It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive: Obama, UK's Cameron discussed tapping oil reserves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Exclusive: Obama, UK's Cameron discussed tapping oil reserves

ca.news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama and British Prime Minister David Cameron discussed the possibility of releasing emergency oil reserves during a meeting on Wednesday, two sources familiar with the talks said, the first sign that Obama is starting to test global support for an effort to knock back near-record fuel prices. Obama raised the issue during a broad bilateral meeting at the White House, according to a UK official with knowledge of the discussion.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Wow. A sane thought of the upper echelons of power, what's next? Taking steps to be self sufficient as a nation? Nah. Too expensive.

Although it IS election time and with a possible war with Iran around the corner, dropping oil prices in spite of the demand may be an economic booster and a penny saver.

This, as the article mentions, may all be just that... talk.

ca.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
When they say drop oil prices, it would probably end up being -5p less per litre or something virtual worthless. Since we stopped taking oil from Iran prices over here have risen about 7p in only a few weeks, and that's a huge amount to rise in such a short space of time.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
How about if Dave Cameron leaves the reserves where they are and CUTS THE TAX on fuel that we have to pay?

64% of the cost of petrol in the UK is Duty tax and VAT.
Do not tell me they cannot afford to cut that by half or a third at least.

The words Mafia and extortion come to mind..

Ever get the feeling you've been had?

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Obama did the same thing last spring. I hope it hits the speculators in the pocket

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Sounds like they are trying to prolong the eminent collapse. The sooner the better.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Watch this...by emergncy oil reserves Obama surely means "Invade Alberta". I'm holding out for the day lol

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Anything but drill huh?
What happens when we really need the oil reserve during a national emergency?
I say drill in land and sea and build the Canada/USA pipeline

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I am wondering if this does not have more to do with the possibility of attacks on Syria and Iran . . . a preemptive step to help with the sure to ensue skyrocketing of oil/gas prices and overall decline of the economy because of it.

Just saying . . . I am sure that they want to help us out at the pump but this seems a step in the complete opposite direction from the previous status-quo where we had also experienced higher prices; tapping the reserves was rejected.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Prices did go down when Obama last released oil reserves. It's not going to hurt anything. People attack everything he does as if every action he takes is to destroy the country. It's getting old...really old.

Hopefully this helps things till october when the new law takes into effect considering oil speculation.
edit on 15-3-2012 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I don't think opening up the reserves is a good idea just because it's expensive. Its short sighted, they are reserves so when the rest of the world runs out America will still have oil. It shouldn't be used as a bargaining chip in a presedential election.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

I was not aware that he ever tapped into the reserves???? When was that?

Anyhow, in my opinion, we need to start drilling and build the pipeline for the Canadian oil to come through although we would probably ship much of the finished product overseas just as we currently do here in America.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

OK, oil spplies are important, but what did Cameron really go there for? The trip seems to have drifted out of the news sources I follow.

new topics

top topics

join