It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it really brainwashing?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Ok, so it's no secret that much of today's entertainment industry pushes what many consider to be immoral behavior. Let's just go with music, since that's my thing. Today's music talks about sex, sex and more sex. Oh, and partying and doing drugs. There is satanic imagery everywhere. Plus, it's marketed towards teens and pre-teens.

Ok. So what? This isn't new. This has been going on for decades.

We had Vince Neil and Axl Rose singing about doing drugs, partying and sleeping with different women every night when I was a kid. It didn't affect our moral behavior. We still did our homework, respected our elders, sought meaningful romantic relationships, etc. At least, that's the way it was with my group of "headbanger" friends.

After all, you can enjoy something without having it dictate who you are.

Fast forward to 2012. Let's take the sex issue: why are 15 year-olds getting pregnant? Is it REALLY because Rihanna and Katy Perry dress like sluts, and teen girls are emulating their idols? Is it really because so-and-so rapper talks about women like they're sex objects? And if so, what makes today's kids so much more impressionable and weak-willed?

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Loss of identity/direction...too much # being thrown at them...more pressure to succeed...less tolerance, over-managed lifes...more pathways and rules which clinch intellectual movement ( political correctness gone berserk ) ...pc also instills guilt...all that supresses completely natural drives by teenagers, which then results in them going overboard with sex and most everything else. drugs etc. I think...it's gotten harder and colder, all masked with a big smiley face. Technology also has a dehumanizing, isolating effect. So maybe that's why girls get pregnant. So they'll have somebody to love and take care for or something. Something " real " in their lives.
edit on 15-3-2012 by dude69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Consider how much immoral and subliminal imagery was thrown at you and then consider how much is shown to this society at this time. I've watched a few documentaries and read a lot about advertising and marketing to the different sexes and how it can condition them to think or feel a specific way about a subject or themselves. That and then adding the mass amounts of superficiality pushed onto children to adults and the amount of people actually being programmed by these things helps me understand that many people do not want to be outcasts and it has become a "normal" type of behavior which if rebelled against can be socially harmful and misunderstood by peers.

One odd thing i was thinking of yesterday was how over sexualized many things are today and yet how taboo our western society views sexuality. It's hypocritical and i believe confuses the hell out of people.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Let's just go with music

Let's go with that. Does music brainwash people? Does music cause people to change their appearances and ways of thinking? You tell me...

How could anyone actually think this was cool? It's cool now because it's such an epic Fail on our parts, but back then they took themselves seriously. Everyone was mimicking the MTV and the Hollywood actors/actresses. We are a society of mimickers, no self identity for the majority, very easily steerable toward whatever direction TPTB so choose.

edit on 15-3-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by thepixelgarden

15 year olds have been getting pregnant since the dawn of time. Old enough to bleed.....old enough to breed.

A thousand years ago it was acceptable, if not expected, now it's not.

Every generation thinks the next one coming up is less moral than the previous one. This has been happening forever. In my opinion it's not about morals it's about education. It's no secret that the schools these days aren't what they used to be as far as actual educating goes. Parents these days, for the most part, don't have the time or inclanation to homeschool their kids, or at the very least push their kids to get supplemental education at home or the public library.

This is why it seems like this coming generation doesn't have as many morals. They're being raised by the media that only cares about getting their money. It's no secret that the demographic you pointed out, teenagers, have more disposable income than older people. People who have actual bills to pay. This is why they're targeted, marketed to, with all the images that have been proven to help sell products.

It's not brainwashing.....it's business.

The kids who don't fall into this trap have strong, or at least adamant, parental figures in their lives. these are the ones who grow up to be successful, have a solid head on their shoulders and don't start popping out puppies when they hit their teenage years.

Take my daughter for example. I'm instilling values in her that she'll carry with her so, hopefully, she won't be getting serious about having a man in her life until she's........say.........30. She'll have all the education she needs at that point, will be successful at the career of her choosing, and will be well equipped mentally, emotionally, and financially to start a family.

If our country had more people like that in it, it would be much more prosperous IMO.

I have to go to town to get some things done, so I'll leave you all with this, just to lighten the mood.

edit on 15-3-2012 by Taupin Desciple because: She knows

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Q:

Let's take the sex issue: why are 15 year-olds getting pregnant? Is it REALLY because Rihanna and Katy Perry dress like sluts, and teen girls are emulating their idols? Is it really because so-and-so rapper talks about women like they're sex objects? And if so, what makes today's kids so much more impressionable and weak-willed?

