It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More states to get BearCat vehicles(Australia)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Look on the bright side - that will make a nice trophy when the SHTF and the cops are overrun.. Oh wait, you guys let your government take your guns.

Where is this misconception coming from? I'm Australian, i have a firearms licence and i have guns. They banned semi-autos.. it's still only like $100 and a one day safety course to own a shotgun and hi-powered rifles. Handguns you just need to be a member of a shooting club...

ok.. so we can't own uzi's or ak47s

um... good!
edit on 15-3-2012 by Funk bunyip because: typo

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
ooOOoo, I like those. I better find a source of steel plate and weld up a new body for my old Pajero that I've just taken off the road, I wonder where I can get bulletproof glass from

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

your spot on , from a US citizen in the US, in the state of Utah, why do we have guns when we as you see it "should have used them"? could it be we are not blood thirsty nor willing to shed blood so easily? or are we just full of hot air and show off our guns, shooting skills on YouTube?

when the guns will be taken only out laws will have guns, this is true in a any nation, if not be by guns then garden tools machetes, and kitchen knives.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by 74Templar

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
Look on the bright side - that will make a nice trophy when the SHTF and the cops are overrun.. Oh wait, you guys let your government take your guns.

Never mind.

Just to clarify. We didn't allow our government to take our guns, our government created a false flag event, and changed the law without the will of the people to take away our guns from us. We now have an entire generation that wouldn't know how to use a gun, much less how to defend themselves in a real SHTF situation, which is just how the government wants us....

That was almost 15 years ago. They are still doing it now.

edit on 15-3-2012 by 74Templar because: no reason given

Just to clarify to all of you in OZ and wherever else that took away your guns. While it's true that we're sitting here while our government encroaches on our liberties, we are not doing nothing. We are observing. We are waiting for a catalyst event - something to happen to get the revolution started. We are not wishing for it, however. We are not brainless. We are hoping that the groundswell of constitutionalist thinking led by a certain Dr. Ron Paul will spread and people will start to change the situation with their voices rather than having to resort to violence. But resort to violence we will if necessary. There are a LOT of us here who think like this, not just on ATS.

If/When the gestapo comes knocking to take away my guns, They will not get them without bloodshed - that I guarantee. It will probably be mine, but it will be plenty of theirs, too.

edit on 15-3-2012 by AwakeinNM because: buttahfingas

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Never mind.

Just to clarify. We didn't allow our government to take our guns, our government created a false flag event, and changed the law without the will of the people to take away our guns from us. We now have an entire generation that wouldn't know how to use a gun, much less how to defend themselves in a real SHTF situation, which is just how the government wants us....

Just to clarify to all of you in OZ and wherever else that took away your guns. While it's true that we're sitting here while our government encroaches on our liberties, we are not doing nothing. We are observing. We are waiting for a catalyst event - something to happen to get the revolution started. We are not wishing for it, however. We are not brainless. We are hoping that the groundswell of constitutionalist thinking led by a certain Dr. Ron Paul will spread and people will start to change the situation with their voices rather than having to resort to violence. But resort to violence we will if necessary. There are a LOT of us here who think like this, not just on ATS.

If/When the gestapo comes knocking to take away my guns, They will not get them without bloodshed - that I guarantee. It will probably be mine, but it will be plenty of theirs, too.

What makes you think we are sitting here on our hands waiting for the law to come a knockin? They didn't fully ban guns, only semi and fully automatic weapons, which you can still own provided you have the right license to do so. Even before Port Arthur the laws were pretty much as they are now, and as far as Port Arthur is concerned, up till that point there were no gun laws in Tasmania, people could own whatever without any form of license. You seem to think we are nothing more than a bunch of dead eyed sheep who have our heads down in prayer whenever the law starts banging their drums. May I make a suggestion before you assume that of us and fall flat on your gun-toting, yee-hawing proverbial, come over here and see for yourself. Many of us are just like you, oppressed and extremely pissed at a system that is nothing short of a dictatorship, and many of us are taking real steps to make sure we won't be steamrolled by our dictatorship when the time comes.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Never mind.

