It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which do you think is the most democratic country in the World right now..if any

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
In light of events in recent years something might have changed in terms of ranking.

I wonder right now in 2012 March which could be the most democratic country,and if there is one then why that and not another.

But for this probably we need to be define several attributes of democracy.The most important.

Question is which are the most important.Hard to classify them,as maybe some of them have changed a little.

Democracy is an egalitarian form of government in which all the citizens of a nation together determine public policy, the laws and the actions of their state, requiring that all citizens (meeting certain qualifications) have an equal opportunity to express their opinion. In practise, "democracy" is the extent to which a given system approximates this ideal, and a given political system is referred to as "a democracy" if it allows a certain approximation to ideal democracy. Although no country has ever granted all its citizens (i.e. including minors) the vote, most countries today hold regular elections based on egalitarian principles, at least in theory.
source(en.wikipedia.org...

I believe it will be very very hard to find an answer to this question:

Which do you think is the most democratic country in the World right now?

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

Although a lot of people might disagree with me, one of the most democratic countries in my opinion today would be India. I feel like I have not heard of any news recently about India's government. It seems like they are doing okay but this is what I take from the news every day. I am open to other's opinions.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Unvarnished

Although a lot of people might disagree with me, one of the most democratic countries in my opinion today would be India.
So,let's say that one of the options would be India.

Could be under a very numerous population and a very civilized strategic behavior.

But let's see and other options.

edit on 15-3-2012 by diamondsmith because: mdfy

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Many countries in Latin America are real democracies... Not all of them, but many...

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Which do you think is the most democratic country in the World right now

For pure, raw freedom? The US still claims that title. How many places can you own a gun, land, as many cars as you can afford, take pictures in public, pass through town with only a few CCTV cameras up your butt and still come home without being chipped and dipped by the state?

This isn't to say that things aren't changing here. If Obama gets another term, people on medicare and SS will probably have RFID chips and be tested monthly for what they eat and who they sleep with.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by GLontra
Many countries in Latin America are real democracies... Not all of them, but many...

If there are many maybe you can name one that could be considered in the top,if it's possible of course.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

For pure, raw freedom? The US still claims that title.
I understand that so that's why is good to have a race for democracy in the world.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I would say that South Africa is a very free country,for personal,individual liberties.But as everywhere,there's a massive lot of corruption in government,and theft/misappropration of taxpayers money.I still cannot imagine feeling as safe and free anywhere else in the world,though.Considering what i read about America and the rest of the world,this country seems like a haven from oppression and a police-state future.I only pray it stays this way,for my children's sake.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

I would say that South Africa is a very free country,for personal,individual liberties
South Africa is indeed a respectable country in terms of strengthened democratic values ​​especially in recent years,and as everywhere in the world there are things that can be directed.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

...If Obama gets another term, people on medicare and SS will probably have RFID chips and be tested monthly for what they eat and who they sleep with.

No, incorrect. The "who they sleep with" obsession is a Republican thing. The republicans are the ones who want to be involved in everyone's bedroom preferences and activity.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I'll enter the bid of Switzerland because their system of "direct democracy" insures that power remains in the hands of the citizenry. (Oh yeah, and they can own guns and lots of cars too, if that is somehow a measure of democracy in your judgement.)

The instruments of Swiss direct democracy at the federal level, known as civic rights (Volksrechte, droits civiques), include the right to submit a constitutional initiative and a referendum, both of which may overturn parliamentary decisions.[49][53]
By calling a federal referendum a group of citizens may challenge a law that has been passed by Parliament, if they can gather 50,000 signatures against the law within 100 days. If so, a national vote is scheduled where voters decide by a simple majority whether to accept or reject the law. Eight cantons together can also call a referendum on a federal law.[49]
Similarly, the federal constitutional initiative allows citizens to put a constitutional amendment to a national vote, if they can get 100,000 voters to sign the proposed amendment within 18 months.[note 7] Parliament can supplement the proposed amendment with a counter-proposal, with voters having to indicate a preference on the ballot in case both proposals are accepted. Constitutional amendments, whether introduced by initiative or in Parliament, must be accepted by a double majority of both the national popular vote and a majority of the cantonal popular votes.

SOURCE

And this one may surprise some, but Estonia.

Estonia has pursued the development of the e-state and e-government. Internet voting is used in elections in Estonia.[74] The first Internet voting took place in the 2005 local elections and the first in a parliamentary election was made available for the 2007 elections, in which 30,275 individuals voted over the Internet. Voters have a chance to invalidate their electronic vote in traditional elections, if they wish to. In 2009 in its 8th Worldwide Press Freedom Index, Reporters Without Borders ranked Estonia 6th out of 175 countries.[75] In the first ever State of World Liberty Index report, Estonia was ranked 1st out of 159 countries.

SOURCE

Because it is a modern country, it was able to build its infrastructure from scratch with modern technology as a foundation, so it is one of the few countries with direct internet voting, which, to me, is one of the necessities of a true modern democracy.

Well, that's my 2¢ worth.

the Billmeister

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Billmeister

I'll enter the bid of Switzerland because their system of "direct democracy" insures that power remains in the hands of the citizenry.
I have to agree with you in Switzerland this system it works like a Swiss watch, direct political decisions are not altered by any administrative interfering and vice versa.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Billmeister

Because it is a modern country, it was able to build its infrastructure from scratch with modern technology as a foundation, so it is one of the few countries with direct internet voting, which, to me, is one of the necessities of a true modern democracy.
Estonia is a young democracy like all the countries in the region and there for very fragile in terms of political system,but you are right considering the competition could be by choice.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I would say Iceland, specially since their default crisis...
Or probably some of the Scandinavian country...
Switzerland is also a good "shot" IMO

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by quelmarth

I would say Iceland, specially since their default crisis... Or probably some of the Scandinavian country
They are older and well-established democracies that are still evolving and they can be an example for younger democracies.

new topics

top topics

join