It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Memory Card

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Good morning all.

Hope the mods don't get too upset about this but I'm putting this thread on as a test of sorts. I just installed a new 1 Gig memory card and I want to test it out a little. So far so good, but the real test is having this site and You Tube up at the same time while I link a video up. Here goes.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Okay, that worked out really well.

I'm not much of a computer geek so this is kind of a big thing for me. I still have a slot left for 1 more 1 Gig card, but that's as much as my computer can hold, 2 Gigabytes. Any suggestions besides the obvious defragging route I can use to help speed this up even more? I have an HP Slimline Pavillion.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

My only suggestion/advice is getting yourself a program that will fix registry errors. I've found that registry errors are the most common reason for a slow computer.

you can find free and pay-for versions of CCleaner on the net. Works well, and even doubles as a tool to help uninstall programs without leaving the registry errors in the process.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Inquisitive1

I'll give that a shot,

thanx

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
quite often a reinstall is the best method as windows just seems to get slower and slower, just make sure you have any drivers and the latest service pack burned onto a cd to save time and the effort of downloading updates not needed and ofcourse "backup your data beforehand"

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
quite often a reinstall is the best method as windows just seems to get slower and slower, just make sure you have any drivers and the latest service pack burned onto a cd to save time and the effort of downloading updates not needed and ofcourse "backup your data beforehand"

A reinstall of what?

You lost me on everything else. Sounds like things I'll have to pay someone else to do.

So far the extra memory is working good though. I can work with mutliple tabs at one tme and everything is MUCH faster.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple

Originally posted by Maxatoria

A reinstall of what?

You lost me on everything else. Sounds like things I'll have to pay someone else to do.

So far the extra memory is working good though. I can work with mutliple tabs at one tme and everything is MUCH faster.

I think Maxatoria is referring to Windows itself. Sometimes reinstalling windows helps, but I'd consider that a kind of last resort as it tends to take awhile and will delete everything not already apart of Windows. Meaning you're downloaded programs and files will go bye bye, leaving only Windows (unless your files are on a separate partition, but now I'm getting complicated). you can save some of your stuff to CD/DVD(s) or a jump drive, but it'll have to reinstall any programs. Otherwise you face a whole mess of re-downloading on top of reinstalling anything additional.

Not to take away from Max's suggestion, though, because if your computer can't be speed up otherwise a reinstall of windows usually fixes that up nicely. That is if the problem isn't a hardware issue (Which it sounds like it's not). It will also fix any problems you have (and may not know about) that is software based. Like those registry errors I mentioned as well as viruses, spyware, bad drivers.. ext.ext.

In any case I'm rambling, But you get my point!

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
Okay, that worked out really well.

I'm not much of a computer geek so this is kind of a big thing for me. I still have a slot left for 1 more 1 Gig card, but that's as much as my computer can hold, 2 Gigabytes. Any suggestions besides the obvious defragging route I can use to help speed this up even more? I have an HP Slimline Pavillion.

Buy a new computer with 6 gigs of RAM. Laptop's are cheap these days.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

The only thing you can really do which affects the speed and power of a PC is upgrade the memory and upgrade the processor. A faster hard drive might be 3rd on the list but for internet stuff the difference will probably be minimal. My PC is 12 years old or so so you aren't alone. (I use Linux which has its own pro's and con's)

If you have many programs installed then that will also affect boot speed which is something you learn with time. With Windows, less is more unfortunately because of that registry. Every installed program adds to the bloat so if you have something large that you don't use, remove it. Often PC makers add "free" programs to make it seem like a better deal, such as Microsoft Works, an anti-virus that will expire in 3 months and other such junk. This is what a previous poster was referring to when he said "re-install Windows"

Hope it helps.

ETA It's not a memory card by the way, it's RAM or a memory stick. I was confused by the title thinking "Why does someone need help with a memory card?" as they are used by digital cameras and similar devices. Technically I think windows can use memory cards as additional system memory but they are too slow for serious use.

edit on 16/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
With a max of 2 gigs you would be a lot better off with linux. I doubt you are doing much gaming on that thing. Puppy linux is easy to install it and is known for being fast on slower machines. I had a 15 year old rig with puppy linux and that thing was FAST.
Ubuntu is also a good one, great for beginners but it will not be as fast as puppy linux but it would still be faster than it has ever been. Stay away from OpenSeus its slow.
distrowatch.com...
There is a bunch you could check out. Just don't get one with GNOME 3 (gnome 3 is pretty much linux's windows vista) and you are probably not going to want anything with KDE. GNOME and KDE are just desktop interfaces. I recommend linux for you because being able to use multiple tabs should not be a great accomplishment and with 1gig of ram there is not a whole lot of fun you could be having on your computer.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidWillts
With a max of 2 gigs you would be a lot better off with linux. I doubt you are doing much gaming on that thing. Puppy linux is easy to install it and is known for being fast on slower machines. I had a 15 year old rig with puppy linux and that thing was FAST.
Ubuntu is also a good one, great for beginners but it will not be as fast as puppy linux but it would still be faster than it has ever been. Stay away from OpenSeus its slow.
distrowatch.com...
There is a bunch you could check out. Just don't get one with GNOME 3 (gnome 3 is pretty much linux's windows vista) and you are probably not going to want anything with KDE. GNOME and KDE are just desktop interfaces. I recommend linux for you because being able to use multiple tabs should not be a great accomplishment and with 1gig of ram there is not a whole lot of fun you could be having on your computer.

Linux is garbage, nobody wants it. It's had 20 years to gain desktop relevance and has failed. Give it up you can't even give it away.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by PharohGnosis

I would not say linux is garbage. It is great if all you want to do is simple things and it has actually gained ground.
www.dell.com...
Im not one of these linux evangelist that thinks you can substitute linux for windows, you can't. But if you are just using it for simple tasks like web surfing,checking email and that sort of stuff linux is way better than windows or apple for that.

top topics

join