It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do stars strobe green, red and white?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by NotAnAspie

I don't know about stars but I believe planets do. I remember catching Betelgeuse on camera (at least that is what people said it was) strobing red, blue, green alternately. Satellites also could appear to strobe. I saw one that looked like pacman "c"shaped and it was also strobing a rainbow of colors. I do not know why.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
twinkle twinkle little star...

Seriously(Siriusly LOL)...Sirius is most likely the star you see strobing, throw in a bit a of blue and you have a lovely evening for twinkles but crappy for Stellar photography. Yes stars strobe...google it you will see many layman posting "Do stars strobe???" and Many an Astronomer saying yes indeed they do.

One time I saw Sirius and I swear I could see it rotate it was flashing so predictably! Why so Sirius??? LOL

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

I don't know about stars but I believe planets do. I remember catching Betelgeuse on camera (at least that is what people said it was) strobing red, blue, green alternately. Satellites also could appear to strobe. I saw one that looked like pacman "c"shaped and it was also strobing a rainbow of colors. I do not know why.

NO you are incorrect Planets do not strobe or flash because they are reflected light. Maybe very, very low they may shimmer but there is a big difference between that and the twinkle of a star.

math.ucr.edu...
edit on 16-3-2012 by abeverage because: To add a link

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I may be wrong but I believe the twinkling is caused by both their planets orbiting them and atmospheric conditions. The planets gravitational pull also causes the stars to look as if they are bouncing.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

as somone else said "twinkle twinkle" just the prism effect of looking at strong white light.its your eyes dude.
why this makes me think of the double rainbow dude i do not know...can anyone be bothered to do a parody,i know i cant

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

Originally posted by newcovenant

NO you are incorrect Planets do not strobe or flash because they are reflected light. Maybe very, very low they may shimmer but there is a big difference between that and the twinkle of a star.

math.ucr.edu...
edit on 16-3-2012 by abeverage because: To add a link

Well then how come I posted one here that I filmed changing color and was told it was Betelgeuse. I guess it must have been a Giant Simon in the sky then.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by chanel

Good!

And, a *star* for you (and your squirrel with the coffee habit!).

The appearance of "twinkling" stars, or the points of light that resemble stars but are in fact just the reflected Sunlight shining a few of our local, nearest and dearest planets, in our Solar System...

....the "twinkling" seen is COMPLETELY...and I mean COMPLETELY. due to the Earth's atmosphere!!

We mere mortals (down here on the Earth's surface) must gaze at the skies through the atmosphere. 'IF' one were to be 'magically' transported up above that atmosphere, then the "twinkling" would no longer be observed.

Period.

And if this thread has gone on based on the ignorance of this simple concept? Then.....I cry....I cry.....at the level of abject ignorance that some have.

There is a possible benefit, though.....maybe, just maybe (and hopefully) some who read this one day will find a way to shrug off just that little tiny bit of "ignorance", and be better for it as a result........

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Not just stars can twinkle, planets do it also. It doesn't matter which object light comes. Lower stars twinkle more, their light needs travel much longer in atmosphere. Sometimes, twinkling can be very dramatical, depending on weather and conditions in atmosphere. Brighter the star, brighter is this twinkling and colors are much more visible.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ameliaair
I may be wrong but I believe the twinkling is caused by both their planets orbiting them and atmospheric conditions. The planets gravitational pull also causes the stars to look as if they are bouncing.

That also, but it can take months or years between every twinkle, and its barely noticeable by naked eye.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311

And here's the best of them all.

You may be truly truly evil. I cannot believe I watched that all the way through. And, if anybody accuses me of listening to that whole Barney like song I will just deny it ever happened.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

The atmosphere has lumps and waves in it.

When light is passed through a prism, it is split up into a rainbow (think the Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" album cover logo).

When starlight goes through our wavy and bumpy atmosphere it is also splits the light into a rainbow, but dynamically, changing moment by moment.

This makes stars "twinkle", they change colors & flicker rapidly.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I See it everyday... for a while it intrigued me, now It doesnt phase me at all. But ill get the android star map and figure it out for us.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Yes, they do, as you can see in this thread.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

Yup!!!

Not just stars can twinkle, planets do it also.

And....YOU get a star!!!

Bingo!

Thanks, and good for stating facts.

ATS needs more facts.....(instead of, well....the "other" trend)......

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ILikeStars

I cannot believe I watched that all the way through. And, if anybody accuses me of listening to that whole Barney like song I will just deny it ever happened.

Hey!!

YOU "like" stars....LOL...

The Sun is a star.....

so.......if you found that song hard to take, well......GET THIS!!!:

( Yeah.....it's one of my favorite songs....ever!!!
)

"The Sun is a mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace!!!.......)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

Well ... that song was just .... delicious.

now take this:

edit on 16-3-2012 by ILikeStars because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Is the star out there tonight?

It clear, so I should be able to get picture or a video on it.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I remember a couple of nights ago, my mother and i were pulling into a driveway, its on a hill, so we park facing toawrds the sky, and luckily, we have jupiter and venus in view, straight ahead when we park, they now look like two eyes from my position in western missouri, but that night when we pulled in i was looking up at venus, because its so bright, and i swore i couldve seen it flash blue, or green perhaps, then when i looked at it directly, it changed back to white, then as we passed under the tree in our driveway, a branch blocked it out for a split second, then, i swear this on my grandfathers grave, venus flashed a deep red, then back to white....

if you have a program like stellarium, or maybe google sky map on your droid, or iphone, you could check to see which heavenly bodies are in your part of the sky at the moment, you may be looking at venus.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Sounds like Italy has something up their sleeve..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join