It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More states to get BearCat vehicles(Australia)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by WorkingClassMan

There is a county in Alabama USA where you MUST have a firearm to live in the County and crime there is almost non existant, now that is sensible gun control

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Even though it is easy to obtain a weapon you surrender your privacy rights in Australia as law enforcement can turn up at your door at any time and check to make sure your weapon or weapons are either in a locked safe or gun cabinet, i really still believe my home is my castle and have a bit of a problem with some jack booted brain washed idiot making my life decisions.

Yeah, this is true. I've never been inspected myself, but from what i've heard from people who have, it's not a big deal. Hell i even had one mate who had a bong on the coffee table when they came through.. lol the cop just rolled his eyes, looked the other way and asked to see the gun safe.. hahaha.. of course i doubt this would be the normal reaction, but true story nonetheless. Generally i've encounted a much higher percentage of good cops than bad ones (tho the bad ones can be real f**kwits).. I think because of the generally low population of Australian cities (Melb and Syd prob the exception) most Aussie cops haven't yet become completely detached from the community (unlike USA and UK) and are still people first and cops second in any neutral situation...
or maybe i've just been fortunate *shrug*

Edit to add: I exclude traffic cops from this comment, they are just annoying revenue raising corporate tools..

edit on 16-3-2012 by Funk bunyip because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad

Originally posted by Kryties
Christ almighty, what is it with Americans jumping on their high-horse about guns every time a story comes up from another country like this?

You will note that Australia hasn't seen a school massacre - like ever. I don't fear sending my kids to school here.

Oh and for the completely ignorant amongst you, for your information guns are still allowed to be owned in Australia as long as one has good reason and passes police checks. Those reasons include pest control, target shooting, hunting etc etc. I plan on getting a hunting license in the future, as I enjoyed doing that when I was young, before the gun laws came into effect.

The difference is, I can walk outside and be in little to no fear of even hearing gunshots, let alone be shot by one.

To be honest most Americans killed by guns are not killed by criminals. Its mostly accidents or domestic related.

To be honest, you are completely full of crap.

Did you do any research? Explain why most gun deaths are males if they are domestic-related. Domestics are usually male on female, yes?

Drugs and suicides alone account for more than 2 out of every 3 gun deaths in the US. Suicides mostly among older males, drugs with younger males. Do your research.

The accident rate for firearms is extremely low. In fact, here is an article about accidental gun deaths: Accidental Gun Deaths at All-Time Low

I think we'd all appreciate it if you would stop making stuff up.

Thanks.

edit on 17-3-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-3-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
Look on the bright side - that will make a nice trophy when the SHTF and the cops are overrun.. Oh wait, you guys let your government take your guns.

Never mind.

They didn't take mine. It wasn't a "mass collection of everyone's arms". You just need to ensure the right steps are taken and you legally justify their ownership.

My gun-safe is locked and stocked thank you very much.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRiPWiRE

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
Look on the bright side - that will make a nice trophy when the SHTF and the cops are overrun.. Oh wait, you guys let your government take your guns.

Never mind.

They didn't take mine. It wasn't a "mass collection of everyone's arms". You just need to ensure the right steps are taken and you legally justify their ownership.

My gun-safe is locked and stocked thank you very much.

I hope you weren't the only one. If there is a revolution in the US, I firmly believe it will embolden the citizens of other oppressed countries to follow suit.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

I hope you weren't the only one. If there is a revolution in the US, I firmly believe it will embolden the citizens of other oppressed countries to follow suit.

I hope and believe that in any "revolution" scenario soldiers would join with the people, not against them and it would be a peaceful standdown. My firearms are simply insurance in case of a CME power blackout, so i can hunt food and protect those i care about; not to shoot people.
edit on 17-3-2012 by Funk bunyip because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Funk bunyip

It may not be a big deal to have Law Enforcement come to your home to check your secure weapons, however It feels like a pre curser to get the citizens used to having their privacy invaded, you probably are not aware of the Australia wide law which was passed back in 1998 which gives the right to any Law Enforcement Officer the right to enter your premesis IF they THINK a crime is being commited inside, which opens the door for all kinds of abuse of power, (example) you are entertaining a police officers girlfriend in your home and he wants to stop the procedings, he has the right to kick in your door, now lets face it cops are just people, who usually have some kind of appearance deficency and probably were bullied at school and now have a chance to even the score and previously the only qualification to be a cop in Aussie was to be over 5'10" and have no criminal convictions, now they have dropped the height restriction and now we also have the napoleanic complex to deal with. and i will agree with you on the traffic (revenue raising) cops, You can feel the fear of the people as they CREEP along the highways, with cops hiding in the bushes behind bus shelters and in old vans and any sneaky thing they could think of, and as i listened to the local police scanner any time a serious event was taking place like SHOTS FIRED it would be 5 to 10 minutes before a squeaky trembling voice would come on and ask for information, and then never come back again if it sounded too serious, my advice is to have another loaded weapon in close proximity to you so in the event of an immediate life threatening situation you will not have to rely on any outside help, and if you have to kill someome you can say you wrestled it from the offender and used it on him hahaha make sure you have wiped all the prints off the ammo as forensic will check them,( by the way the above is all based on pure speculation) LOL

