It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HD video of UFO Stalking Chilean Jets Over Santiago Air Base

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lowneck
UFOGlobe says

If the object is only 0.5 inches then it's traveling 12.5 mph.

multiply by 1000

A 500 inch long object would be travelling 12,500 mph. And so on.

So the Chilean astronomers' estimates were right after all.

Whoops you just made me notice an error in this post:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Instead of 160 to 239 FEET, it should be 160 to 239 INCHES. So it wouldn't have to be the size of a 747 to be traveling 6000mph.

But no, the Chilean astronomers claimed the object was 5 to 10 meters going 4000 to 6000 MPH. Not 12 meters going 12500 MPH.
edit on 16-3-2012 by UFOGlobe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Orkojoker
For example, let's assume for a while that this video IS just of a bug. How and why do you think this hoax has gotten this far?

It's probably not a hoax, but one huge misunderstanding after the other. It probably got this far because die-hard UFO enthusiasts would rather talk about other things like what planet it came from than actually get down to business and figure out what it is, and check facts not once but thrice. Add that to people appealing to authority, and not questioning the results of experts which could be wrong, and there you go, you got yourself a video of bugs that people think are UFOs.

Who is the perpetrator?

All of the gullible and not so thorough investigators in UFOlogy.

I would think after nine pages of droning polemic we could at least TOUCH on some of these significant questions for a page or two.

Nobody is really saying it's a hoax. So why would we talk about it being a hoax?

On the other hand, this is ATS, hardly a place for intelligent discussion.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Can someone, please, comment on the heat study that Gen. Bermudez talked about?

Would a bug have a similar heat signature as a F5 jet?

Link to quote that for some reason cannot make it work

As explained by Gen. Bermúdez in his lecture, “the object is very near the F5, and our study, the heat study” showed the similarity of “the F5 with the object, same for the shadow, a very interesting case.”

(Credit: CEFAA)
edit on 16-3-2012 by stiver because: Edited to fix links

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
There is some weirdness that happens around the jets in the series of frames starting at around 0:50 in the video. You can see it in the unmarked video, but the marked one doesn't continue long enough it only shows the frames with the UFO. It looks like it could possibly be a video problem or something (after images of the jets?), almost looks like something popping up out of the clouds though. I was scanning through the video to see if the thing goes in front or behind something in or around the background.

Probably be absent in the original video? Resembles an image artifact.
edit on 16-3-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

It's often good to consider the entire set of circumstances when a video like this comes to light, rather than just the video itself. As some other members have pointed out, while this may be some kind of a hoax, this is not your typical bug-flying-by-the-camera-YouTube-video scenario for a few reasons.

We have at least two people of some significance involved who have put their reputations out there to be shredded should this turn out to be nothing interesting. I listened to a number of interviews with Leslie Kean around the time her book was released, and it's clear that she treads extremely carefully when dealing with this subject. Her writing is thoughtful and intelligent, and she draws a clear line between what we know and what we don't know. She does not strike me as one to jump to hasty conclusions. She is a serious journalist who has written a really credible top-notch book on UFOs fairly recently and is probably not going to just throw that success in the toilet by associating herself with something flaky. She has had a fairly long association, since at least 2007, with General Ricardo Bermudez - the other person in this story who has something to lose.

Here's a brief blurb about Bermudez:

Chilean Air Force General (Ret.) Ricardo Bermúdez is the Director of the Committee of Studies of Anomalous Aerial Phenomenon (CEFAA), the Chilean government’s official organization for the study of unknown aerial phenomena. General Bermúdez has also been the Director of the Technical School of Aeronautics, the School of Engineers, and the sub-Director of Chile’s Air Force Academy. At CEFAA, he leads a group of scientists at the doctorate level, who form the committee along with aviation experts from the General Directorate of Civil Aeronautics. General Bermúdez is a former fighter pilot, served as an air attaché in London, and commanded the Third Air Brigade in southern Chile.

Not exactly a lightweight. And probably not the kind of guy who wants to cap off a career such as this by attempting to hoax the world with a video of some bugs.

Everyone screaming "bugs!", please put your glasses on and read this post very carefully. I think its one of the best here so far.
edit on 16-3-2012 by Urantia1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by stiver
Can someone, please, comment on the heat study that Gen. Bermudez talked about?

Would a bug have a similar heat signature as a F5 jet?

Link

As explained by Gen. Bermúdez in his lecture, “the object is very near the F5, and our study, the heat study” showed the similarity of “the F5 with the object, same for the shadow, a very interesting case.”

edit on 16-3-2012 by stiver because: (no reason given)

The OP photo:

For being able to properly study the heat signature, the camera used would have to be an IR one....