What makes you think we are sitting here on our hands waiting for the law to come a knockin? They didn't fully ban guns, only semi and fully automatic weapons, which you can still own provided you have the right license to do so. Even before Port Arthur the laws were pretty much as they are now, and as far as Port Arthur is concerned, up till that point there were no gun laws in Tasmania, people could own whatever without any form of license. You seem to think we are nothing more than a bunch of dead eyed sheep who have our heads down in prayer whenever the law starts banging their drums. May I make a suggestion before you assume that of us and fall flat on your gun-toting, yee-hawing proverbial, come over here and see for yourself. Many of us are just like you, oppressed and extremely pissed at a system that is nothing short of a dictatorship, and many of us are taking real steps to make sure we won't be steamrolled by our dictatorship when the time comes.

Firstly, good to hear you are as pissed as we are. I would like to see a revolution become global - it needs to be. Secondly, do not put words in my mouth, and easy with the name-calling.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Yeah youre right, apologies all round, I guess if thats what you wake up to and there's no coffee within arm's reach it happens....
All caffeined up now.

The bottom line is our gun laws aren't being completely taken away, just more tightly controlled. Luckily you have a constitution that protects your rights, sadly, the government here has more reign over what we do. The problem, at it's core though, is not the gun laws, it's people's general laziness to want to effect change. People are in truth sheep en masse, as in they won't stop the government here from taking away our rights unless it becomes very apparent it will be bad for us (think hip pocket). Changing the laws here really didn't do anything other than a) send guns underground, into the hands of the "real" criminals, and b) allowed people to get more creative in how crimes are comitted. Ram-raiding was almost unheard of until the gun laws changed, now it is the norm here.
Besides, I'm happy there are others out there like us who share this sentiment against our new world masters, and I do hope when it comes to pass, I will be able to stand shoulder to shoulder with others and take them down, no matter what weapons are in our hands.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
Christ almighty, what is it with Americans jumping on their high-horse about guns every time a story comes up from another country like this?

You will note that Australia hasn't seen a school massacre - like ever. I don't fear sending my kids to school here.

Oh and for the completely ignorant amongst you, for your information guns are still allowed to be owned in Australia as long as one has good reason and passes police checks. Those reasons include pest control, target shooting, hunting etc etc. I plan on getting a hunting license in the future, as I enjoyed doing that when I was young, before the gun laws came into effect.

The difference is, I can walk outside and be in little to no fear of even hearing gunshots, let alone be shot by one.

To be honest most Americans killed by guns are not killed by criminals. Its mostly accidents or domestic related. Its not like people are being shot all over the place. Americans love guns, sadly many of them are also idiots. I have very mixed feelings on the issue. I know that criminals get guns by stealing them from legit owners because people do not secure them. I know people do not secure weapons so kids find them and kill themselves or others. I know idiots do not practice gun safety and shoot themselves and others on accident all the time. However should all those idiots ruin my right to own weapons that I properly secure and have years of training on? I don't think so.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Ahh Tassie my home state.. Does anybody realise it's still one of the easiest places to buy guns? I could make a
Call now and buy a Glock with ammo for $750, cheaper if I buy 5.

And whoever said "what's the civilian pee shooters going to do against the police level gear " or whatnot, I have a few mates in the states, one of which has every wall in his bedroom And the back of his door racked up with every conceivable rifle, and a couple of big machine guns, another has military moded ak's and m4-'s.

Infact from my knowledge there isn't much difference law enforcement and public, and considering the guys I know, with there guns and military background, I'd LOL if the law tried a no knock entry.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

To be honest most Americans killed by guns are not killed by criminals. Its mostly accidents or domestic related. Its not like people are being shot all over the place. Americans love guns, sadly many of them are also idiots. I have very mixed feelings on the issue. I know that criminals get guns by stealing them from legit owners because people do not secure them. I know people do not secure weapons so kids find them and kill themselves or others.

This is the very reason Australians are required by law to have a gun safe. The last thing i would want is to come home one day and find a burglar pointing my own weapon at me!

