It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Wars Fans! Please read!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
So i just found out that Star Wars : The Old Republic(online game like WoW i believe) is having a weekend free trial, i thought i'd give you guys a heads up! Here's the link www.swtor.com... if you guys wanna add me that would be great my screen name is "YouGotNoHips" see you guys later!

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Hipno

There with bells on!!
2nd line

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Im such an idiot, i just saw abovetopsecret is promoting it on the right -___- haha! I was watching big bang theory and the guys were going to play it. What a coincidence...

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I'm here, and I'm saying No.

Grab the recent Game Informer magazine. Go to the Star Wars section. You will see the most ridiculous invention in the history of Star Wars... the Tie Fighter Class!

It's a picture of a Tie Fighter... with legs! It's an actual class? No... I have to call it quits there. A Tie Fighter with legs, because it's a sentient being, and has it's own class.

I shed SWG before it gave me cancer. I don't want to get infected with that insanity ever again, especially with these new "ideas" coming into fruition.

edit on 15-3-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

But Jibby! I see you are a Jedi!?

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hipno

But Jibby! I see you are a Jedi!?

I am, so take it from a Jedi...
Star Wars MMORPG's are a money trap of giant hamster wheel proportions!

I was all over the SWG boards as a terrorist of SOE. I wrote an article for GameZone back in the day about Star Wars Galaxies. I lost years of my life on that game learning how to be a sucker. I'm not so eager to rejoin that black hole of profit margins, but I do respect the lore, which the online gaming world doesn't seem to respect.

A Tie Fighter class, with legs! Do I have to go on?

ETA- wow, it's still there after all these years...

I love Star Wars, but I also have common sense, and even if a game is free, it doesn't mean it's necessarily fun to play.

www.gamezone.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Don't even bother, I have level 50 Jedi Sentinel and the game just turns into an incredibly stale grind at the end. The population balance is horrendous, if your a new player your going to get totally dominated because of the large gear gap your going to have compared to older players. It will take you weeks of grinding to catch up. There is a severe lack of endgame content and the whole PvP system is broken as hell, it's just another game where time invested > skill.
edit on 15-3-2012 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Konduit

Don't even bother, I have level 50 Jedi Sentinel and the game just turns into an incredibly stale grind at the end. The population balance is horrendous, if your a new player your going to get totally dominated because of the large gear gap your going to have compared to older players.

A quote worthy of my article during the SWG era.
That world is never friendly to new faces, and it seems that tradition lives on today.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

Grab the recent Game Informer magazine. Go to the Star Wars section. You will see the most ridiculous invention in the history of Star Wars... the Tie Fighter Class!

It's a picture of a Tie Fighter... with legs! It's an actual class? No... I have to call it quits there. A Tie Fighter with legs, because it's a sentient being, and has it's own class.

It's not an actual class....
You actually fell for that? Lol, they also said you'd be able to play as the giant monster that almost ate luke, you know the one that didn't move? Forgot the name. It was also a joke.

Man people are gullible these days.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

It's an elaborate joke then, they had pictures and all in the magazine... I use it for toilet reading these days. I'm glad they didn't go that far then, doesn't change how I feel about the deformation of Star Wars for online profiting.

Back in the early days of SWG, the idea and the game, was absolutely perfect in every way... until about 6 months into it, when the devs destroyed it.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Konduit
Don't even bother, I have level 50 Jedi Sentinel and the game just turns into an incredibly stale grind at the end. The population balance is horrendous, if your a new player your going to get totally dominated because of the large gear gap your going to have compared to older players. You will have to spend weeks running the same 3 warzones just to catch up. There is a severe lack of endgame content and the whole PvP system is broken as hell, it's just another game where time invested > skill.

Um, you have to spend TWO weeks running the same 3 warzones "just" to catch up. As far as MMOs go, it's an extremely quick grind. The gear gap isn't bad at all...just a bunch of bad players complaining about it because they're bad and want something to blame it on.

