It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The U.N. I mean U.S. 2012 elections.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Have been hearing this all day but did not believe it at first.

The NAACP will come before the U.N. counsel on human rights to weigh in on state voter Id laws. I am lacking for understanding why we would need UN involvement in this.

www.myfoxphilly.com...

This will give a list of current members on the counsel. Its list contains some of the true champions of human rights. ( China, and Saudi Arabi being just two. )

www2.ohchr.org...

So, do you feel that the U.N. has any place in the 2012 Elections. They do not have any legally binding hold on the US but is this not something that should have been handled in country? I thought we still had a court system to determine things such as this.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I don't believe the UN has any business telling the US how to conduct elections, but they do go into other countries to observe and ensure they are "democratic" elections.

If someone has a grievance against the US they can take it to the UN and expect action. I doubt they will do anything, but the UN has set the precedent.
edit on 14-3-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

As you note, the UN does get into plenty of other nations and their internal matters where it concerns elections. All they needed was a lack of strong leadership and nationalism here to carry it into our nation. They have both, and so they might just come and get involved.

I'm far more upset with Americans...ANY Americans...who would go whining to an International Body that any American should understand has absolutely no authority under United States Law to do anything but offer an opinion. It's that whole expectation that enough of this will change that basic reality that is so infuriating. It's like 15 or 16 year olds having a dispute and one of them at that age, running off to tell "mommy" and get the other "in trouble".

It's impossible for some to think it's not about race on the whole Voter ID issue, but on the running to the UN business? Color or cause has nothing to do with it. It could be Ron Paul himself, running to the UN to complain about how he's been all but buried in this election by his own party....and I'd look down hard on him too. Of course, he never would.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Well said!

I, as well, think we could solve this issue here within the US borders. Will the people and representatives make the changes? I doubt it.

But where do we turn when we feel that the elections are a fraud and can't get any action from government or the people themselves? I can sympathize with the NAACP, but I just wish we were able to get our own house in order as Americans.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

I'm in the same place with my thinking. I'm watching things happen out of the White House from Fast and Furious to the NDAA and sanctioned killing of American Citizens without arrest or trial to this....The Justice department deciding to fight Texas on a law many other states have had for awhile now or also recently brought into place. (Voter ID requirements) Why not the others?

Congress is the body our system is supposed to turn to. It's so ironic that I chose this semester for American History and that low level look at the nuts and bolts of how things are supposed to work...and are absolutely no where close to working right now. When Congress fails and the courts don't want to hear about it (Literally)..where and how does change come, indeed?

I'm sure not finding much for answers, either. At least it isn't just me.

edit on 14-3-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
So, I take this as a threat. If obama doesn't get re-elected then, what? The un comes marching in to make sure he does?

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chance321
So, I take this as a threat. If obama doesn't get re-elected then, what? The un comes marching in to make sure he does?

Intresting thought. I find it amazing that this issue could not be brought into courts and settled.Is this just a stunt for attention are could this be the opening to bring Obama in as the next UN general secretary.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Given the allegations of voter harassment, the charges of fraud and irregularity at the polls, and now the harsher ID laws for voting (which I do NOT agree with), I think it's only "tit for tat" that the US is in trouble with other nations over election policies.

WE are part of the UN watchdogs at voting in Afghanistan, Iran, and many other countries. So we have no right to say "oh, your elections are fraudulent if you run them this way, but WE can run our elections like that and it's okay. Because we're big and powerful."

Nope. We need to clean up this mess that the Founding Fathers left for us. Of course, their problem was that they didn't trust the common man to be able to make good decisions, which is why we're stuck with the Electoral college. Hopefully that system (and the inept caucus system) will be coming down for good within the next two election cycles. I think Ron Paul is proving a very good case for its being not very useful and not very fair.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Given the allegations of voter harassment, the charges of fraud and irregularity at the polls

You would be talking about the 08 obama elections where the new pink panthers were outside the polling places do you? Unless I'm miss reading your post, all this points towards a need for photo ID's to prevent voter fraud and illegals voting, ect.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Everyone is entitled to there opinion and I respectfully disagree with you on Id. for voting. Above and beyond the federal elections, there is a requirement that you live in the district of the buisness that you are voting on. I would not want people voting in a Tenn. election that live in Georgia. Id is not that hard to obtain in the U.S. As a matter of fact its kinda hard to function today without one.

As for our election system, yes there needs to be some improvements made there. I would love to see a popular vote and two are three more parties, but thats my opinion.

I understand where you are coming from with us not being above the over site that we demand for other peoples elections, but this was a pure publicity stunt. And I bet they find a more sever backlash froms this then what they expected. And if you read the members of the UN counsel on human rights; This is the equivalent of asking a big banker if he thinks the IRS is crooked.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
There really should only be 2 criterion to vote: US citizen, and age 18. No other regulations or reasons to bar unless underage, and not a legal citizen. But everyone knows some try and make it more complicated than this...but since it is an indirect election anyway? Why get into a tizzy? Even if popular vote out numbers Electoral, the Electoral wins...it has happened 3 times in history already.

There is word that if it happens again the Electoral college is going to be utterly scrapped, there's already change occurring to transform the current system that may replace the Electoral College for the 2016 election.

I would have to think; a lot of fraud would have to be going on if an outside entity such as the UN; has to step in and observe the process. Honestly, this does not offend or bother me at all; in any way shape or form...I say good.

We don't have a hell of a choice; in this merry go round called politics; except at the local level...US politics have become a career; these career politicians are one big clique, that is one hand washing the other, it's about insider trading and making profits off of hardworking citizens backs...to pad each others pockets, and take bribes from corporate interests; whom are an ENTITY not a person!

So I'm going to sit back with a bag of peanuts and enjoy the circus...perhaps when the majority realize they have no say in these matters called presidential elections; I'll rejoin the fray...if I live long enough to see that.

top topics

join