It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Threatens India With Sanctions Over Iranian Oil

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by squandered

Originally posted by slanteye
reply to post by daaskapital

That is why India does not trust the US enough to buy its fighter jets. Imagine being saddled with 120 US made fighter jets with no spare parts. US foreign policy and strong arm tactics will scare away potential customers. This is bad for your aviation industries at home. More and more countries purchasing European and Russian planes, military or civilian stuff. But because Boeing and Lockheed Martin have contracts with the govt. no one dares to voice up.

No it's because they cost half as much, but I'd go with American if you want spare parts. India can put all it's eggs in Russia's basket if it wants. The world would be interested to see India having an alliance and not playing the field, just for once.

I wouldn't even get into the Gorshkov Deal
Do you think the Russians dont like milking?

How else would you conduct a successful aircraft business if you were the CEO of a Major Aircraft Manufacturer?
Support and Maintenance is what drives many industries including the biggest one (IT & Software). Generally the intention is to ensure a source of revenue for any major corporation but upto certain extent its also the quality of non OEM spares that are questionable. I'm sure you wouldn't want many of your aircrafts to crash and gain a bad reputation in the vast global defense industry due to faulty spares now would you?

Lets talk about the hundreds of Mig crashes (including the SU 30MKI) and all the scandal behind the BOFORs and the Spares for MIG's (sent from russia of inferior/worn/used quality along with locally manufactured inferior spares). Not all but Majority of India's wounds are self inflicted by certain percentage of their own government.
Lets not even get into the huge Defense spare parts industry that thrives in India. I do agree that its a balancing act (to buy from overseas vs domestically manufacturered military equipment(s)/spares) but its a tough one when there are several fractions within the democratic govt of India.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by atsmem1980

Originally posted by hp1229

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by marg6043
We are now going to war with India right after US decimates whom? oh yeah Iran, then China.

edit on 16-3-2012 by atsmem1980 because: (no reason given)

trouble came in the form of the brits who didn't mind killing our people , looting us of wealth, wrecking our economy..oh yeah we have to thank the brits a lot..u say that "Brits that actually forced the Indian Independence Movement to form the most diverse nation from some 500 plus states down to 22 states that it represents today" is better than all the evil they did to us?

u must be mad ..we were doin well 4 ourselves pal..we didn't need their 'HELP'

Do you think all that matters? Killing and Looting the Wealth? How many did they kill in comparison to the 1.2 Billion that India houses today? How many billions of dollars or ruppees the brits looted? It occurred even before the Brits arrived in India. When I indicated that 'Brits Forced India', I mean it in a indirect way. Do you think there was a Freedom Movement before the Brits? Lets not go all the way but just to the Moghul period
Who and why do you think the 500+ states were consolidated into the 22 today? Think about it. 500+ states only shows the lack of unification in political ideology and system and not the political strength.

If it was doing well then how did it manage to be invaded by several civilizations? Do you think there was a central government in India before the Brits with 500 plus states? Religion & Culture was the only thing that kept the region intact upto certain extent which I think is just as powerful. Otherwise, as far as/what the eye can (beautiful women included) see was the motto and ownership of the Maharajas who ruled in several regions besides the Moghuls. How did you think the Brits even managed to Rule India? ...Lack of UNITY and Central Government. Biggest weakness of all. Divide and Conquer
Does that ring a bell? That can only happen when there is lack of unity.

Nevertheless, I do not wish to drift away from the OP. I'm sure the Indian government will find a way as they have always been good and savvy negotiators. India and Turkey were considered to negotiate a deal with Iran before the above news popped up in the MSM. If I were the Indian Government, I would place a demand to offset the oil supply from Iran to be facilitated from other oil producing nations without any legal implications. Iran will sell the oil to anyone now or in the future regardless of what their buyers think or abide to the international community. It is the existing Government that will be replaced in Iran (if at all or atleast the current goal) but economic ties will continue if not now, down the road as Iran needs Indian goods (agricultural products and service oriented industries) just as much as India needs Iranian Oil. At times I wondered why Russia cannot offset/facilitate the additional oil and gas that India needs
There is definitely a room for a pipeline project

edit on 16-3-2012 by hp1229 because: edit content

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SashaHighkick
Love my country, hate my government..... Why can't they just mind their own business? It's not like it is perfect here at home, plenty of hungry, homeless and corruption in our government to fix. Money better spent at home, than meddling with other's affairs.

I agree however I think its prolly discussed and staged. All part of the 'Art of Negotiation'. Demand 100% and you might get 50%. Demand 200% and you might get 100%. Oh well. Geopolitics in 2012 thus far has definitely been weird and interesting.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Obama is plain and simply being a piece of #$%#^

Correction. He happens to be a nobel peace prize winning piece of #$%#^.

That was hilarious.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

India is not an ally of the U.S, BRICS nations are moving away from the dollar , what would happen if India refuses to comply, is the U.S or NATO or whoever going to invade India..do nations have that kind of money these days ?