You're right about the population balance, but there's not much they can do about that. People prefer the dark side.

edit on 15-3-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   

reply to post by Ghost375

doesn't change how I feel about the deformation of Star Wars for online profiting.

You do know that every star wars movie, even the originals, were made to make money, right?

Back in the early days of SWG, the idea and the game, was absolutely perfect in every way... until about 6 months into it, when the devs destroyed it.
You're right about that. Who knows what the hell they were thinking?

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   

I shed SWG before it gave me cancer. I don't want to get infected with that insanity ever again, especially with these new "ideas" coming into fruition.

Haha, thanks for the warning.
I was going to give it a try but I think I will stick to my single player RPG games.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by morpheusxxz

Someone said the tie fighter class was a joke, looked real but whatever, it doesn't really matter. The Star Wars universe has been perverted for profit by MMORPG's for a decade now, deforming and distorting the lore to suit their rules.

Yes the movies were for profit, but Lucas use to listen to his staff and actors back then for advice, since Phantom Menace he's been a solo god of insanity and does his closed minded egotistical directing. His film crew and the actors are what made the original series so good... he's grown too powerful since then...

"....he's more machine now than man, twisted and evil!"

ETA- from my article...

I needed some extra help, so I decided to visit the forums and get some feedback and maybe a few tips and tricks. I found what I needed and more, but I also found the community in there to be a tad on the bitter and angry side. After reading about 50 or so threads on the boards, I realized that I was angry as well, it's funny how the forums have a way of doing that to you.

Kind of reminds me of here. Those boards were the same style as here too, my signature use to be my avatar banner. Maybe why I like the ATS board format so much.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
For the best movie reviews in the history of movies reviews, seek no further than redlettermedia's reviews. He is by far, the best at breaking down Star Wars & Star Trek in the history of the internet...

www.youtube.com...

www.redlettermedia.com

Between his reviews and mine, you'll probably avoid Star Wars for life... not our intentions though. We're just ruining your perception of the series you've had all your lives.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

Originally posted by Konduit
Don't even bother, I have level 50 Jedi Sentinel and the game just turns into an incredibly stale grind at the end. The population balance is horrendous, if your a new player your going to get totally dominated because of the large gear gap your going to have compared to older players. You will have to spend weeks running the same 3 warzones just to catch up. There is a severe lack of endgame content and the whole PvP system is broken as hell, it's just another game where time invested > skill.

Um, you have to spend TWO weeks running the same 3 warzones "just" to catch up. As far as MMOs go, it's an extremely quick grind. The gear gap isn't bad at all...just a bunch of bad players complaining about it because they're bad and want something to blame it on.

You're right about the population balance, but there's not much they can do about that. People prefer the dark side.

The leveling grind isn't that bad, but you can't reach Battlemaster in 2 weeks unless you absolutely dedicate yourself to playing 24/7, I know because I did it. And they are releasing another tier in patch 1.2 which established players will be able to get first.

I've been playing since launch in December and I can't stand running the same warzones to nauseum for the 1500th time or standing in a totally outnumbered zerg in Ilum. Open world PvP only works with 3 factions, figured Mythic (which is a part of Bioware now) would have known that since they made Dark Age of Camelot. And there must be some really 'bad' players in a game based on tab targeting, random number generators, and classes that can get top damage by spamming 1 single ability over and over. It's so watered down man.

The only MMO I have hope for to bring back RvR/PvP and do it right is Guild Wars 2.

Guild Wars 2 Website
PvP Systems
Combat Systems
Beta Gameplay

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

i pretty much figured i'd hate the star wars mmorpg, thanks for reinforcing my beliefs.
i enjoyed kotor single player games but as soon as it goes online it becomes about the stupid ideas to make extra bucks.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I couldnt even play it you guys, turns out its not even out for the MAC.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
MMOs have become unimpressive over the years...

What happened to the freedom to do whatevz, ala Ultima Online?

They seem so static now.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Cheers downloading now

top topics

<<   2 >>

join