Boeing 737 jet departing from Salt Lake City, UT airport

There's no way simply by looking at a JPEG (and moreover at frames from a video) and playing around with curves and colors to make any "heat study". What we get here are only artificial artifacts. Plus, if these are alleged real IR colors, then the jets are in the "cold zone"...

Thinking this way, everybody can do a "heat study":

Here, the planes have the same "heat signature" as the one of the mountains...

edit on 16-3-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by UFOGlobe

More insect picture blurfos please!

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by stiver

One of my first few posts on this topic was about that, and it made me think this was all a hoax.

I agree with elevenaugust, it looks like they took normal images from a normal camera and adjusted the colors and settings to make a fake infrared / heat signature image.

You can't get infrared images from a normal camera. So something fishy is going on there.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
at what point will some of you begin to believe? IMO, no video or photo "proof" will ever suffice for many of you. Do you have to see it with your own eyes? yes, many are hoaxes, but some are not. It's like the God thing, you either believe without seeing (ie, faith) or you don't.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Thanks, guys. Hmm, seems there is more politics than UFOs in this case. Bugs!

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Did they actually say it was an IR examination of the shot?

Or did they just filter the picture to make it easier to see the 'object'?

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Reply to post by Shino

Ha, governments agency.....lol. And after viewing that trash this was their conclusion?

Wow, sad. But, it does kinda explain why that country is such a mess. I mean, if they are ignorant enough to waste time and money on videos like this AND come to the conclusion they did.....ah.....er..... here's your sign.

You guys do understand that stuff like this is nothing more than the noise needed to hide the real truth, right? The fact that the audience interested in Ufos and aliens is unusually ignorant means if we continue to fall into traps like this we are playing into the hands of those that would hide the truth from us (and yes, when i say we ignorant i also mean we are useful idiots....at least judging by the information on them from the Internet......seriously just read the thread titles alone on this page....embassing example of the point I just made).

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Reply to post by 0scree0

Video proof will more than suffice as long as it is backed up with plenty of other evidence. Use your head for crying out loud.

Need I point out the Haiti video? Something that could have been dismissed by a half brained monkey with no video experience. But it went on for pages and pages. Folks even went so far as to compare trees....lol. Laughable, because there was no ancillary evidence to even bother with the video to begin with.

Yeah, no video will convince us. But show us a clear video with multiple angles and hundreds of other points of evidence and I'm sold...i mean I see these idiotic YouTube videos posted here daily over major metro areas to boot.....get what I'm saying?

This communitys collective ignorance is why we have the signal to noise ratio that we do right now....

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Here we are, nine pages in, and still the context in which this video has come to light is still being ignored in favor of endless discussion about whether or not this is a bug. Isn't anyone at all interested in talking about anything else? For example, let's assume for a while that this video IS just of a bug. How and why do you think this hoax has gotten this far? Who is the perpetrator? The author of the article? The air force general who presented her with the footage and the information? The government agency who employs the general? The people who analyzed the video and came to these conclusions? Do we suspect that they are all in on this together, or is one party playing the rest for fools? What possible motivation could there be for such a hoax considering the blow to the reputations of those involved that would surely come to pass? Should we chalk this all up to lies, or are all of these people just totally incompetent and lacking in judgement?

I would think after nine pages of droning polemic we could at least TOUCH on some of these significant questions for a page or two. On the other hand, this is ATS, hardly a place for intelligent discussion. Do what you will.
edit on 16-3-2012 by Orkojoker because: (no reason given)

feel free to discuss what it is, if you dont think it is a bug.....

i dont think it is a hoax nor does anyone else it seems, i think it is lazy misidentification as many others believe. i would bet nobody anywhere in the world goes to the length of analyzing this stuff like ATS members do. but hey, i could be wrong on all counts....but i sure do see a lot of work being done by certain members, over and over, trying to figure out what things are.

feel free to share your analysis.

and to your comment on another post about no intelligent conversation on ATS.....i believe that is what one calls a cheap shot and well wildly incorrect.....im curious to you what intelligent conversation is?

is it "cool a UFO" "cool finally the smoking gun!" "cool, some strangers said this and that, therefore i blindly believe w/out doing any research myself"

edit on March 16th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Here we are, nine pages in, and still the context in which this video has come to light is still being ignored in favor of endless discussion about whether or not this is a bug. Isn't anyone at all interested in talking about anything else? For example, let's assume for a while that this video IS just of a bug. How and why do you think this hoax has gotten this far? Who is the perpetrator? The author of the article? The air force general who presented her with the footage and the information? The government agency who employs the general? The people who analyzed the video and came to these conclusions? Do we suspect that they are all in on this together, or is one party playing the rest for fools? What possible motivation could there be for such a hoax considering the blow to the reputations of those involved that would surely come to pass? Should we chalk this all up to lies, or are all of these people just totally incompetent and lacking in judgement?

