It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive: U.S., Britain to agree emergency oil stocks release

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Source

LONDON, Mar. 15, 2012 (Reuters) — Britain has decided to cooperate with the United States in a bilateral agreement to release strategic oil stocks, two British sources said, in an effort to prevent high fuel prices derailing economic growth in an election year.

So, guess the high gas prices (that is not an actual issue with any president) won't be much of an issue come election time

Rising world oil prices, up to $125 a barrel for Brent crude, have pushed gasoline prices up sharply this year and threaten to choke economic recovery ahead of Obama's bid for re-election in November.

We really need to make an effort to slow our oil consumption. hopefully the next 4 years will give a concentrated effort to get other forms of energy production going here at home. Where are the desert solar farms anyhow?!!

Anyhow, so ya..point for Obama, lower prices at the pump. This is bound to frustrate the GOP no doubt considering that is more or less their entire campaign push for the mainstream folks.

ADD: Update:
As pointed out a few posts down, the white house seems to be denying a deal has been struck..so, the jury is still out...not sure if this means no deal, or just not ready to call it offical
Source

I still want my damn solar farms up!
edit on 15-3-2012 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I wonder if this will actually reduce fuel prices, or just freeze it at its current price for several months.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
its election time in the USA so dropping prices of fuel = vote winner

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Oh, there are some days I wish I hadn't stopped by the computer to check online things. This is enough to be sick over.... So Obama is really going to do it, eh? He's really going to waste some of the only reserves our nation has for time of war......as he's pushing our nation toward a late summer/early fall MAJOR war with Iran and it's allies. Oh brilliant.

Why should I ever have expected Obama to appreciate the reasons and needs for the Strategic Reserve existing in the first place. It was NEVER NEVER NEVER to waste away on something so petty as pump price. What the heck happens in a few months if we get FAR on the wrong side of the Arabs...and Obama is capable of it, to be sure....and they cut us off ENTIRELY?!

The reserve was created for THAT scenario after the 1970's embargo and the TRUE shortages. We'll look real stupid standing there next to Naval Warships tied to the pier and sitting on Empty because this moron gave what they had set aside for THEM...to FIGHT A WAR....on the hope he could score a few more votes..for the *VERY SHORT* time this mistake actually has an impact on prices at all. That impact won't even last long.

I could just scream! Bush was bashed when HE did it..and it was WRONG. It's STILL wrong with Obama, but the stakes are SO much higher now, and the consequences are so much more severe for bad judgement in this time period.
edit on 15-3-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
content.usatoday.com...

That article refutes the op. I was getting excited and then I saw this on USAToday.com.

-TS

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
White House aides have said it 'isn't accurate'.

Now to my reading this doesn't mean it's not going to happen, just that some detail is incorrect?

Oh and frack the pair of them, frack them both. Use your own reserves you've got way more over there!

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
If you are woried about fuel prices then convert your vehicle to Natural Gas. Cheap and clean... Natural Gas stations starting to pop up here in AR. Oil should be thought of as coal energy: It served its purpose but its time to move on.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker1984
content.usatoday.com...

That article refutes the op. I was getting excited and then I saw this on USAToday.com.

-TS

Wow.. I just saw what you mean. Reuters directly contradicts USA Today as they report mutually exclusive stories.

If it matters... Dateline on Reuters was Mar 15, 2:40pm Eastern Time. USA today is "1 hour, 27 minutes ago" as of the date stamp to this message. Eastern US time as of right now is roughly 3:00pm straight up.

It would seem...Reuters came out most recently..not that it necessarily means anything for which one is right or wrong. It's not often we see MAJOR outlets report polar opposite stories. Interesting.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Oh, there are some days I wish I hadn't stopped by the computer to check online things. This is enough to be sick over.... So Obama is really going to do it, eh? He's really going to waste some of the only reserves our nation has for time of war......as he's pushing our nation toward a late summer/early fall MAJOR war with Iran and it's allies. Oh brilliant.

Why should I ever have expected Obama to appreciate the reasons and needs for the Strategic Reserve existing in the first place. It was NEVER NEVER NEVER to waste away on something so petty as pump price. What the heck happens in a few months if we get FAR on the wrong side of the Arabs...and Obama is capable of it, to be sure....and they cut us off ENTIRELY?!

The reserve was created for THAT scenario after the 1970's embargo and the TRUE shortages. We'll look real stupid standing there next to Naval Warships tied to the pier and sitting on Empty because this moron gave what they had set aside for THEM...to FIGHT A WAR....on the hope he could score a few more votes..for the *VERY SHORT* time this mistake actually has an impact on prices at all. That impact won't even last long.

I could just scream! Bush was bashed when HE did it..and it was WRONG. It's STILL wrong with Obama, but the stakes are SO much higher now, and the consequences are so much more severe for bad judgement in this time period.
edit on 15-3-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

Perhaps he is doing so on purpose? Knowing full well the possible consequences? Maybe even wanting those consequences?

Obama seems to intelligent for such a stupid manuever. IMO.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker1984
content.usatoday.com...

-TS

Cheers, amended the ops to include that link

what the hell is going on up there?

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Perhaps he is doing so on purpose? Knowing full well the possible consequences? Maybe even wanting those consequences?

Despite the jokes, comments and speculation to that effect.....and despite how hard it is to continue trying to see things another way...I can't help but start seeing logic in what you're saying. I'm doing my best to fight that truth, because knowing and accepting it as hard fact and not wild theory demands Americans do something about it. It's not the path I'm prepared to go down. Not yet.... I can't, in good conscience, argue your take on things though.

I just hope you're wrong..while acknowledging you may well have the answer, right there.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Problem, Reaction, Solution = Farse

Oil prices rise and fall based on speculation and Obama is looking for re-election. We've heard this before, dip into the oil reserves, but it looks like they're actually gonna do it, as they sanction Iran and possible India. Their grip on the world is either tightening or loosening, we shall see.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

new topics

top topics

join