It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's official... Google IS the Dark Side:

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

1. I dont have curtains and my door is not a PRIVACY issue. Its just there to keep ppl from... you know, STEALING MY STUFF and too keep out what I dont want in... its not about privacy.

Maybe you should look up the word "privacy" because your number 1 is ALL ABOUT privacy.

I don't think people want to live in a fish bowl. We are private by nature. It isn't a right or wrong issue, it's a privacy issue. We like our walls! And doors! And PRIVACY!

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
To me the arguement that "if you have nothing to hide" is seriously flawed. All the data mining taking place now is for predictive purposes. They are trying to predict what people are going to do. It doesn't matter what you have done, it's what they think you will do in the future that matters.

For the corporations: So I bought a copy of "Mein Kampf", go ahead and try to predict what I'll buy next. Whether it's a copy of "White People are God's People" or "The Psychological Underpinnings of Adolf Hitler's Infantile Regressive Paranoia" Sorry, but it's most likely going to be "Calvin and Hobbes Go To The Circus." So waste all that money trying to figure people's future behavior. If my behavior is normal, then I believe most people don't see a great majority of advertising that's thrown at them. We're so overly exposed to them that we just block them all out. I passed a lot of ads to get to this page, but do I know what any of them were for? I haven't a clue. I ignore them because they are in the "advertising spots" on the pages. It's the same with TV... as soon as a commercial break comes up, my mind starts thinking about something else instantly.

For the government: So I bought a copy of "Mein Kampf", but.. uh oh... some pencil pushing profiler at the FBI believes most terrorists read that book. So am I safe? Uh Oh... I subscribe to Hotfile and Fileserve... the FBI say most terrorists subscribe to them, too, to share information. So am I safe? Uh oh.. I go to a gym.... the FBI says most terrorists go to the gym to get physically fit for their next attack. And uh oh... I post on an Internet forum.... maybe everything I type is just code detailing the next big strike. Maybe in the FBI's crack terrorist decoder book "I" really means "We" and "pencil" means "bomb" and "advertising" means "tomorrow." So am I safe? The FBI is probably saying "he's got five strikes all ready, if he buys a bag of fertilizer or talks about a "Big Wedding" we're locking him up"

This is a simplistic example, but who knows what they are thinking.. it's not like they are telling anyone. But we know they are locking up completely innocent people right now. And history tells us that all governments have tried to eliminate perceived threats before they cause trouble. Am I a perceived threat? Are you? We probably all think we're not, but it doesn't matter what we think. What matters is what the people in power think and when I listen to the public government people I shake my head in disbelief. So what are the people behind the scenes thinking... we don't know... it's a secret.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by seamus

Good one, buddy.

One who really knows the score knows he has nothing to hide, and no way to hide it if he did, AND no reason to hide it if he had a way, because in actuality...

Someone a whole lot more important than the government is really in charge.

I never delete my history either (sometimes it saves me the effort of re-looking up some arcane stuff i stumbled across).

When the world becomes such that the gubmint can/wants to take me out, I welcome the favor. Till then...

GAME ON!

And its exactly THIS!... Thanks for understanding really. I was losing my faith!

Star for you mate

EDIT: "One who really knows the score knows he has nothing to hide, and no way to hide it if he did, AND no reason to hide it if he had a way" It was really all about this... its EXACTLY this.
edit on 17-3-2012 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Guess what? In the future, if they do something illegal/unconstitutional like martial law, or putting people in camps, then you might be rounded up because of books you bought, or sites you visited, like this one. So don't give us this crap about "I have nothing to hide".

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
reply to post by chr0naut

The photo is from the article.
If you have insider info, you should contact Gizmoto and let them know that their photo is wrong.

Please re-read the article. Although not clearly stated, the photo is of an Equinix IBX Data Center.

The entire article is a subtle advert for Equinix, implying (but not directly stating) that they host Google. They may in fact do so, or have done so, but the photo is not of a Google Data center.

Google have their own purpose built PC's, designed specifically to integrate into their other redundant hardware, and are on a scale that few data center hosting companies can compare with.