15 yr old girls are getting pregnant because of stupid shows like 16 and Pregnant or maybe their friends got kids so they want one too...
If they are emulating their idols like that then maybe their parents should do more parenting its not about the music its about the parents and how much attention they give their kids....

A: PARENTS

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by dude69

reply to post by jvm222

Thanks for your answers. I know that it's crazy the amounts of advertising we have nowadays, and the psychological tricks they try to pull on us nowadays. I just still have a hard time agreeing with the notion that this kind of programming overriding one's sense of self-identity.

We had the same issues of peers being labelled as popular or outcasts when I was in high school. It just didn't seem to matter as much to us. I never met a "stoner" who was ashamed to be an outcast and wished that he was instead a "jock". In fact, it was a lot like "That 70's Show". In my particular circle of friends, there were people who would be considered preppies, stoners, jocks, even a couple of dropouts. Nobody cared, we were just ourselves and we didn't judge each other for not "fitting in".

Of course, as I'm typing this, it occurs to me that us outcasts might have felt much less pressure to maintain our "normal" status than the "popular" kids. So that might have something to do with our point of view.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
reply to post by thepixelgarden

In my opinion it's not about morals it's about education.

This is good, this is a point of view that I never hear discussed. You make some very good points about it just being business, rather than an evil plot to destroy our families from the inside like I so often hear.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnoNymousDoN
15 yr old girls are getting pregnant because of stupid shows like 16 and Pregnant...

This brings up another question for me. Going off of what a poster above suggested concerning it being a business model... are we sure that kids are getting pregnant because they are seeing it on that show? Or is that show simply capitalizing on a pre-existing market, because so many 16 year-old girls are getting pregnant? Or is it a vicious cycle of "life imitating art, imitating life"? (and believe me, I CRINGE when I call that show "art", but that old saying does make my point).

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Its called repetition. When you hear the same song over and over and over it gets stuck in your head thus becoming a part of you. Now days you cant stay away from repetition, you have no choice. There is all ways one hot song and that song is usely about sex. (poke HER face) These songs are played in repetition on the radio in movies and tv shows. Not only that your friends and other people are playing the song. Now days music gets old fast. People will jam a song for a month then a month latter say its crap. Because it all ways was crap, the only reason they thought it was good is because its played in repetition.

Just because it did not effect you does not mean it did not effect any one. Your on this site, it shows that your eyes are partially open. That you care enough to ask questions. While most people will just do what they are told with questions. Do what the music tells them with out questions. Why? Because they idealize the tv screen, if they did not then they would not be wearing the same clothes and talking the same slang. Look at our past, lets start with 1900's. Sex was something sacred in a way. Only marriage couples wear allowed to have sex IN SOCIETY'S eyes. After the war, 1935 all of the catchy jingles started to come out (kind of like the main stream jingles we have today) talked about love and sex but in a hidden casual way. From their more and more media started coming out about sex. Over time it went from saying it in a casual way to just coming straight out.

Now look at all the media we have today. Look at kids tv shows, when I was younger they just started to make these kids of shows. Like Icarly and Unfabulous.... I can tell you from experience these shows made my standards. They got me horny. You have a bunch of subliminal messages that portray sex or just flat out spell sex.

Hear look it up their are 1000's of different pieces of media that use subliminal messages to draw people in with imagery of sex body parts are just flat out spelling out sex.
www.google.com...:en-US
fficial&client=firefox-a

edit on 15-3-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
Its called repetition...Now days music gets old fast...

Exactly why I've been avoiding the radio all these years. Hell, I've hated radio since they started overplaying Nirvana (but that's a whole different issue).

In your experience, do most people get annoyed at the radio's repetitive nature? Or do they seem immune to it? And if they do get annoyed, why in the world do they tolerate it?

Like Icarly and Unfabulous.... I can tell you from experience these shows made my standards. They got me horny. You have a bunch of subliminal messages that portray sex or just flat out spell sex.

I have a couple of questions about this as well.

