It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taliban halts talks with US, Karzai urges NATO to leave villages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Taliban halts talks with US, Karzai urges NATO to leave villages

rt.com

The Afghan Taliban says it has suspended talks with the United States. This comes from the group’s spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid. Earlier, Afghanistan President Karzai had said NATO forces should leave rural areas and pull back to the main bases.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
This is a breaking, story I will try and add more sources as they become available, it sounds like this situation is deteriorating.

Do you think the Alliance will pull back or will this encourage a fresh new offensive?

I guess they can always pull back and deploy more drones.....

If anyone has any good sources from in country please post these and I will try to add to the OP

Doesn't sound like good news anyway.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

bbc.co.uk

EDIT, from the bbc article

The Taliban in Afghanistan have suspended nascent talks with the US over opening an office in Qatar.

The US had been trying to set up a dialogue with the Taliban in the Gulf state for some time.

Meanwhile, President Hamid Karzai has called for Nato-led forces to move out of Afghan villages and rural areas after a US soldier killed 16 civilians.

He told the visiting US defence secretary Afghan troops should take the lead for nationwide security in 2013.

In a statement, the Taliban said the US kept changing the terms of the negotiations.

This caused them to suspend talks with the US aimed at setting up a political office in Qatar and on a prisoner exchange.
edit on 15-3-2012 by Maponos because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Wait a minute I thought the US doesn't negotiate with terrorists, does this mean we are indirectly losing the war?

join