Apple iBook G4...Very Strange For a PC Guy.. HELP!!!! LOL

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
First and foremost I am a PC guy. Part of my job is actually Computer Forensics and so far I have dodged the perverbial bullet and never had to do an Apple product, but that luck can not last forever

So... I had a few dollars in my pocket, found myself in my favorite pawn shop, discovered an Apple iBook G4 for $175.00, and here I am

Very strange animal

I have some questions I hope you computer geniuses can answer for me. First remember, although I am a Computer Forensics Expert and can build PCs, that does NOT make me a computer expert. Treat me like the novice I am please

First the unit

Apple iBook G4
White (I know that does not matter but you never know)
Operating system Mac OS X Version 10.3.9
640mb DDR SDRAM
100 something? Gig HDD

Now the questions

1. Can I upgrade the RAM myself and how hard and expensive is it to do?
2. Can I upgrade the OS myself and how hard and expensive is it to do?
3. I have a big bar at the bottom of my screen with a Firefox icon but no amount of clicking will get FF to start?
4. I'm running Safari and can't find the spell checker. Any idea how to get it working?
5. Can I make the bar at the bottom smaller?

That is five questions so I will stop with those now. I may have more later

Let me thank all you computer whizes in advance

Oh yeah one more thing.. Did I get a good deal?

Semper

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
The model would be helpful as well, should be on the bottom like non mac versions.

The 10.3.9 is probably the best your G4 can handle for MAC OS wise. Might be able to get a ppc version of Linux, but your a PC guy so not sure about that.

As for getting a deal, that depends. If its a hobby or learning experience, then is that worth the time and investment for you?
edit on 15-3-2012 by calnorak because: (no reason given)

Oh, I know that you can go to crucial.com (on the mac) and on a pc anyways have it auto scan and it can tell you all about the best types of memory and if you can add more (plus a cost from them). Not sure if the mac can auto scan, but you can use the drop down once you know the model and can go from their.
edit on 15-3-2012 by calnorak because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by calnorak

No numbers on the bottom

The only information I can find is what I have posted

I tried downloading a mac version of Firefox and it just says "Unable To Mount" .. Whatever that means

Yeah it is just for me to learn on in case I have to operate one in the future

Oh yeah.. I also tried downloading the mac version of google chrome.. Same message

Not frustrated yet, I actually consider this kind of fun

Semper

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Like you, Apple is something I have zero experience with so cannot help at all. Googling the specs you posted it seems like you have the last model (most recent) of the G4 version and you should be able to upgrade the RAM to over a gigabyte. The only person on ATS I have seen with an Apple is (probably will spell it wrong!) Mblahniklover. She posted a thread after having picked up the "boat anchor" Apple. She might be able to help you with the specifics of how to get FF working and taskbar stuff. Good luck. I never could get my mind around a one button mouse...

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

1. Can I upgrade the RAM myself and how hard and expensive is it to do?

www.memorystore.com...
That should do it.
There should be two little tabs at the top of the keyboard, you use those to take the keyboard off. Then under that you should see a card. Pull the springy thing up and pull the plastic tab to remove the card and then there should be two little screws under the card. Remove the screws and pull the plate up. There is your ram.

2. Can I upgrade the OS myself and how hard and expensive is it to do?

I believe the highest that one will go is OS X 10.5.8. But super easy and their OS is cheap.

3. I have a big bar at the bottom of my screen with a Firefox icon but no amount of clicking will get FF to start?

There was an issue a while back with firefox getting corrupted after an update. Just remove it and reinstall

4. I'm running Safari and can't find the spell checker. Any idea how to get it working?

Don't use safari, seriously it is the worst browser you could possibly use.

I don't think so but not 100% on that.

Did I get a good deal?

That is about what the used ones go for.
edit on 15-3-2012 by DavidWillts because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Oh-Ho-Ho, you've done it now, Semper. I promise you're gonna have fun once you get jiggy with it.

I don't have any tech advice cause I ain't built that way, but let your hair down...er, strike that jar-head, cause you ain't got any.

I'll rephrase: Just let your creative inner-child go wild with your new "finger paint."

Ooh-Rah!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
i believe the max for rams is 1gb and os i dont think u will be able to get the newest one on it which is lion i know its runs the osx maybe u can get leopard dont use safari and for firefox just uninstall it and install it i cant remember the other things u said which is stupid when just i click on reply post i should be able to see your post as well btw new to the site

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Not real good on the hardware side of things but I can help with these:

It may depend on the version prob but if you place your cursor in an entry field, then go to the "Edit" menu, then "Show Spelling and Grammar" and choose your option.

The Dock? Yes you can make it smaller. Locate your system preferences (Apple Logo at top - System Preferences - Dock) - then customise away!

Agreed that you may not be able to upgrade to the newest version of Mac OS for a G4. Also agreed that you may only get up to "Leopard" (your system is "Panther" btw)

Re: Firefox. When you download the application is it a DMG file? You need to double click this then install.
See these instructions
OR
You may have to re-install the correct version of Firefox for your OS. Here are some links to older versions:
Index of /pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases

This forum has been a lifesaver for me many times and I use it all the time. Some knowledgeable people on here:
Macrumors

The G4 is pretty old sorry to say, but good to cut your Mac-teeth on.
Have fun!

new topics
top topics

join