1) They've been doing that since before I was a child, and I've known about it for some time... but I always felt that it was a wasted effort because I don't remember kid programs/cartoons arousing me at all. Was I just an exception to the rule? Could that be why I don't "get" this whole "entertainment industry brainwashing our youth" thing?

2) Sorry if this is asking for TMI... but, could you possibly give an example of what part of iCarly got you horny? My son and I watch this show all the time, and I don't really see anything that would be considered sexy (unless it's changed recently; we haven't watched it in the past few months).

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Oops, sorry that I missed this!

I get that pop culture FADS are infectious... hey, I had my long hair, acid-washed jean jacket and air guitar... but it didn't change who we were. We didn't treat other people differently. Fads are exterior, while I'm talking about the moral interior.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

Like Icarly and Unfabulous.... I can tell you from experience these shows made my standards. They got me horny.
What are you some sort of freak? They are kids on Nickelodeon wtf.

and the show 16 and pregnant is to show how hard life would be at that age with a kid. music has nothing to do with kids getting pregnant...sounds like people jus need something to blame it on

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by thepixelgarden

Its called repetition...Now days music gets old fast...

Exactly why I've been avoiding the radio all these years. Hell, I've hated radio since they started overplaying Nirvana (but that's a whole different issue).

In your experience, do most people get annoyed at the radio's repetitive nature? Or do they seem immune to it? And if they do get annoyed, why in the world do they tolerate it?

Like Icarly and Unfabulous.... I can tell you from experience these shows made my standards. They got me horny. You have a bunch of subliminal messages that portray sex or just flat out spell sex.

I have a couple of questions about this as well.

1) They've been doing that since before I was a child, and I've known about it for some time... but I always felt that it was a wasted effort because I don't remember kid programs/cartoons arousing me at all. Was I just an exception to the rule? Could that be why I don't "get" this whole "entertainment industry brainwashing our youth" thing?

2) Sorry if this is asking for TMI... but, could you possibly give an example of what part of iCarly got you horny? My son and I watch this show all the time, and I don't really see anything that would be considered sexy (unless it's changed recently; we haven't watched it in the past few months).

Before you ask these questions you need to do some research. The proof is their, in black and white you need to look it up for your self. The TV is the most powerful weapons on earth. BILLIONS watch it and are influenced by it. Especially when you watch more then 4hrs a day.
Do you know of plato's allegory of the cave?
www.youtube.com...
If you lived in a cave your whole life then how would you know if their was any thing other then the cave?
The tv teaches you how to react in certain situations. TV shows are repeats of each other, take for example the big bang theory and 3rd rock from the sun. They are both the same tv show they just have a different theme. Even the characters are the same. Once you see this you can start to accurately predict whats going to happen in a TV show before it happens, weather its 5min ahead or 3 episodes away.
Its repetition to get it in your head this is how you are supposed to be. Your supposed to drink coca cola or pepsi, any one that talks about conspiracy's is crazy, blonds are all ways hot, if you like to read or do home work your nerd(if you like to learn),pink is for girls and red is for boys, if you have long hair and are a guy your a hippie ect...
Stereo types is only one aspect of how they brain wash you.
Check this clip out its from a movie called "they live" its a must see. It explains more then I can put into words.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnoNymousDoN

Like Icarly and Unfabulous.... I can tell you from experience these shows made my standards. They got me horny.
What are you some sort of freak? They are kids on Nickelodeon wtf.

and the show 16 and pregnant is to show how hard life would be at that age with a kid. music has nothing to do with kids getting pregnant...sounds like people jus need something to blame it on

Are you paying attention? did you read what I said? I was the same age.... Something about girls in skimpy clothes flirting with boys. Every time I watched those shows i would get aroused. I remember one episode on Icarly where carly, her friend and 2 other girls wear wrestling in oil.

Small stuff like bending over infront of the camera, are falling down in a dramatic way opening their legs for the camera or falling on all 4's. Stuff like that, witch is placed in the show not by accident. They are selling sex to kids because sex sells. Just look at back street boys and Britney spears. Enough said.

Have you seen the clip of mr rogers neighborhood? I cant find it but if you start to research I know you will find it. Its a clip of him and a horn player, they are talking about playing the horn but really are talking about gay sex. Just using the horn as a cover up. They even placed the horn in his lap like boner, mr rogers rubs on it. I know it sounds out laddish but every one that sees the clip knows whats going on. I will look for it and post it if i find it.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I found the clip starts at 7:33
www.youtube.com...

