It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We need a new grassroots movement to save us

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Hello ATS'ers.

As I watched the rise of movements such as the Tea Party and Occupy, my heart started to warm as I know there are people in the world that do want to fix America and the world from corruption. However, I unfortunately also watched the gradual downfall of the movements. The Tea Party, infiltrated by neo-conservatives, and the Occupy movement slowly decreasing in popularity, (in my opinion) due to the anti-capitalist (and rather scattered) messages.

When I look at the aftermath of the movements, I can begin to speculate as to why they aren't still going strong today, and from what I've gathered, I believe they have failed for a few reasons. 1. The Tea Party was a conservative movement, discouraging independents and Democrats from hopping on and helping out. I think it's the same problem with the Occupy movement, except it being mostly a Liberal movement (Or at least on the surface). 2. The Tea Party was mostly against big government, as the Occupy movement was mostly against big banks.

I believe these differences meant the world in terms of popularity and ideology. A conservative republican may not be encouraged to join in on the occupy movement due to the ideology, and occupiers may not want to be involved with the Tea Party because of the ideology. This made the resistance to tyranny divided by partisan politics, keeping each movement from gaining a lot of momentum.

As i thought about it more and more, I began to imagine what a non-partisan movement could do. One super tea party meets occupy that brings people of all ages, ideologies, and world views together to unite against a common sense goal. That the way things are, need to be changed. What kind of an impact could that have?

I see every day on ATS that people are waiting for a cause to start that everyone can get behind, There were naysayers of the Tea Party, and naysayers of the Occupy Movement, but what if there were little to no naysayers for a new, huge movement? What if such a movement started, what if it wen't viral?

I think great things could be done, i think it could really change the way we think about the world, and maybe this time, it can crafted to fit all people, instead of appealing to a minority.

I know there will be naysayers here as well, but I ask you, people of ATS. Is this worth a shot? or am i dreaming a bit too big?

-MrRamblinRose

edit on 15-3-2012 by MrRamblinRose because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-3-2012 by MrRamblinRose because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-3-2012 by MrRamblinRose because: changed wording.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
The only way another grassroots movement will work is if it is directed towards the corruption in the Mainstream Media. It is the MSM who decides if they are going to support or smear a movement so I think they need to be the first obstacle of reforming.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
How is that even possible? The idea of everyone getting on-board with a philosophy or purpose; it hasn't happened in the history of mankind.

Heck, contrary to what Regan said, if the world were faced with an outside threat, even that wouldn't unite humanity. I'm sure more than one nation would try to side with any ETs so they could survive or be the dominant humans on the planet.

It all comes down to who has the most people to back a philosophy and how many just stand on the sides. Many of the issues that divide the American people now, are fundamental. There is very little, if any, wiggle room on some principles.

It would be nice to think that everyone agreed on something, but that doesn't even happen in dreams.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
You're dreaming big, but big things can come from dreams.

To be successful, a revolution must have the following:
1. A common enemy
2. A common goal
3. A bonding event that unites the masses
4. A clear plan
5. Effective leadership
6. Access to resources

I feel like the US is teetering on the edge of change. It's like watching a flock of birds gathering together. Random grouping, small flocks here and there, finally merging into one giant group.

Occupy, Tea-Party: these are the beginnings. Until we can unite and agree on a goal, I fear we will make no progress.

S&F

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Umm, no movements allowed. Read the Terms & Conditions of ATS. They really do not want to be the focus of any sort of movement or have one start from here. I think the pertinent clause is below, though there may be more to it:

15e.) Recruitment/Solicitation:

i) You will not use your membership in the Websites for any type of recruitment to any causes whatsoever. You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to disseminate advertisements, chain letters, petitions, pyramid schemes, or any kind of solicitation for political action, social action, letter campaigns, or related online and/or offline coordinated actions of any kind.
edit on 3/15/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I like this, and you really hit the nail on the head with the partisan politics. The way I see it, Democrats and Republicans both try very hard to polarize the views of most Americans. Why? So that we WONT come together in one huge grass-roots movement and toss them all out on their butts. In the public lime-light they pretend to have major differences, but in reality they are on the same team. They try to distract us with issues like abortion, birth control, and gay marriage. Tell me, how are any of those issues going to get this country back on track? All the while, they are voting for bill after bill after bill that rapes the people of their rights.

I say WAKE UP AMERICA. These crooks in Washington have us so confused with this partisan bullcrap that we are literally crippled with hate for each other. A country divided is doomed to fail. Pull off the blinders, put aside your personal grudges and do whats right for the country.

Excellent read, OP.

Edit: Oh, and the main stream media is equally as guilty as any politician.
edit on 15-3-2012 by ProjectBlue because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I don't think we need to worry about breaking T&C. This is talk, a pondering of "what if.".
It's simply a discussion on what a true movement would need in order to succeed.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Obviously the T & C prevents anything starting here but before I read that, the first thing I thought of was how easily a movement with it's beginnings tracing back to a conspiracy website would be discredited or become a laughing stock.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by MrRamblinRose

This has been tried many times, and just as many times has been co-opted by all manner of things via media manipulation.
So you listen to prophetic words and hope for the future.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

I just hope we figure out who the true enemy is before we do anything rash.
Divide and conquer has worked stellar so far...

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MrRamblinRose

Well yes. I do agree. Both movements were rather "fringe" movements despite the initial hub-bub about them. The tea-party became identified with the far right and ows with the far left. The extremes of either end are viewed (possibly rightfully so) with suspicion by those in the middle.

It interesting that those in the middle are often the quietest, but are the biggest group of people. Marketing movements to the masses may be the next big thing.

Of course, neither the far left or far right might be very happy about a movement from the middle.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
reply to post by schuyler

I don't think we need to worry about breaking T&C. This is talk, a pondering of "what if.".
It's simply a discussion on what a true movement would need in order to succeed.

I've seen milder ones get axed. Just sayin'. Besides, we can't even agree on what is wrong. Most of the so-called movements that are admired here on ATS I would happily work against with gusto.

new topics

top topics

join