If there is a WWIII, mainly Russia vrs NATO, then who's side will India be on.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I guess you are not very good at spotting sarcasm!!

Heehee. Sorry I am used to responding to youtubers. As for my previous post I think the indians have a right to buy from who they want,as we also have the right to deny them services such as Aid and trade. Its not un ethethical just good buisness. Still its not good to drag India into a battle if that is where its headed. The Big question is though. Will cutting iran off from being able to Buy and Sell goods bring them to the negotiating table or will it cause the pearl harbor scenario?

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by victor7

India is not an ally of the U.S, BRICS nations are moving away from the dollar , what would happen if India refuses to comply, is the U.S or NATO or whoever going to invade India..do nations have that kind of money these days ?

As the vastly superior force is NATO India will side with NATO, but as NATO won't do squat India will not have to pick sides.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   

y do uthink ww3 maybe rus vs nato?

i bet on india with nato

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

i bet on india with nato

The words WWIII and NATO don't go hand in hand.

Also why is there supposed to be a WWIII? Can you tell me?

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Sharpenmycleats

You are smart

Love brigunny

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

i bet on india with nato

That is why India has been a slave nation for last 900 years, being slaved, oppressed, exploited and brutalized by foreign powers. Go figure.......!
edit on 17-3-2012 by victor7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Here's some latest and interesting news I came over today:

Clearing the way for oil refiners to pay Iran in Indian rupee, the Union Budget has exempted the payments made for crude oil purchased from the Persian Gulf nation, from any local tax.
[...]
As a way out, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee in his Budget for 2012-13 exempted payments to Iran from taxes in "national interest".

The exemptions would be effective from April 1, 2012.
[...]
Under the mechanism agreed, NIOC will accept 45% of the payments in an account opened in Kolkata-based UCO Bank. UCO Bank has been chosen because it has no US or European exposure and its overseas presence is limited to Hong Kong, Singapore and China.

"In the national interest, a mechanism has been devised to make payment of certain foreign companies in India in Indian currency for import of crude oil," the Budget documents said.

"The curent provisions of the Income-tax Act would render such payment taxable in India because payment because payment is being received by these foreign companies in India in Indian currency. This would not be justified when such payment is based on national interest and particularly when no other activity is being carried out in India by these foreign companies expect receipt of payment in Indian currency," it said.

Budget 2012 exempts Iranian oil payments from income tax

This is a big move by the Indian govt. to clear the way and exempt tax for companies trading oil with Iran. For the moment it seems like India will go ahead and maintain trade relations with old partner Iran.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

What is it with the US thinking they are the world police. India has an old and sophisticated culture.. They should tell the US to take a hike.

I guess things will change soon it is predicted that within ten years both China and India will overtake the American economy and if the US want to go round acting like world nazis.. Then good riddance..

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

i bet on india with nato

That is why India has been a slave nation for last 900 years, being slaved, oppressed, exploited and brutalized by foreign powers. Go figure.......!
edit on 17-3-2012 by victor7 because: (no reason given)

nothing great about colonizing nations by cheats, thieves and murderers
edit on 17-3-2012 by atsmem1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

i bet on india with nato

sorry typo mistake i meant india with russia

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

nothing great about colonizing nations by cheats, thieves and murderers

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Oddly enough, this is what popped into my head as I was reading the thread.

Who is the ONLY Politician and Presidential Candidate that has talked about the sovereignty of other Nations and not dictating to them what they can and can not do because it creates larger problems for us as a Nation and that type of policy does not work? Oh yeah... that one guy who is bat snip crazy and "unelectable"
edit on 17-3-2012 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by squandered

If your country is in good terms with the US then spare parts will not be a problem. India choose the Rafael because it could be operated from their carriers( Russian ). As for being half the cost, the Super Hornets offered is roughly in the same price category. It can also be operated from carriers. Pakistan had some F16s in their inventory but only a few are flying while the rest cannibalised for spare parts. Maybe they got it for free as part of the aid in fighting terrorism but India is paying hence they have to select carefully.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by squandered

Highly improbable for India to side with Nato. India's military hardware besides the newly purchased Rafaels and a handful of Mirage 2000s consists of mainly Russian tanks, submarines, fighter jets ( SU30MKI ) aircraft carrier and whatnot. India would end up with a lot of scrap iron if it goes along with Nato. At best they'd try to stay out and not get sucked in. War is never good for any country and its people. Hindus do not fight earthly wars but intergalactic ones....like in the Mahabharata..lol. Peace brother.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Just to carry on with the follow up..here's the latest tidbit

A major Indian trade delegation to Iran to explore export opportunities created by US-led sanctions against the Islamic republic was a big success, a leader of the mission has said.

The 80-member delegation spent five days in the Persian Gulf nation last week in a bid to boost Indian exports as a way of paying the country's huge oil bill to Iran.
[...]
The trade mission, headed by Indian Joint Commerce Secretary Arvind Mehta, came as the intensifying sanctions campaign dries up dollar and euro payment routes that India has been using to pay for Iranian oil imports.

Trade mission to Iran 'very successful'

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join