It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Severe Weather and Flooding Happening Right NOW, Logan, WV (VIDEO)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I recorded this video standing on my front porch about 30 minutes ago. The water is still rising and the rain is still pouring down, so its going to be a wild day here in south western West Virginia.

Edit: Another thing that is concerning is that the run off from the hills hasn't "hit" yet so even after the rain stops, the water will still be rising. There's about a foot and half of water in the basement now. I'll try to give you guys more updates later. Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Also, please excuses my groggy, just-got-woken-up-by-a-natural-disaster voice.

edit on 15-3-2012 by ProjectBlue because: (no reason given)

Edit 2: Fixed typo in the title, lol, sorry about that. XD

EDIT 3: UPDATE: The water here has just broken over the creek bank and is now flowing into the street even more. I would estimate the water is up to at least 4 feet high now. Here's a short video. I had to use my iPod to take this because my HD camera ran outa juice. Stay tuned.

And just as I go to post this the rain has started again. More to come.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Whoa...that is bad! Stay safe and be careful there. I couldn't imagine that happening where I live. Crazy weather. Is there any end in sight for the storms there?

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Oh that is really scary! I hope you make it OK!

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Looks like it's getting ugly. Please take care of yourself!

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
That is terrable. Please take care and try to keep us ll updated.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

It looks like the storms have finally stopped for now, so we are thankful for that. It looks like we may not get it as bad as we did 2 years ago. I'll try to find the video from that flood and post it. It's pretty crazy.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Be safe down there neighbor. I am in Central WV. It's cloudy and beginning to rain here as well but nothing like that.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Wow!
Look at all those idiots driving in it! Those are the same people you see being rescued from the top of their cars. Dumb Dumb Dumb!

On another note, I saw the system moving in this morning, not suppose to get to me, but it's looking nasty up your way! Stay safe, and don't go out driving in that mess!

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
That is awful to see. Please stay safe. How discouraging to have this again. Two years is not that long ago. Keep body and soul together. Do you have friends and family to help you with the clean up? I'm so sorry!

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Thank you all for your kind words. The flood waters have started to recede slightly, about 6 inches but we are about to get hit again with more storms, hopefully we wont get anymore heavy downpours. *crosses fingers*

We went out and took a bunch of picture of the surrounding area. There are lots of helicopters in the air, and we saw rescue boats coming in from Boone County. Soon I'll post a link to lots of pictures my professional photographer fiancee took while we surveyed the damage.

And don't worry too much about us. As far as we know the flood waters have never made it into the house. The basement/garage gets pretty muddy though. Thanks again for your concern. Check back again soon.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ProjectBlue

Looks rough. Take care up there.

I have a bit of a selfish question though - I'm up in Baltimore, and we often get a lot of weather from your direction (although the mountains around you often squeeze a lot of the moisture out of the systems before they get to us) When did the rain start? And about how long has it been going up until this point? Just trying to get a feel for what may be headed this way...

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Virgil Cain

It started about 8-8:30 am. It was a pretty strong thunderstorm, the worst we've had this year so far. It rained very hard and hailed off and on for about 2 hours. Lots of lightning too, a few struck very close to the house, so watch out for that. My fiancee came home from work at about 10:15 am and woke me up and I immediately grabbed my video camera and filmed the first video.

I hope this helps you, good luck.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Thanks a lot for the reply. Yep, it's certainly turned into full-blown spring in this part of the world. I just checked a local forecast that's pretty reliable, and, as is often the case with a patterns like this, looks like you all are going to take the brunt of it. Take care up there...

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Here's that video of the flood from 2010 that was way worse than this one. This was the first flood I ever experienced so I was pretty much in shock when I shot this video. Its pretty intense, I hope you enjoy.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Here is a link to those pictures taken by my fiancee earlier today. These photos are mostly of the Mt. Gay area and show way more than what I could get from my porch.

www.tonyakers.com...

Also, here is a picture of a sandbar left by the waters outside my house. I thought it looked pretty cool.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Good to see the pics. Looks like you dodged a bullet for now eh? I had a flood like that , basement flooded a bit, but no real damage. Kinda gives you pause when it is happening. So glad your ok and looks like your place is too.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I'm about an hour and a half from Logan, have relatives right there in Mount Gay, actually. It's a flood prone area. They evacuate at least once every other year or so.
My cousin Jackie used to go out and wade down the street up to his waist in flood waters. Not too bright, but as I recall there wasn't much to do for fun in Mount Gay back then.
Pretty normal for this ttime of year, actually. Winter, however, has been exceptionally mild.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by AliWV

That's so funny because there has been people on 4 wheelers driving through the massive puddle that's left in front of my house. Ah, gotta love the folks of southern WV.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Oh my goodness. It is you that is bringing the rain here. Shame on you. Be careful with the flood. Stay safe. Hope your basement doesn't accumulate too much damage. That's dangerous because of all the electrical wires, so be careful.
edit on 16-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Just a quick update. The National Guard has been deployed to Logan and Lincoln counties. Also, Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin declared a state of emergency in Logan and Mingo counties. Here's a link with more details.

wvgazette.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join