I would think after nine pages of droning polemic we could at least TOUCH on some of these significant questions for a page or two. On the other hand, this is ATS, hardly a place for intelligent discussion. Do what you will.
edit on 16-3-2012 by Orkojoker because: (no reason given)

feel free to discuss what it is, if you dont think it is a bug.....

i dont think it is a hoax nor does anyone else it seems, i think it is lazy misidentification as many others believe. i would bet nobody anywhere in the world goes to the length of analyzing this stuff like ATS members do. but hey, i could be wrong on all counts....but i sure do see a lot of work being done by certain members, over and over, trying to figure out what things are.

feel free to share your analysis.

and to your comment on another post about no intelligent conversation on ATS.....i believe that is what one calls a cheap shot and well wildly incorrect.....im curious to you what intelligent conversation is?

is it "cool a UFO" "cool finally the smoking gun!" "cool, some strangers said this and that, therefore i blindly believe w/out doing any research myself"

So you say its a bug and I blindly believe that??

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I don't know what is shown in the video, Greeneyedleo. I'm not qualified to make a valid interpretation. But if there are indeed six other videos that have been analyzed by people who are paid to do such things, I tend to side with the professionals backed by people of established credibility, impressive career standing and notable reputation, rather than random semi-illiterates slapping together back-of-the-cocktail-napkin analyses based on a fraction of the evidence while sitting at their computer at home. Maybe I'm just gullible.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Without more data from the source any conclusion is premature.

Appropriate questions have been asked to the author of the source news article.

Where are the 7 quoted videos?
    Where was each taken?
    When was each taken?
    What thermal analysis was done?
    Is there a radar trace?

The story will stand or fall on the follow up information.

Response so far is:

"Will write more tomorrow - the CEFAA has all the videos and I'm sure they will make them available, plus other material. One step at a time.

There is no radar of this event. But there is a lot more data, which I will try my best to bring forward."

Still a waiting game.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Idonthaveabeard

Good Lord! I said my opinion is that it BEHAVES and LOOKS like a bug.

I never once said I was the final authority and that my opinion is the final truth.

but since my opinion does not fall into "OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG ITS A UFO that cant be identified" im dismissed as a shill, disinfo agent and any other childish name that can be flinged at me (and others).

but hey if the name calling and the "DEBUNKERS SUCK" type comments is considered intelligent conversation, then maybe i need to hang out over on the Wall Street Journal site....

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

reply to post by greeneyedleo

I don't know what is shown in the video, Greeneyedleo. I'm not qualified to make a valid interpretation. But if there are indeed six other videos that have been analyzed by people who are paid to do such things, I tend to side with the professionals backed by people of established credibility, impressive career standing and notable reputation, rather than random semi-illiterates slapping together back-of-the-cocktail-napkin analyses based on a fraction of the evidence while sitting at their computer at home. Maybe I'm just gullible.

i did some googling on "said people of established credibility, impressive career standing and notable reputation" and found little to nothing. im not even sure if the organization that everyone is putting so much credit into is even a government agency.....im not even sure how much the chilian govt is actually behind any of this. i did a google search of the "general" and his name is only attacked to "ufo sites".....

so i wouldnt put all my eggs in the basket of what is being alledged unless some evidence can back up those huge claims.

i put more faith in the many of the members HERE who continually demonstrate their passion and knowledge and expertise then some article that has "alledged claims that so and so of notability said this and that"....

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

i did some googling on "said people of established credibility, impressive career standing and notable reputation" and found little to nothing.

Really? I found this in about ten seconds using Google:

Chilean Air Force General (Ret.) Ricardo Bermúdez is the Director of the Committee of Studies of Anomalous Aerial Phenomenon (CEFAA), the Chilean government’s official organization for the study of unknown aerial phenomena. General Bermúdez has also been the Director of the Technical School of Aeronautics, the School of Engineers, and the sub-Director of Chile’s Air Force Academy. At CEFAA, he leads a group of scientists at the doctorate level, who form the committee along with aviation experts from the General Directorate of Civil Aeronautics. General Bermúdez is a former fighter pilot, served as an air attaché in London, and commanded the Third Air Brigade in southern Chile.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join