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamstalker

It may not be a big deal to have Law Enforcement come to your home to check your secure weapons, however It feels like a pre curser to get the citizens used to having their privacy invaded, you probably are not aware of the Australia wide law which was passed back in 1998 which gives the right to any Law Enforcement Officer the right to enter your premesis IF they THINK a crime is being commited inside, which opens the door for all kinds of abuse of power, (example) you are entertaining a police officers girlfriend in your home and he wants to stop the procedings, he has the right to kick in your door, now lets face it cops are just people, who usually have some kind of appearance deficency and probably were bullied at school and now have a chance to even the score and previously the only qualification to be a cop in Aussie was to be over 5'10" and have no criminal convictions, now they have dropped the height restriction and now we also have the napoleanic complex to deal with. and i will agree with you on the traffic (revenue raising) cops, You can feel the fear of the people as they CREEP along the highways, with cops hiding in the bushes behind bus shelters and in old vans and any sneaky thing they could think of...

Everything you wrote that i've quoted above i agree with. And yes i was aware of that law. So what is the solution? Cops need the right to enter a house if they hear screams etc... but, like you said, this is so open to abuse and the whim of the individual cop. One cop might kick down your door because they smell pot smoke even though it's only a $100 fine (in my state) and the law allows them to do it.. and i have to pay for the door!
The big question is how do we police the police? How do we weed out the bad eggs when there is a culture within the police force to look out for each other and turn a blind eye, which allows them to get away with it?

As for the home invasion scenario, i will never keep a loaded gun in my house, nor will i keep one under the bed. A cricket bat yes
how many times have you heard of someone half asleep shooting a friend/family member because of groggy knee jerk mistaken identity? You can take back a wack on the head with a cricket bat, you can't take back a bullet.

OP- sorry about the slightly offtopic convo!
edit on 18-3-2012 by Funk bunyip because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Funk bunyip

To each his own on the weapon, I lived in The USA too long, and you are protected by a constitution there a cop has to have probably cause to #1 stop you while you are driving legally.and if that occurs your first question is "why did you stop me officer?" #2 If a cop enters your house looking for a 42" TV and opens up your backpack and finds a kilo of coc aine, it becomes illegal search and seizure, as a 42"tv would not fit in a back pack and he had no right to search it unless the" search warrant "stipulated that you were a suspected armed felon and could have a concealed weapon, but the warrant would have to indicate that fact, in australia unfortunately the citizen rights have become so eroded you basically have no rights, and the police no longer (protect and serve) but Enforce the law, Aussie has the old Magna Carta and a Bill of Right with so many holes it looks and smells like swiss cheese, and the sad thing most Aussies have nothing to compare their rights to so they just go along with the status quo, the one thing they do have is when the chips are down they are some of the Bravest men and women on this planet, so when the sh-t finally does hit the fan you are still living in one of the best places on earth.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I guess we just go along with our laws because everyone is so laid back that issues rarely happen to cause us to question the laws.. but you are right, if something big happened which would cause our society to become more high strung, like an Australian 9/11, then the laws are already there to screw us over. The crazy thing is, so many Australians grow up watching American TV, they actually think US laws are our laws!

so when the sh-t finally does hit the fan you are still living in one of the best places on earth.

Great people, great spirit, but our politicians are still corrupt corporate lying snakes, just like everywhere else...

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

How can you say gun control doesn't work, if you made it harder for kids/idiots/social retards to acquire guns then you have less deaths at their hands.
Will it stop crime no but don't be naive it's a bit harder for the bullied kid to kill a bunch of his class mates if he can't just go home and grab an arsenal, there is less chance of being killed by a robber armed with a knife than one with a Mac10, the guy who just had a fight with his girl & family might have had time to cool down and think accept when he went to go for a drive to cool off he saw the AK he got for buying a car and the rest is prime time.

You are just repeating anti-gun media BS the proof is in the states with the least or no gun control also having the least amount of crime and the states with the strictest gun control being some of the most dangerous places on the planet LA NY and DC being cases in point. Knife attacks kill far more people the guns.

You can implement all the gun control you want and that just makes it easier for people to get guns just like drugs. Please show us how drug control has made illegal drugs harder to get? You can't and neither does gun control make it harder to get guns. It is just feel good BS put out by anti-gun idiots it does not work and never will as has been proven over and over. Crime rates drop dramatically every time gun control is removed! Also they increase dramatically when it is implemented like in England.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Funk bunyip

a.Member of a shooting or rifle club. b.Own a farm or land where a gun is used as a tool. ie Feral pigs c.Must have an owned and inspected gun safe where the trigger mechanism is removed during storage.

