It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incredible Nasa video shows 4.5 BILLION years of the moon's history in just three minutes - with en

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Always fascinated by a good space theory and realIy incredible theories about how our moon's looked over the centuries. Amazing what are orbiters are able to pick upon and the the ideas evolving out of this information. Whose to say they're wrong. One theory folr the most part except for the real far out there ones seems as valid as the next. Too bad we can't travel back and really see what happened. If you could do that would you? What is your theory out of all this?

Rob Waugh

Incredible-Nasa-video-shows-4-5-BILLION-years-moons-history-just-minutes--including-asteroids-shaped-pitted-surface-Earth.html]

www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 15-3-2012 by 1loserel2 because: correction

edit on 15-3-2012 by 1loserel2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-3-2012 by 1loserel2 because: correction

edit on 15-3-2012 by 1loserel2 because: add something

edit on 15-3-2012 by 1loserel2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-3-2012 by 1loserel2 because: change title

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Nice video,

They still fail to answer the main Question : Why does earth have such a big Moon??

The moon is completely disproportional to what a natural satellite around our sized planet should be, Once that give a rational answer to that question, ill consider listening to their story

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by WiseThinker

I didn't realize there was a chart of "natural" satellite sizes.... Much less that our moon is not of correct size.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
That's an interesting video but of course they left out the animation of how the moon actually formed from the premise that a planet sized body slammed into earth and created the moon. I've always believed that was the most logical explanation but I still haven't seen any form of animation to show how this happened. I still think for the most part that this is the way it happened but I'd like to see it played out in actual motion in a computer simulated video. If anyone has a example of that I'd love to see it. Good thread !

edit on 15-3-2012 by mark1167 because: typo

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Well naturally, then our planet could not have caught the moon in our orbit (Like Mars caught Phobos in its orbit), as our planet is to small compared to the moon.

So the most "Common " Theory right now, is that it was formed, when a massive object slammed into us, and threw a chunk of our planet into space. However this theory does not hold sound either, as the planet would not have survived such a collision.

Hence, where does the moon come from ??? The million dollar question.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by WiseThinker
Nice video,

They still fail to answer the main Question : Why does earth have such a big Moon??

The moon is completely disproportional to what a natural satellite around our sized planet should be, Once that give a rational answer to that question, ill consider listening to their story

Just this instant I came up with an answer to that puzzling question. The Moon was created when the early alien terraformers scooped out the basins for the Earth's oceans (for the most part) and deposited the material out there. Then they brought the water in, of course.

Now stop and think! How could the plates of the new Earth seperate far enough on a body having a stable dimension? It either expanded like a balloon--which it didn't--or the Moon was built from the material.

edit on 15-3-2012 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Flag and a star for you. I think this is really nice video that everyone should watch.
The moon is a very important part of our life that most people don't take enough time to think about during their daily routine.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by WiseThinker

I find the moon, it's origin and purpose absolutely fascinating. In all of the research I've done on the satelite and it's history, it never ceases to amaze me. How come we are the only planet with an oversized moon that just happens to perfectly cover our Sun? Did you know that the "dust" on the moons surface is actually older than the moons core? Also the moon's core is only 2-4% of its mass where-as Earths is about 30%! The moon is now being described as "older than the Earth". That would debunk the whole Earth collision theory.

I've read alot about secret bases established on the moon... as well as the inside of the moon being hollowed out and occupied! That may explain why the dust on the outside of the moon is so much older than the inside - it was dug out. Have any of you researched such theories? Is it possible that our moon was constructed and placed in the Earths orbit to control the tides and help raise life on our planet? These are all questions that I am constantly asking. Perhaps I will learn the truth within my lifetime...

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by WiseThinker
Nice video,

Here's a lovely (and very dramatic!) video which illustrates the current best theory about how the moon was created:

Basically, a Mars-sized planet we call Thea smacked into the Earth during the early formation of the Solar System. This catastrophic event caused a huge ring of debris to form around the now combined world that once consisted of the early Earth and Thea (most of what was the two planets are now a part of our Earth). This ring of debris would have coalesced within about a year into what is now the Moon.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Interesting... have you ever studied the Hollow Earth Theory? In this theory: Our planet was created from a ball of magma that "dripped" from the Sun and was rapidly spun by the Sun's gravitational force. As it spun, the magma was forced into a round shape and pushed outward towards the edges of the sphere until the center became all-but-hollow. Leaving a small ball suspended in the center by gravity. In the spinning process vents formed at the planets poles from exiting gases. The outer crust of the planet eventually cooled and hardened, as well as the inner crust. Leaving a "Hollow Earth" in the center that is lit by the small magma ball still suspended in the center. Stories tell of vegetation and the existence of prehistoric creatures dwelling in this space. One great telling of such a place can be found researching Admiral Byrd and his missions to Antarctica.

I've tried to find definitive evidence of such a place for a while now. It's obviously not showing us the true imagery of the poles on Google Earth... I also here it is forbidden to fly directly over the poles as it causes "equipment malfunction".

So in a sense (if this theory is true), the Earth was blown up like a balloon kinda... but it's a little more like it was spun on a pottery wheel.

Which also brings me to my research of "The Growing Earth". Is it still stretching today? How much water was on the Earth during Pangea times compared to now and how much smaller was the Earth during those times?