When I have kids im not going to let them watch TV or listen to mainstream music until they are 15 or understand the effects that this crap has on them. You may think it does not effect you but how would you know if you never experienced any thing but that.

Even if you do not watch it you are still influenced by it because all of society watches.

Like you posted in one of your post, beta and alpha waves, but you in a trance. Just as the same way when meditating saying OHM over and over again with in timing puts in a trance. You have seen a old CRT computer monitor on TV? You can see the refresh lines, those put you in a trance. Right now you are in a trance, me to, because of the refresh rate.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

hm u must be a young kid... do u kno icarly came out in 2007 and im pretty sure miranda cosgrove was only like 12 or 13 when the show started so it may be jus me but i still find it strange

Edit: what a vid never had a dirty mind about kid shows i guess
edit on 15-3-2012 by AnoNymousDoN because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

You're right, and I'm not questioning whether it's THERE or not. I've done plenty of research. I know the endless tricks the companies use to try to influence people. Playing on the basic fear of death or sexual urges, encouraging gender roles through princess/warrior programming, etc.

I get HOW it works, I just don't get WHY people fall for it. For example, why do people care if the pop culture says you're supposed to drink coke or pepsi? I prefer non-carbonated drinks myself, and no amount of subliminal appealing to my base instincts is going to make me pick up a 2-liter of coke or pepsi. To me, it's just that simple. So... trying to think how to phrase this... why would other people let themselves be affected? Is it because they don't know what they want?

Or, to get back to the sex behavior issue: it doesn't matter how many episodes of "How I Met Your Mother" I watch (and I've watch a lot), or how hilarious I think the character Barney Stinson is... it's not going to make me treat women differently.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Awesome most people dont see the princess programing or the using anger and fear to draw them in. Every one is different. I used to be one of those people until one day my 11th grade philosophy teach told us a old philosophical story about a water well. A large colony of people survived off a well, the authorities of the colony put poison in the well. One man notices and start to get his water from a stream instead of a well. He is different the all the other people because he is not drugged so the majority starts to think that he crazy. He eventually gives in because he wants to be like all the others. My teacher said you can be crazy but truth full or you can be truly crazy but fit in.
I told my self I would rather see the truth because in this cold world all you really have is your self.

People are told what to want and how to act since the day they wear born. Your surrounded with pink if your a girl or blue if your boy, you are given barbies if your a girl or cars if your boy. When your a child you get loads of advertizing directed to you. Think about a young boy watching a commercial directed towards boys (warrior programing) this is the first time this boy has ever watched tv. So he does not know that boys are "supposed" to like cars, boys are "supposed" to like fighting, boys are supposed to like red. He sees a couple of boys playing (he can relate "hey thats like me") then the comercial starts to blazz fire and loud rock and roll music with boys playing cops and robbers with hotwheels. He all ready has it in his head that "hey those boys are like me" so any thing associated with them he will grasp.

When your young your nieve and do not under stand how the world works. So its hard to even ask questions of how it effects you, you just absorb like a sponge. Eventually it just becomes normal because its all you know, so you stay in the flow of being told what to like and how to act with out question. Some people realize when they get older and start to ask questions but most... most are to scared because a truth like does drastically change your point of view on the world. It can get depressing. People can subconsciously see it but when its out in the open they denny it to protect the last 10, 20, 30 years of their life (how ever old they are). I think they just get caught up in a stream heading into a water fall and dont even notice. You got out of the stream before it was to powerful. My mom is partially awake but she dennies allot of this stuff when it right in her face. I think its because she is older and has been in the programing longer.

Why do we get caught up in the pepsi or coke thing? The best way I can describe it is a theme or a veil. mountain dew advertizes to the extreme sports fans. Most of these fans want to be or are doing extreme sports. They see a person skating and drinking mountain dew the next time they are in the store and see mountain dew they are going to think of that theme and associate with their dreams of wanting be skater. Or "hey thats product has skate board in it, i like skating so i like this drink.". We have been trained not to think with logic. I remember when I was a kid learning that the pyramids wear built by people dragging 100 ton blocks and the teachers believed it, we dont use logic any more.