Please feel free to review this link to see the inner "secrets" of Google's Data Ceners.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Piano posted the photo because it was at the top of the article.
Sure, it mentions other companies because it talks about how Google shares space with them.
Why are you so stuck on the photo? It seems as though it's just a way for you to brag about your "tech" knowledge. If you've had access to these facilities, go ahead and enlighten us about what you did there and how you would feel working in the dark wearing a mining helmet. Did you? How did it make you feel? Did you enjoy working in those conditions?
Why can't you focus on the actual meat this thread is about? Piano isn't discussing the photo at all in the Op, so why are you making such a huge deal about it?
Like I already suggested, maybe you can enlighten Gizmodo about the photo they're using. They may take your suggestions to heart and place a proper photo with their articles next time.
edit on 17-3-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I have come to think of Google
as that Annoying Poodle,
that likes to hump your leg,
while the owner states,
Don't worry he won't hurt you.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought

Piano posted the photo because it was at the top of the article.
Sure, it mentions other companies because it talks about how Google shares space with them.
Why are you so stuck on the photo? It seems as though it's just a way for you to brag about your "tech" knowledge. If you've had access to these facilities, go ahead and enlighten us about what you did there and how you would feel working in the dark wearing a mining helmet. Did you? How did it make you feel? Did you enjoy working in those conditions?
Why can't you focus on the actual meat this thread is about? Piano isn't discussing the photo at all in the Op, so why are you making such a huge deal about it?
Like I already suggested, maybe you can enlighten Gizmodo about the photo they're using. They may take your suggestions to heart and place a proper photo with their articles next time.
edit on 17-3-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

Not bragging, never been there or worked for Google.

... but I do work in IT and the article was at odds with details that Google have freely published about their system, software, hardware and data centers. (You do know they have even published the specific details of the motherboard design for their PC platform, including manufacturer and what publicly available model they based their design on, don't you)?

Google do turn off lighting and pointless blinking lights to save power. When no-one is there, they are simply a waste of power.

Lighting a data center with "caving headlights" alone would make some of the tasks that technicians do in data centers quite difficult and would be a safety hazard, however, a torch is useful to help you see into nooks where the room lights don't reach. Also, when the power goes out and everything is running on the UPS (Un-interruptable Power Supply which is a battery powered, power supply, for the novices) data centers and server rooms become very dark, which mandates the use of a flashlight.

A battery powered torch is a standard IT Tech accessory.

If you've never worked in a server room or data center during a power outage, then it is likely that you'd never realize how vital a flashlight is.

Also, if you read the comments by IT Techies at the footer of the article, you would realize that turning the lights off is fairly standard operating procedure for data centers.

By the way, I have left a message for Gizmodo as have several others (if you read the comments).

edit on 18/3/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

you would realize that turning the lights off is fairly standard operating procedure for data centers.

Yes, of course it is.
You're not the only one who has worked around a large computer system. The one I worked around was in the security office at a very large convention center. Yes, it was hot in there, but they always had the lights on even though there was a large flat screen TV on the wall and about 12 computer monitors supplying light. All they would do is place a couple of fans in the room and kept the AC at a lower temperature.

You are free to believe what you will, but I'll stick with my view of them wanting to protect themselves against espionage. Wearing mining helmets every day you work sounds a bit odd to me.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

What it boils down to is this. No matter what, your information will never be private while on the net. Someone some where will always be able to access it. If you dont want others to know about it, Dont put it online

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmotley

What it boils down to is this. No matter what, your information will never be private while on the net. Someone some where will always be able to access it. If you dont want others to know about it, Dont put it online

Exactly... whats all this fuss about "internet privacy" since it doesnt exist, nor ever did. Its a stupid illusion of ppl with no awareness of their surroundings or "how stuff works".

Altho theres a few who understand it, like you for example, the majority think its actually possible to have "privacy" on the internet. I dont get ppl, seriously.

To me... "internet" and "privacy" contradict each other by the very concept.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I don't blame them this world is cut throat. 1hen your king of the mountain everybodys gunning to steal market share any way they can

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join