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
The problem with gun laws in Australia is that without a huge block of land to qualify for a license for "pest control" or a lot of time on your hands to shoot for sport, it is impossible to get a license.

That makes it hard for regular people to obtain a gun for casual shooting and home protection.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rukas
The problem with gun laws in Australia is that without a huge block of land to qualify for a license for "pest control" or a lot of time on your hands to shoot for sport, it is impossible to get a license.

That makes it hard for regular people to obtain a gun for casual shooting and home protection.

Mate, you are completely wrong. I live in suburbia in a rented unit with almost no backyard. When applying for a license, all you have to do is tick the boxes saying what you want the gun for. I ticked 'hunting', 'target practice' and 'collector'. I didn't have to say where i would be hunting or target shooting, they require no verification at all. The only time you need to verify anything is if you are going for a class C (self loading) or class H (handguns) in which case you simply have to present current gun club membership papers.

However, if/when you do go hunting, you do need written permission of the landowner and a hunting permit, which are both easily obtained with no fuss.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Funk bunyip

Originally posted by Rukas

Mate, you are completely wrong. I live in suburbia in a rented unit with almost no backyard. When applying for a license, all you have to do is tick the boxes saying what you want the gun for. I ticked 'hunting', 'target practice' and 'collector'. I didn't have to say where i would be hunting or target shooting, they require no verification at all. The only time you need to verify anything is if you are going for a class C (self loading) or class H (handguns) in which case you simply have to present current gun club membership papers.

However, if/when you do go hunting, you do need written permission of the landowner and a hunting permit, which are both easily obtained with no fuss.

Thank you! How difficult was the process? I admit I have only ever looked into class H as that is what I wanted to shoot target practice, but the hours required now are crazy.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
What state are you in? Im wondering if it's any different in Victoria compared to where you are, if you're not here.

Looking into Class A and B Longarm right now...

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Never mind.

Actually you are misinformed. We may have guns if we undergo a Gun safety training course.
I have no problem with this being mandatory. There was a guy in our circle of friends when I lived in Canada who accidentally blew his head off at a party whilst playing with his while drunk.

Gun owners must have a reason for owning a gun.

a.Member of a shooting or rifle club.
b.Own a farm or land where a gun is used as a tool. ie Feral pigs
c.Must have an owned and inspected gun safe where the trigger mechanism is removed during storage.
d.Dur-ring transport must where option available keep it in a locked box or trunk with trigger mechanism removed.

What was bought back by the Government after the Port Arthur Massacre was the semi Auto versions. You know the kind which can take out large crowds of people? Another no brainer there.

As an Australian if you satisfy the requirements of the law you may legally own a firearm. Reason must be other than might need to shoot someone one day. I have no problem with this regulation I have a shooting license however no requirement for a firearm as I am not a member of a club or own a farm so I do not own one. If I did choose to hone up on my rifle skills one day I would be totally covered by law to do so in the appropriate environment. Not in a back alley shooting cans or small native birds.
I think common sense needs to be applied to regulation of death machines as common sense is not so common. Especially where alcohol is involved.
As for the purchase mentioned in this thread In the last few months we had a schoolgirl get a fake bomb strapped to her neck and they didn't have all the tools necessary to respond. I have no issue with Bomb squad having the right tools to do their job as long as we don't go nuts buy lemons like what happened with the submarine fiasco years long past.

edit on 15-3-2012 by Shirak because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye

Originally posted by Kryties
You will note that Australia hasn't seen a school massacre - like ever. I don't fear sending my kids to school here.

