It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do stars strobe green, red and white?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
So nobody got that? Well... crap. I tried. That was crazy #, I've never seen a star do like a Christmas light. It's going behind a tree now.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
It is a star, and I am sad to say that their little light show got me too. It would flash green, red, blue, and white for hours every night. At first I thought it may have been an actual UFO, but alas it was a star. It seems to happen more often around this time of year too. It is not a planet, it is a star. Don't be ashamed, it has caught more than a few people.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
Scintillation...so yes, they do strobe different colours

"Scintillation or twinkling are generic terms for rapid variations in apparent brightness or color of a distant luminous object viewed through the atmosphere."

edit on 16-3-2012 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

I don't know why people keep repeating this like I've never seen a twinkling star before.

Do you get that I have never seen one do what THIS star is doing?

I guess people just have nothing better to do.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by davidwaters84
It is a star, and I am sad to say that their little light show got me too. It would flash green, red, blue, and white for hours every night. At first I thought it may have been an actual UFO, but alas it was a star. It seems to happen more often around this time of year too. It is not a planet, it is a star. Don't be ashamed, it has caught more than a few people.

Is there an astronomy forum that this can be moved to because I must have looked over it and people in here don't seem to understand that regardless of what it is, It would have been cool to talk about it and look at it with people who didn't just want to make meaningless posts.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotAnAspie

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
Scintillation...so yes, they do strobe different colours

"Scintillation or twinkling are generic terms for rapid variations in apparent brightness or color of a distant luminous object viewed through the atmosphere."

edit on 16-3-2012 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

I don't know why people keep repeating this like I've never seen a twinkling star before.

Do you get that I have never seen one do what THIS star is doing?

I guess people just have nothing better to do.

Just because you havent ever seen it doesnt mean im not right

Have you got stellarium??? If so punch in where you are, and it will show a star where this mysterious light is

I have better things to do, but i dont mind educating people in my spare time
You asked for answers, no need to be rude. If you think its aliens, fair enough.....il give up now

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I agree with usmc0311, Hawking and a few other members.

Atmospheric conditions closer to the horizon can definately enhance the "twinkling" effect of stars. Yes, stars can appear to change colors and brightness due to particles in the atmosphere, and a similiar effect as what we see with mirages due to temperature changes and humidity. These things also enhance the twinkling of stars.

From the placement of what you described in relation to where you are located in this hemisphere, it is likely the star you may be seeing is Sirius. Sirius is the brightest star in our heavens, but it is actually a dual star solar system. It takes both suns about 50 years to rotate around eachother. Sirius A is about twice as massive as the Sun and it is 25 times more luminous than the Sun.

*If what you were looking at was to the left of the Constellation Orion and closer to the ground, then it was probably Sirius.

edit on 16-3-2012 by ILikeStars because: *

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I don't think it was a star... I bet if anything it was a satellite. I have no idea why it was doing that but it was unnatural. yeah, yeah... I know... satellites don't do that but I have never seen a star do what this was doing either... and I have seen plenty of twinkling stars.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   

No, i want a video of what is happening with the star that's in the sky right now. i want to get a video of that, be it a star or not... that is crazy!.... I have never seen a star do that.

I can't tell if it's moving, maybe it is but I can clearly see multiple colors. It's is just so weird... none of the other stars are doing that and it really isn't that close to the horizon.

I can't get that for you right now. There's too much overcast for that.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
You're new here.

I'd HIGHLY suggest not calling users on here horrific names such as what you just did. no one had to take time out to read your post and reply with the truth as they did just for you to snub it all and then add insult.

We'd like you to stay to see 50,000 posts at some point.
But keep up the uncalled for rudeness and you won't get to 100 posts. Mods here are fast to give talkings-to, then bans for rude behavior.

You had answers from some of the smartest folk I know of on here who have been on far longer than you.
Show some respect and courtesy, please.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by NotAnAspie

Man, some people. If you had a camera and were too lazy to go outside then... ahh... forget it. I don't want to waste my time trying to explain something so simple to an *******.

Im in the Uk......its 7:30am.....no stars in the sky, so why would i grab a camera to film it??

Why post a thread if you are just going to insult and ignore everyone??
Hopefully you are banned again, you are clearly not cut out to be on here

edit on 16-3-2012 by loves a conspiricy because: edited out profanities in quoted text

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Is there an astronomy forum that this can be moved to because I must have looked over it and people in here don't seem to understand that regardless of what it is, It would have been cool to talk about it and look at it with people who didn't just want to make meaningless posts.

By all means if you think its cool to talk about do so and make a video if you wish. However, you described the thing you are seeing as something that changes from green, to red, to blue, to white. This is exactly what starts to do when the conditions are right. We are not making meaningless posts, we are trying to help you be telling you more than likely you are seeing a star. Unless what you are seeing is moving in a weird fashion it is a star. I have seen them do this before, and yes it seems rather strange when you first see them.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
OK, I was putting together a few videos of different stars to help you identify if it was one of them, but after the way I see you are treating people who are trying to help you I've decided you are on your own.

Your the one who asked for our opinions in the OP so I don't understand the attitude. Anyway good luck getting help around here if you continue to act the way you do.

link   
ATTENTION

Please show some courtesy to each other. We're here for the discussions, not to insult each other or compare brain pans.

link   
wow, I understand your frustration but you do need to tone it down a bit, starting to sound l like my niece now.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   

By all means if you think its cool to talk about do so and make a video if you wish. However, you described the thing you are seeing as something that changes from green, to red, to blue, to white. This is exactly what starts to do when the conditions are right. We are not making meaningless posts, we are trying to help you be telling you more than likely you are seeing a star. Unless what you are seeing is moving in a weird fashion it is a star. I have seen them do this before, and yes it seems rather strange when you first see them.

It doesn't have to be a star... ACTUALLY.

Some of you people are truly pointless to talk to. No one in here has helped at all... not one teeny little bit.

thanks for being such a waste of time.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Lol hey bud...

You ever consider that we're all sharing our personal experiences and knowledge so that you won't continue thinking that this is a UFO filled with aliens and therefore shouldn't be in the Aliens and UFO forum?

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join