It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you deal with a serious sugar addiction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I get very low blood sugar and after a few days I can't hold out anymore. But when I eat sugar I eat alot. I can't just have a little. I'm an alcoholic with sugar. I'd like to stop but it seems impossible. What can I do? Has anyone else had this? Did you overcome it? If I eat even one meal without something sweet after and it can't just be fruit, it has to be honey at least - I feel like I'm dying. My sugar gets so low.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Hillarie

I have the same issue, after 3-4 days I must have chocolate or other candy - fruit doesn't help. I have even stolen it when I didn't have money. I am very ashamed of that fact, but its true

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hillarie
I get very low blood sugar and after a few days I can't hold out anymore. But when I eat sugar I eat alot. I can't just have a little. I'm an alcoholic with sugar. I'd like to stop but it seems impossible. What can I do? Has anyone else had this? Did you overcome it? If I eat even one meal without something sweet after and it can't just be fruit, it has to be honey at least - I feel like I'm dying. My sugar gets so low.

How long do you go without sugar to feel that way?
edit on 14-3-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Get checked for diabetes!

And for God's sake, stop drinking soda!
That stuff grabs hold of you and never wants to let go.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Yes, I have a terrible sugar addiction as well. I can't just have one piece of candy, I have one taste and I am like a fool with a bunch of crack, I cannot stop til it's all gone, and then I am riddled with remorse (and extra weight).

So I don't buy any sweet treats except for dark chocolate chips (semisweet). I eat those with nuts when I feel a need for sugar. The nuts add protein so I don't eat a whole lot. I also brew iced tea from Celestial brand fruit teas (no caffeine), and sweeten it with Truvia. It tastes almost like Kool-Aid, without the calories or harmful additives and junk.

Getting off of sugar is tough. I too have low blood sugar, but eating sugar only worsens it, and increases your risk of diabetes by wearing out your pancreas. When you eat a bunch of sugar, your pancreas floods your blood with insulin. Too much insulin flooding makes you insulin-resistant, the first step towards diabetes. You have to eat things that do not spike your blood sugar and not have anything available to eat that is sugary.

If you can make it through the first couple of days without a sugary treat, it makes it a lot easier. Tell yourself that you will only have a sugar treat like a candy bar or piece of cake or a few cookies once a week only. After a while of not eating sugar, when you do eat something sweet, it'll taste almost too sweet.

Sugar is implicated in many diseases, because it causes inflammation, and one of the first things somebody diagnosed with cancer is told is to stay away from sugar, because tumors love sugar. Stay away from sugar and don't feed the tumors!!

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron

Originally posted by Hillarie

How long do you go without sugar to feel that way?
edit on 14-3-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

If I don't eat anything, I won't get low blood sugar. But as soon as I eat, it's all over. I really would be better off if I could just stop eating.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

I don't drink soda.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I've got the same problem as you. It may actually be a form of diabetes because if you're like me no sugar = no energy and feeling really run-down, like you're over-worked.

Have you tried taking chromium or gymnema tablets? They stabilise your blood sugar levels so you don't get (as many) uncontrollable cravings. I found they've helped me a bit. I still have days where I can't resist any longer and have to gorge but found since taking the tablets it's been easier to resist the cravings.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
You need to try a juice diet

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by LordGoofus

I don't know about the OP, but I will try it.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

I agree with this advice as well.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Im sitting reading this while eating a nice slice of soya and linseed bread with a slather of chocolate philadelphia cheese ... and I know I shouldnt be eating it because I have diabetes and I love sugar in the form of starchy breads! I feel guilty as Im eating it because I know where my blood sugar is headed and it aint down to a nice stable level. But like others, I have a problem with sugar.

The best way to deal with sugar addiction, get diagnosed with diabetes. I was diagnosed a few weeks ago and Ive been recommended to try using diet and exercise to control it and these past weeks have been damned hard and theres been days where things have been a bit messed up but Im trying. My daughter who is a student nurse tells me stories about diabetics she sees in various wards when she's on placement and they are what I intend not to be which is someone who pushes ever greater dosages of insulin so that they can eat all the crap that they want. BTW she isnt breaking any laws as she doesnt mention names, illnesses or treatments, just that they share the same disease as me and that they dont deal with theirs in a sensible way.

So as another poster suggested, go get yourself tested. It could be something or its most likely nothing.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Hillarie

Eat fruit...

Use Splenda

Exercise...

Drink lots of water...

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
sounds like you should see a doctor.
eating sweats/chocolate isnt really normal, craving it either means youre a fat blob or are some kind of diabetic.

top topics

join