When I was younger I used to idealize "head bangers" I would do any thing to become one even if I did not like it. Because of the theme of being a head banger.

"Or, to get back to the sex behavior issue: it doesn't matter how many episodes of "How I Met Your Mother" I watch (and I've watch a lot), or how hilarious I think the character Barney Stinson is... it's not going to make me treat women differently. "
It wont effect you if you notice it but their are allot of other things that you do not notice because they seem normal because we have see them all our life (allegory of the cave). It tells you whats right and whats wrong your morals. Next time you watch tv constraint on your brain on your eyes, try not to get sucked into a trance, its near impossible when you have a 60hz refresh rate waves. When your in a trance their is allot you can miss.

Its really scary to think about but America is a living TV show. Every ones individual lifes, people trying to play characters or rolls. Its even scarier knowing that you are one of those people. I will admit it I am a product of the TV, a product of goverment brain washing because I have watched the tv my whole life. But even if I did not watch it ever I would still be effected by it because every one else watches it. The first step is admitting, the second is depression and the third is fixing your depression by learning how to not think like a TV character. I am still in the second step but gradually moving towards my self and away from a fake, theme vision or idea about all topics on the planet.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Wow, this is a really thoughtful post, thank you for taking the time to write it out.

I used to be one of those people until one day my 11th grade philosophy teach told us a old philosophical story about a water well.

That well analogy is very interesting, especially since I've seen some people who were open to conspiracy theories talk about "going back to sleep" because it was just too hard for them to handle and still live a normal life.

I agree with you about preferring to see truth. I'd always rather know than not know.

People are told what to want and how to act since the day they wear born...

Ok, I think I'm starting to see the problem here. I hard a hard time understanding the subliminal brainwashing because I've never been able to relate. (Sorry if I'm making this all about me, I'm just trying to use personal experience to better understand). When I was a child, I watched He-Man and Strawberry Shortcake. I guess I didn't care who the target audience was. I'm one of those people who has always felt that I am a spiritual being having a temporary physical experience. So gender roles have always seemed fairly pointless to me.

My ex-wife decided that she was transgender. I tried to be supportive, because she was my wife and I loved her. But I didn't understand it. She said that she wanted the world to accept her as a man, and I kept asking why she cared so much about what the world thought.

It's all relative anyway. Is it appropriate for a man to wear stockings? Well, the answer could be yes or no, depending on what country you're talking about, what time period, etc.

mountain dew advertizes to the extreme sports fans. Most of these fans want to be or are doing extreme sports. They see a person skating and drinking mountain dew the next time they are in the store and see mountain dew they are going to think of that theme and associate with their dreams of wanting be skater. Or "hey thats product has skate board in it, i like skating so i like this drink.".

So that really does work on people?? In my head I'm always laughing because I see these commercials and I think "come on now, who would actually buy Nike shoes because Michael Jordan is paid to be in their commercial?"

To be fair, most of my idols have been non-mainstream. So it's not like I'd ever see them in ADs that would put my resolve to the test. But still, if I was in back high school and I saw a commercial with Robert Smith from The Cure drinking Dr. Pepper, would it make me want to drink it? I don't think so. Not at all. Cos even back when he was my idol, it was from a creative point of view (I write music). I admired his songs, and would read interviews to find out how he got inspired to write the lyrics, what his creative process was, etc. I couldn't have cared less who he was dating or what brand of shoes he wore. And it's not like I wanted to BE him. I've always wanted to be myself.

It wont effect you if you notice it but their are allot of other things that you do not notice because they seem normal because we have see them all our life (allegory of the cave).

That's interesting. If I'm understanding you correctly, it as if becoming aware of the subliminal message sort of 'breaks the spell', so-to-speak.

It tells you whats right and whats wrong your morals. Next time you watch tv constraint on your brain on your eyes, try not to get sucked into a trance..

Yeah, I know I get sucked in because everyone once in awhile I'll have moments where something outside the screen pulls me out. But I let myself get sucked in, and I'm alright with it because I know it's not real. I also know how I feel and who I am. For example, I love technology. iPads, cel-phones, etc. it's just something I enjoy. But I don't want the technology INSIDE me. The very idea creeps me out. They can humanize robots all they want, they can show me transhumanism-themed movies until they go bankrupt, I'm not going to accept the idea.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join