It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Service Providers to start policing internet/copyright by July 12

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I think this is a huge infringement on our privacy,
They will be monitoring all of our internet connections, and watching what websites we visit, what we download, etc.

It's an outrage, If my ISP does this, I will be boycotting and switching to a new ISP

Comcast, Cablevision, Verizon, Time Warner Cable and other bandwidth providers announced that they had agreed to adopt policies designed to discourage customers from illegally downloading music, movies and software.

But during a panel discussion before a gathering of U.S. publishers here today, Cary Sherman, CEO of the Recording Industry Association of America, said most of the participating ISPs are on track to begin implementing the program by July 12.

"Each ISP has to develop their infrastructure for automating the system," Sherman said. They need this "for establishing the database so they can keep track of repeat infringers, so they know that this is the first notice or the third notice. Every ISP has to do it differently depending on the architecture of its particular network. Some are nearing completion and others are a little further from completion."

The program, commonly referred to as "graduated response," requires that ISPs send out one or two educational notices to those customers who are accused of downloading copyrighted content illegally. If the customer doesn't stop, the ISP is then asked to send out "confirmation notices" asking that they confirm they have received notice.

At that time, the accused customers will also be informed of the risks they incur if they don't stop pirating material. If the customer is flagged for pirating again, the ISP can then ratchet up the pressure. Participating ISPs can choose from a list of penalties, or what the RIAA calls "mitigation measures," which include throttling down the customer's connection speed and suspending Web access until the subscriber agrees to stop pirating.

The ISPs can waive the mitigation measure if they choose and not one of the service providers has agreed to permanently terminate service.

news.cnet.com...

edit on 15-3-2012 by DjSuperman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DjSuperman

They probably already monitor everything, so they can throw tailored advertisements at you.

Remember not to download with a parrot on your shoulder.
edit on 15/3/2012 by Grifter81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Oh crap my only options are the ISPs who will be spying on me. Doesn't surprise me, they're all owned by the elites. Surprised this didn't happen earlier.

Anonymous will not be happy

edit on 15-3-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Isps already do this everywhere and everything you do they already know websites like google,facebook and twitter already take that step 1 step further in essences you are being profiled.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Whats an infringment is YOU...doing whatever the hell you want with any of my 300+ copyrighted material...both music and books. As long as you dont own anything...youll never understand.

And yes...I do agree with filesharing with restriction...so dont go there with me...Unless of course you are on a par with us copyright holders...as an owner of any copyright...even #1.

Thanks

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
When file sharing is gone, does that mean the materials will be cheaper or more expensive?

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

I've never even heard of you, so what are you talking about?

I produce music and I don't even care if anyone downloads it and shares it.
A lot of record labels and artists even uploads their own music, to sites like Youtube, and File Sharing sites for people to download

Even with people downloading movies and music, major record labels and movie studios are still making billions of dollars, from licensing, advertisements, dvd's, concerts, etc

If you can't make any money, then that is your own fault for getting into a business that has that kind of risk,
and it does not justify infringing on people's privacy and freedom
edit on 15-3-2012 by DjSuperman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Two Words TOR and MESH research them make them your friend. Privacy is not a privilege it is a right. IMO

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
If we get word of this spread soon enough we can cause a stir, just as we did with SOPA and ACTA. It figures, after they failed to get this through by legal force they try to push it through with the market. Well, we'll show them that we can protest and harass just as we did to our government to get them off the issue, at least temporarily.

Fortunately, there are options to help with anonymity when browsing. I already have Tor on both of my computers, with my laptop set up as a relay, which I also use for more sensitive browsing.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

You really are misinformed. You think I actually use my own name or of my group here? And my music is in the Sopranos, Trains, Planes and Automobiles with John Candy and Tommy Boy with Chris Farley.

Last year I made over $35,000 in world-wide royalties and so will my children when Im long dead.

As you indicated by your response...you had no clue I get $$$ from my songs and books...so equally speaking...youve no idea what a copyright is for, how it works, what percentages go to the publisher, composer, author, arranger and that drummer who may have written that last line in some song he gets 1% of 5o% of jsut the composition rights... of the performance rights.

Of course you didnt know there are separate rights to a performance whereas the show performed on OWNS the rights to it...even if we own the songs and its us performing. Of course you didnt.

Another thread by one who has little clue about the inner working of the very topic they are addressing.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Encrypted torrent traffic on non-standard ports or use the port of a very popular game that you don't play at all and encrypt it. They won't notice your downloading and even though they notice the traffic is encrypted when normally this game sends plain text they can't police what they can't see

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
i own multiple copies of games i love.

diablo 2 warcraft 3 tribes1-3 WOW battlefield 1982-2142
I throw my money at the goodgame makers... and i think the crappy companies deserve to have their money stolen.

isnt it great the head honchos of those record companies can OVER CHARGE you for music and movies... so they can pay themselves and other WAY more money than they could spend in a year.

