting bible scripture and assuming it is the absolute truth and assuming we will all fall into the fold. some of them are very forceful!
i study different religions but i dont quote verses from the rig veda,or the tibetan book of the dead and expect others to follow that path! i'll gladly discuss religion with people,but i wont force my personal veiws down their throught!
i love to learn,but i wont pretend to know what i do not. i've seen a bunch of nutty stuff here,but i also have learned much,and made some new friends.
gee i havent even made an 'enemy' yet!!! (knock on wood!)
any way i agree with alot of what you say,but i guess if you dont like the post,ya don't gotta read it!
peace

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

You come across as a very boring person. Do you quote from science because you know some other persons like you will back you up and it's safe.

Why do you enjoy taking away the pleasure others get from writing and reading out of this world threads.....Maybe you need to learn how to entertain a thought .......You don't have to accept it you know.

A good imagination keeps you healthy......so maybe your the one that is ill.

Your rant is ignorant of the harm it could do.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I have likened ATS to a public loony bin somewhere else. Personally I think people should have the right to write about whatever they want but maybe a forum isn't the best place to do so, as there will be others that have more knowledge and evidence; and some don't want to hear that. They want everyone to be on their side and are completely ignorant to rational explanations. Maybe they would be better off starting a blog?
However we can't change people, we can only change how we react to threads. I have learned to just read coo-coo threads as I know that nothing I say will make any difference. On these threads like minded people can have a field day for all I care [but it is quite worrying to see mental illness in writing without being able to help].

I am still a noob here but it didn't take me long to see that ATS is being abused by the god brigade to preach. This is what winds me up the most. Their posts are not about theories or conspiracies or of any interest but purely preachings under some weak guise of the above. Pages upon pages of bible quotes, nothing more. Those are not discussions, its force feeding their beliefs onto others. You cannot have a discussion with these people because that is not what they came here for. All they want is to convert you [knock yourself out trying...]To me they are bible spammers and as such should get a warning of misconduct.

Very rarely are there good posts that make you think and it is those few that still bring me back here but all in all this is a place of madness.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontlaughthink

You come across as a very boring person. Do you quote from science because you know some other persons like you will back you up and it's safe.

Why do you enjoy taking away the pleasure others get from writing and reading out of this world threads.....Maybe you need to learn how to entertain a thought .......You don't have to accept it you know.

A good imagination keeps you healthy......so maybe your the one that is ill.

Your rant is ignorant of the harm it could do.

Boring.....i think you are confusing boring with sane

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
G
L
P
exodus.

That is all.

top topics

join