Shirak - This is not the case in South Australia, none of that criteria is required for class A or B.. a lockable storage case yes, but no removal of trigger necessary. Strange, i thought our gun laws were now unified throughout all states

Workingclassman - well said!

edit on 15-3-2012 by Funk bunyip because: (no reason given)

Yeah I was trying to list some of the criteria for use. Forgot to mention laws may differ state to state. Without being pedantic the laws are listed on the web for anyone wanting State to state differences. My Point being one needs to have a legitimate use for the firearm aside from home defense etc.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I take it back. This happened yesterday:

Man killed by police tasers in Sydney

F***ing animals

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Funk bunyip
I take it back. This happened yesterday:

Man killed by police tasers in Sydney

F***ing animals

Yes the police are starting to become animals here. its shocking.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye

How can you say gun control doesn't work, if you made it harder for kids/idiots/social retards to acquire guns then you have less deaths at their hands.
Will it stop crime no but don't be naive it's a bit harder for the bullied kid to kill a bunch of his class mates if he can't just go home and grab an arsenal, there is less chance of being killed by a robber armed with a knife than one with a Mac10, the guy who just had a fight with his girl & family might have had time to cool down and think accept when he went to go for a drive to cool off he saw the AK he got for buying a car and the rest is prime time.

You are just repeating anti-gun media BS the proof is in the states with the least or no gun control also having the least amount of crime and the states with the strictest gun control being some of the most dangerous places on the planet LA NY and DC being cases in point. Knife attacks kill far more people the guns.

You can implement all the gun control you want and that just makes it easier for people to get guns just like drugs. Please show us how drug control has made illegal drugs harder to get? You can't and neither does gun control make it harder to get guns. It is just feel good BS put out by anti-gun idiots it does not work and never will as has been proven over and over. Crime rates drop dramatically every time gun control is removed! Also they increase dramatically when it is implemented like in England.

I don't believe so, and I didn't say taking away guns ends crime I said this & I stand by it (if you made it harder for kids/idiots/social retards to acquire guns then you have less deaths at their hands).
I'm no gun control nut I own multiple fire arms, legally and safely, the fact still remains most people act on impulse especially young males. Take away there accessibility they have time to cool down instead of doing something rash, look at your school shootings here 90% of kids wouldn't be able to get there hands on a gun in US I would say 90% could have them before the day was out. How many School shootings or just gun confiscations do the US have compared to Oz explain that to me. If my kid came home from school after a year of bullying and abuse they could get access to my guns but they would need an angle grinder or something, I bet most American kids just have to open dads cupboard, top desk draw or their own. see the difference which parent is more likely to know something is wrong the one who didn't hear or see anything or the one who goes holy hell that sounds like a grinder on metal or WTF are all these metal shavings doing over the bedroom floor.
Yes Knives kill more people that guns but I would wager if every house/workplace or what ever had 20 plus guns loaded in the kitchen draw you would see very different stats. I would take a scared kid/drug addict/crazy guy with a knife over one with an automatic any day, shaky hand with a knife = dropped knife or ineffective attack, shaky hand & a hair trigger = I really didn't mean to shoot him or the woman holding the baby behind him.
I assure you it was a lot easier here to get a gun before gun laws were reformed sure you can still get one especially in Sydney/melbourne but most other places it would take more than a walk down the street hitting up the first unsavoury looking guy you find & you would need more expendable cash than the typical school kid bogan has, before you would go next door and hit up old mate he would of sold his gun which hadn't been used in 10 years for a case of beer.
Don't compare drugs and guns, one is manufactured with serial numbers can be traced etc & the other is grown in a hippies back yard or undergoes basic chemistry, if we had the same laws relating to ephedrine ect here as the US we would have a Meth dealer on every corner and the associated problems like US, yes you can still buy meth but I would wager not as easily as America, So here drug control has made drugs harder to get but this is not the good old US of A.

In conclusion gun control here has made guns harder to get, just like drug control has made drugs harder to get, did they go to far IMHO yes would the alternative be better probably not.

Once again on topic who is getting these things and what is their stipulated use.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Hey could you space your text out a bit more?

Its a wall of text hard to read.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   

ZARA DAWTREY | June 20, 2013 12.01am IT arrived amid a storm of publicity a year ago today -- but few have seen Tasmania Police's biggest, baddest and most expensive "toy" since.

www.themercury.com.au...

Just thought a update on this thread would be good.

Have noticed the number plate has a 33 in it.

Registration Number C 33 SM

Will this thing be needed at the Salamanca Market, Its a market in Hobart.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 20-6-2013 by amraks because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join