Who cares if chinese people are jumping off of buildings to avoid work tomorrow, atleast those rich stupid %&^*s are taking shots off the boobs of some stripper.
edit on 16-3-2012 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

You actually have another high speed ISP to that you can switch to?

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

Who cares if chinese people are jumping off of buildings to avoid work tomorrow, .
edit on 16-3-2012 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)
Those poor bastards over there. i saw a report on cnn about 3 weeks ago on their working conditions over there. unbeliveable. They talked to one woman who lived in kind of a dorm room with multiple other people. She'd been there for 6 months and didn't even know the name of the people she was living with. She worked for apple. So yeah everybody, keep buying the latest and greatest from apple. As long as your needs are satisfied F everbody else. Right?
edit on 16-3-2012 by alkesh because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-3-2012 by alkesh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by alkesh

Just think.. if the salary of all those executives was 10,000 less a year.... we could make all those workers the happiest people on earth.

Its all about greed... paying the people closest to you for their help and silence in the abuse of others.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

profit profit profit my friend. Sadly, greed seems to be the only thing the world can agree about. We fight and kill each other over everything else except when it comes to screwing over the little guy to make a f'n dollar. truely sad

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
If what I was reading recently was true, my ISP is already doing that. I had a bad modem that caused my internet to go out for 5-10 seconds every 3 to 5 minutes. At the time I didn't know what the problem was and went searching on the internet looking for some answers. I finally found the forum for my ISP where you can report problems and try to get help (they don't tell you this place exists, you find it by accident). As I was browsing through there looking for an answer (turned out it was a common problem and lots of people had gotten crappy modems from this provider) I came across quite a number of threads complaining about people getting their service shut off for copyright infringement/illegal downloading.

I hadn't heard of anything like that before, so I (in my horribly nosy curiosity) opened the threads and these people were complaining about having to go use a friend or family member's internet to complain and find out why they were having this problem. Almost every complaint that I read said that they called the provider and were told the reason was copyright infringement/illegal downloading and that the customer service rep refused to say anything beyond that and would shortly thereafter just flat out hang up. A handful of these people claimed that they lived completely alone and that they had never downloaded any music/movies/etc. and couldn't understand what was happening. An online help rep responded and claimed that they would have gotten notices and notice confirmations three different times and that they would be able to check those for the reason for disconnection. All but one of them (the one who actually admitted that they really had been legitimately busted) claimed that they had not received a single thing from the provider, they just had no service one day.

These people were offering to have techs come in and examine every aspect of their computers to show that they didn't have anything that they were being accused of having. I don't know how hard it would have been for these people to just delete whatever it was if they had been downloading stuff they shouldn't have been, but they were offering to have someone check their equipment out.

The online rep claimed that it wasn't possible that they got shut off without being warned and also having acknowledged the confirmation warning, but most stood by their assertion that they hadn't received any notice of any kind. If I remember correctly, I think the outcome was "Too bad, so sad. Don't care, not our problem anymore."

If it had only been one or two complaints of this nature I would have just assumed that the people complaining were guilty and didn't want to admit it, but this was a really large number of complaints all with almost the exact same story. It led me to believe that my ISP was really doing this. Problem for most of us with this company is that they have a monopoly in the area. No other provider can come in and offer service, as specified in the provider's contract with the village. So, we can't even cancel and go to the competition, we're stuck with this company or no service at all.

Anyway, sorry for the novel. I just wanted to mention that some ISP's are already doing this and how I came to find that mine is one of the providers early into the game.

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
See, the problem here with the idea that some who create things that produce income for them forever without having to lift a finger ever again goes against the grain. Why should that be so? I'm against the idea of retirement even - personally - because if you're not producing anything good for your community then please get the hell out and make room. Please don't jump in with infirm/handicaps/otherwise challenged individuals and their right to exist. That's not what this is about. It's about lounging around and resting on your laurels.

Artistic work is inspired by the environment. Are you artists giving proper due to those who inspired you? Are you really so arrogant as to think that you conjured that up with a symphony of both of your operating braincells? Others inspired you. No man is an island. Credit where credit is due. Share with the world and stop focusing on your greedy little belly button.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

I wonder if your view on retirement will change when you reach retirement age? Or if you are forced to retire through injury, sickness etc?

I also see the artists point of view. It's their job, their living after all?
edit on 16/3/2012 by Grifter81 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join