Sorry for all the Q's. I should prob start a thread with this response...
edit on 15-3-2012 by IVofPOLmusic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Although the video is excellent,I have to wonder how much creative or theoretical license they have allowed themselves here.
I mean no offense but NASA has only been looking for a very short while in terms of our moons history.
How they can use such a thin sliver of observation to come up with such a detailed history is beyond my capacity.
But hey,that's why I don't work for NASA I suppose.

Its a good idea though.
I will not buy it as a fact just yet though.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Although the video is excellent,I have to wonder how much creative or theoretical license they have allowed themselves here.
I mean no offense but NASA has only been looking for a very short while in terms of our moons history.
How they can use such a thin sliver of observation to come up with such a detailed history is beyond my capacity.

Its a good idea though.

That, plus the creative license they took to add the impact sounds...as if they are suggesting the moon had an atmosphere at one point?

Though< i am not a believer of the earth/collision theory.

And, one has to wonder -- where did those masses of meteors come from? Is it safe to assume, that, since we are rotating and the galaxy is rotating that theoretically we could get swarmed again by that very cluster of asteroids?

Then begs the question, "Why does a galaxy such as ours spin?"

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

This is a picture of the inner solar system. These are the objects they have plotted.It's pretty clear that there are plenty of potential objects out there that could do that kind of damage.
I've also include a link at the bottom showing a short gif of the movement of these objects. It's pretty amazing after looking at these images that we aren't getting pummelled by large objects all the time. I guess most of them stay in their own orbits and only a few get bumped from time to time.www.minorplanetcenter.net...

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

Its a good idea though.

Having seen documentaries on this subject where the originators of the theory were discussing it, even they say it's only now the best theory to explain the Moon's creation, but also freely admit there are some niggling little things they can't yet account for. It's not been proven, but seems to explain most of the current observations they have of the two worlds. What they do know is that the Moon and Earth are made up of the same stuff. All of the isotopes match, so they came from the same hunk (or hunks) of stuff. To come up with this scenario they ran tons of computer models of impacts of different sizes and at different angles. They finally came up with a model that worked very well.

The video is cool but it is also maybe a bit overly dramatic. NASA has been producing these fancier videos for some years now no doubt to try and make the science more exciting and interesting to the masses. I remember back in the 80's and early 90's these kinds of videos tended to be very dull and clinical and, well, boring.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I always wondered, if the moon was made by something smashing into the earth, wouldn't this end up being a mini-earth? Or is it because it's too small to sustain an atmosphere?

Don't get me wrong, i'm quite on board with the moon made from an earth collision theory, but i'm just not all that bright when it comes to astrophysics

I highly recommend watching the BBC series 'Space' narrated by Sam Neil, it covers theories like this in amazing detail, including some beautiful CGI of the creation of planets in a time lapse.

Not to be confused with the series 'Spaced' with Simon Pegg, although that's also awesome and should be checked out

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jimbowsk
I always wondered, if the moon was made by something smashing into the earth, wouldn't this end up being a mini-earth? Or is it because it's too small to sustain an atmosphere?

Under the right conditions, a moon the size of our moon can hold on to an atmosphere. Titan is not too much bigger than our moon and has an atmosphere about as dense as that on Earth. But it's rare, and most bodies in our solar system of about its size do not have atmospheres or have atmospheres that are so thin as to be almost non-existant.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I believe in the theory that the earth was originally the forth planet and there was another planet that existed eons ago that was the fifth planet (it began with a T if I am not mistaken) and mars was our third planet from the sun. Due to the rotational pull earth and the fifth planet eventually collided with each other sending earth into its current position and causing mars to become the fourth planet. The collision caused the other planet to form the moon and the outer belt between mars and Jupiter. If i am not mistaken this was in a creation story. To me this sounds more logical than what NASA submitted.
edit on 19-3-2012 by Saigon1914 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saigon1914
I believe in the theory that the earth was originally the forth planet and there was another planet that existed eons ago that was the fifth planet (it began with a T if I am not mistaken) and mars was our third planet from the sun. Due to the rotational pull earth and the fifth planet eventually collided with each other sending earth into its current position and causing mars to become the fourth planet. The collision caused the other planet to form the moon and the outer belt between mars and Jupiter. If i am not mistaken this was in a creation story. To me this sounds more logical than what NASA submitted.
edit on 19-3-2012 by Saigon1914 because: (no reason given)

In the very early stages of the Solar System there were a great many planets and orbits could have shifted a lot in that time. Most of these collided together leaving the solar system we have now (probably quite a few got eaten up by Jupiter). The fact is, astronomers are currently having a lot of trouble creating a model for the solar system's development that accounts for the current layout of the planets: rocky planets near the star, gas giants farther out. There are theories, but the computer models are not really working out so far. So far the other solar systems we've found out there beyond our own don't look much like ours. They tend to have their gas giants orbiting in very close to their stars...then again, because of current planet hunting techniques which require us to measure the tug of planets on their parent star or now the occlusion of some of the star's light by these planets, we really have a hard time finding planets that aren't a) very large and b) fairly close to their stars. Gas giants farther out just won't register with our current techniques. If we were 50 light years from our own star it's unlikely we could see evidence of Jupiter and Saturn, but they are there.

One theory is that our star DID have a gas giant orbiting very close in for much of its early history, but this planet eventually got pulled into the Sun and ripped apart. This would account for some too high levels of certain elements in the Sun's make-up we've detected. Pretty sure I read another theory that Mercury could be the remnant core of a gas giant that got stripped of its atmosphere by the Sun (but don't quote me on that).

new topics

top topics

join