Stop believing the hype the only places it is dangerous in the US is in the places with the strictest gun bans Like LA and NY proving gun control does not work. I live in Idaho with little to no gun laws and machine guns are even legal here etc. We have one of the lowest crime rates in the country along with the other states that have little to no gun regulation. I can do all the things you do with no fear and I can do it armed with an open carry pistol strapped to my side or rifle slung over my back if I want to. You idiots will wish you never gave up the guns when they start rounding you up it was a stupid move and that is why you are derided for it...
edit on 15-3-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

How can you say gun control doesn't work, if you made it harder for kids/idiots/social retards to acquire guns then you have less deaths at their hands.
Will it stop crime no but don't be naive it's a bit harder for the bullied kid to kill a bunch of his class mates if he can't just go home and grab an arsenal, there is less chance of being killed by a robber armed with a knife than one with a Mac10, the guy who just had a fight with his girl & family might have had time to cool down and think accept when he went to go for a drive to cool off he saw the AK he got for buying a car and the rest is prime time.
Just look at the way your police act on random stops etc, that would never happen here, that being said yes little Jonny fugged us in da ars but we are not idiots and it is not like we had that much to take we never had the arsenals and larg numbers of the types of weapons you guys have.
Don't think we are unarmed and incapable though, the difference is I use a gauge and neutralise the threat not an AK-47 loaded with FMJs that will neutralise the threat my family and neighbours.
I never want to see joe blow owning 50 cal machine guns or anything of the sorts in my country nor do I want average crims having easy access to Ak's ,uzzi's, tech 9's mac10's or anything of the sorts, I do wish I could play around with 1 every now & then but that's a sacrifice I can live with.

How do we multi quote?

To the guy looking to get his license, in Qld you do the safety course, fill out the forms, submit to police check, pay your money and go buy your gun.
Use sport/target shooting as your reason Join SSAA or another club (you don't have to attend) don't bother mentioning hunting & NEVER mention home defense or similar EVER.
Category A & B. Centre fire, rim fire & shot gun is easy to get and no mandatory use required.
Cat H handguns semi autos etc harder and more money i.e 12months at least to get your hand gun and you will have to go to the range x amount of times a year, you will also see a very different response from the cops if they ever get called to your house for a domestic or something.

If it's a wang measuring comp with the military you guys want I think you will indeed be left holding the pee shooter, people talk about all the U.S militia groups and how well armed they are that's fine they aren't going to send a donut cop and his glock after you are they.
No the response/attack would be more along the line of heavy armour, tactical strikes etc, How many F22's do you have in the cupboard, or a couple of M-1 Abrams in the drive way, NO well please tell me you have at least a couple of cruis missiles stashed out back cause otherwise you have pee shooters.
Check the ego's at the door boys.

Back on topic what a bloody waste of money why do we need these things to stop some ethnics mouthing off, to mow down some drunk flag wearing bogans at Cronulla or tune up some indig prics in Redfurn.
Yeah I can see the justification for bringing armour to our streets, not.
Who is getting them?

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

a.Member of a shooting or rifle club. b.Own a farm or land where a gun is used as a tool. ie Feral pigs c.Must have an owned and inspected gun safe where the trigger mechanism is removed during storage.

Shirak - This is not the case in South Australia, none of that criteria is required for class A or B.. a lockable storage case yes, but no removal of trigger necessary. Strange, i thought our gun laws were now unified throughout all states

Workingclassman - well said!

edit on 15-3-2012 by Funk bunyip because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Rukas

I'm in SA, here it is very simple, pay your fee, police check is included in cost of fee, 1 day training course ( 1/2 theory 1/2 practical) and done! However, you do then have to wait a month before you can purchase your first firearm, it is less time for future purchases.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by amraks

I was in Tassie the week of the Martin Bryant incident, when talk of disarming the general aussie public was a huge TV topic, i was in a gun store in Hobart where they were giving instructions how to bury your weapons so as they would not rust, so not all were surrendered, thank heavens, also during the war with japan when they were doing bombing and straffing runs into Darwin there was a directive put in place in the event Australia was occupied by japan that the police and military were to assist Japan in rounding up any dissidents,

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Funk bunyip

Even though it is easy to obtain a weapon you surrender your privacy rights in Australia as law enforcement can turn up at your door at any time and check to make sure your weapon or weapons are either in a locked safe or gun cabinet, i really still believe my home is my castle and have a bit of a problem with some jack booted brain washed idiot making my life decisions.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join