It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giving up alcohol for good- anyone on ATS managed it ?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by eyesdown

I am almost 3 years free of alcohol! I wouldnt even hesitate doing it! The difference i feel is amazing! Clear headed, not swollen, not irritable, no wasted days, no wasted evenings talking ****! haha! I am also 8 months wheat and gluten free and exercise 3 times a week. I cannot tell you the difference in my life, both spiritually and of course physically! I have WAY more fun than most when I'm out...and I'm a dj...out and about 'in the lifestyle' of parties...You won't look back...I promise it's better on this side! Plus the $$ u save!

Good luck...if you feel you need some help or want to be part of something, try AA or look up support groups in your community!

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I quit drinking two years ago after being a heavy drinker. Since them I'm almost done with college, I'm making more money than I've ever made and I'm in the first healthy relationship I've ever had. Best decision ever.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by eyesdown
Just out of curiosity really. I have been looking up the benefits from stopping drinking altogether as I am not one of those people that does things in moderation although I have got better in recent years. Still, if I go out for one I am likely to be that person who convinces you to stay for five.

I know that people say everything is ok in moderation, but what benefits do you get from completely removing it from your life. And have any of you succesfully stopped drinking and why ?

Also here are some links I have been reading about
personal benefits

and some about health benefits

Also I would usually research this hungover but as I am not it might actually be that It is something I do want to stick to.

I've been on both sides. I used to drink far too much and did things I regretted (several times). One day, after a really good time with some friends, I just lost the taste for it. Strangely, I just let it ride and didn't drink a drop for over a year. The reason I started again is because of health reasons, as odd as that sounds.

Now I religiously (meant in the most literal sense) drink but only alone (or with my best friend or wife) and not near as much as I used to. To me, it's a tool that breaks down some spiritual barriers that helps me when I'm working my ghost room at home. But like any medicine that accomplishes a goal, you must be vigilant in its rationing.

Advantages to quitting is myriad. Especially if you are comfortable with it. For example, I never drink and drive (not a drop) so it was always hard for me to go out since I live pretty far out of town. However, when I quit, I was able to go to bars and have a good time without having to worry how I would get home.

Negatives are also myriad. You will find that many of your friends won't invite you places because they think it may bother you. That may be the case for you so that may be a good thing.

All in all, if you are questioning if you need to quit, then you probably do. At least for a while.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I can unproudly say I have been addicted to alot of things. Before joining the Army I had been addicted to Cocaine, Alcohol, Xanax, Pain Pills, and somewhat Weed! I gave it all up when I joined the Army. After I got out I got on strong Pain killers (Oxy's, Opana, etc..) for 4 years. I have been clean for 3 months and can honestly say I feel better than I ever have. My advice to you is definately quit drinking, you will feel better for sure and be thankfully you did!

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Limiting your intake to a glass of red wine a day or less can be better for you than giving up totally

Red wine is very good for you.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I say don't give it up unless you're drinking it down every day. If you drink only once a week or so even to the state of being drunk, it's still not all that bad for you compared to the people that drink every day. Never let it get to the point where you drink every day or you'll be in some hot water later in life when it comes to your overall health.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by eyesdown
Just out of curiosity really. I have been looking up the benefits from stopping drinking altogether as I am not one of those people that does things in moderation although I have got better in recent years. Still, if I go out for one I am likely to be that person who convinces you to stay for five.

I know that people say everything is ok in moderation, but what benefits do you get from completely removing it from your life. And have any of you succesfully stopped drinking and why ?

Also here are some links I have been reading about
personal benefits

and some about health benefits

Also I would usually research this hungover but as I am not it might actually be that It is something I do want to stick to.

I'm guessing that if you're asking about it, then maybe you're having a problem with drinking? However, if you still have your job, your spouse, your health, and haven't gone to jail, whats the problem. No need to worry.., yet.

I can only speak for myself. I didn't want to go to jail. I didn't want to die prematurely. So, I MADE A.A. work for me. When you hit bottom you'll know what to do. Until then, quit whining and have fun.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
I am practically non-drinker, but I don't think I could give up my pint of Newcastle (draft) with my fish & chips at Two Fools Tavern in Albuquerque. Best F&C in the state.

Fish & Chips? Newcastle (Brown Ale?)? Sounds to me like you have a little English blood/heritage.
They have Fish & Chips in Albequerke? I can't even spell it

Part Irish, actually. Their fish batter is made with Guinness. Yum.

I don't work there or anything.. just giving a shout out if it's not against T&C:

Two Fools Irish Pub

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad

That was a very thoughtful post. I've already had one beer today (it's 2:20PM here).

just take it slow... I think I will watch a movie tonight with ma girl, and

...have a couple(read 4) beers as we watch... A nice quiet night.

well I just had the one. None the day before, and I don't really feel in the mood today... I think it's partly that all we have at the house is liquor and I'm a beer guy.

I don't seem to have any withdrawals so far. My mood is excellent. I guess I'm not really sleeping much though.
I don't want to but to be safe I think I should have a couple drinks tonight, unless I still have no problems by then.

Cool thread.

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

I don't work there or anything.. just giving a shout out if it's not against T&C:

Isn't this whole topic kind of borderline?
edit on 3/17/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Am I the only one seeing the "Being the life of the party can be the Death of you"Alcoholism kills" ad on this thread? And yes,it's only on this thread.Got a screen shot but don't know how to post it.Way to be inappropriate,ATS.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

why is it inapropiate
the name of the thread is, giving up alcohol
as u can tell from my spelling i wont be doing anything of the likes anytime soon

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

You really need to keep youreself occupied

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Shed 're wurss somlobing lang the linhrt af wbat I west-thirping... plue!! Ig cohutfre't afrtonerd tuhmoufave mugglehut on that ltsarng. I lpoust it dron floaor twoggle niggys...thanterot... theo pimnt of this has bjertn luist lesag agogo. Shenner dopplen't need ykjaur liggersts angrundyre... ...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join