It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What held us back, technologically, for so long??

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buddha1098
reply to post by spaceg0at

Ancient egyptians likely had rudimentary forms of electricity.

And what do we base this claim off of?

As for advancement in Tech, I would have to say War helps to advance technology, no matter how bad it is people are always looking for better ways to kill each other and with that new technology gets invented.

Durning WW1 tanks came into concept. There were times when one side would have tanks and the other side would still be using cavarly from the 19th century and charging the tanks only to be cut to pieces.

War is a terrible thing but it has helped to advance our civilization. Verner Von Braun's V2 rockets from WW2 were a early form of the rockets that would eventually be sent into space.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

So that makes him American? By that logic Werner von Braun is American as well.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by caf1550

The Baghdad battery, Heiroplyphs depicting arc lamps, and the fact that there is no evidence for the burning of torches in the great pyramid.

Love the Werner Von Braun Syncronicity too.. =)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

reply to post by caf1550

The Baghdad battery, Heiroplyphs depicting arc lamps, and the fact that there is no evidence for the burning of torches in the great pyramid.

Love the Werner Von Braun Syncronicity too.. =)

Baghdad battery proves nothing...a consequential effect...."IF" they new about electrical current...it was to plate jewelry...it does not produce enough voltage to fire a light bulb...we know this as a simple fact....the voltage is minor at best.

The "light bulb" is a representation of a flower dispersing pollen...this is widely known and widely accepted....this is also not a secret or worthy of "omg it's a conspiracy!"

There were no torches in the pyramid because there are no hieroglyphs in there...no one was working inscribing after it was built...the tunnels were created as the thing "went up"...what was done inside was done before the "lid" was put on...they worked to open sky daylight before it was topped out...no need for torches...

BUT...they could have also used olive oil lamps which do not leave residue like pitch based torches do....

there is a lot of reasons to dismiss the idea of "advanced" technology....mainly...there is no proof....only hypothetical ideas...with no foundation.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Damrod

I didn't say they did.. I said it was likely.

They worked in the open air on the descending passage and the subterranean chamber? Underneath the bedrock? I don't think so.

You can take a skeptical point of view if you choose, but if they had the technology to build the greatest structure ever built, and they had depictions of what looks like Arc lights, and they understood electricity enough to electroplate objects, it seems logical and likely to me they had rudimentary forms of electricity.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
reply to post by TLomon

Except transistors where invented in 1907 using tube technology (triodes), which predates your theory by a few decades. Transistors themselves were also patented in 1925, also predating your theory.

You didn't post a source, and this is wrong.
Read here:
HOW COULD AT&T HAVE CREATED THE TRANSISTOR SO QUICKLY IN 1947 WITHOUT THE INPUT OF ALIEN TECHNOLOGY?
Everything electrical has transistors in it. Research Philco, and Motorola, and look for a small electrical company in NYC named ET. Don't laugh, the owners thought to capitalize on the name when the Government disclosed. (Big Laugh There!)

The first example of semiconduction was the cats whisker detector, a diode invented some time during after 1885 and was being used in crystal radios about 1906. It was probably the first semiconducting component.

In 1886, Westinghouse manufactured and sold "metal rectifiers" which were used to rectify AC electricity to DC electricity. These were essentially high power diodes.

In 1904, John Ambrose Fleming created a Diode in the form of a thermionic valve.

In 1907, Le De Forest created a three terminal thermionic valve. Internally, this works as two diodes back-to-back. A small voltage on a grid between the two main electrodes allows a larger voltage across the main terminals to be controlled and this is the basis for electrical amplifiers and switches.

The first patent for a solid-state field-effect transistor goes to Julius Edgar Lillenfield in 1925 (a mere 23 years before Bell Labs claimed to have invented it).

The next patent was in 1934 by Dr William Heil (a similar device to Lillenfields and 14 years before the Bell Labs team).

In 1948 the Bell Labs team patented the transistor, which was essentially the same device described in the Lillenfields original patent. The team leader, Shackley had noted that cats whisker diodes were more powerful at detecting radio signals than valves and so he began by analyzing the junction of the whisker and the crystal. In this he made a lower voltage version of the Westinghouse solid state diode. Since this appeared more sensitive than valve diodes, he reasoned that a three terminal solid-state 'triode' would be a better switch and amplifier, and he was right. As part of the patent, the team described how the new component functioned from both a Physics stand-point and also using Maxwells equations. The device was named the "Transistor" after John R Pierce won a Bell Labs company internal ballot for the name.

Only someone ignorant of the science, engineering or history would have suggested something like it being "back-engineered from the Roswell craft".

edit on 15/3/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
One poster asked if there would ever be an end to technology advancements? Well there are two obvious answers to this, the only way it will stop is if we destroy ourselves. If we destroy ourselves and our technology then the second answer is a moot point.

We need technology to never stop! Technology is what will save us in the long term, ultimately transporting our descendants to a new Star system when this one dies.

I believe that Nostradamus predicted this, although I could be wrong.
edit on 15-3-2012 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

If you look at a complete American history, you'll see their names in it, as well as Einsteins.

... and if it was invented elsewhere (like the transistor or heavier than air flight) and no American loudly shouted out that they'd invented it, it often didn't happen.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

If you look at a complete American history, you'll see their names in it, as well as Einsteins.

... and if it was invented elsewhere (like the transistor or heavier than air flight) and no American loudly shouted out that they'd invented it, it often didn't happen.

Actually Nikola Tesla perfected his main ideas whilst still based in Belgrade,ie wireless transmition of electricity,and by extension the Tesla coil,his "immigration" to the US was virtually forced upon him unfortunately,but hey,as you say if it wasn't invented in America what American has a clue about it right?

One prime example is the all flying tailplane which enabled the Bell X1 to remain controlable whilst flying through the sound barrier ,this was a British invention,invented by one Dennis Bancroft of the Miles Aircraft company and installed on his Miles M1 experimental supersonic aircraft,an aircraft that was ready to fly in 1946 and unlike the X1 it would have taken off without the need fror transportation to altitude by a heavy bomber,however,the British Government were "leaned on" by those allies of ours in Washington to scrap the M1 project and hand them the research documentation.
There is also very strong evidence that the Wright brothers were not the first to achieve manned heavier than air flight,(they cheated anyway by using a catapult to get airborne) that honour belonging to a Scot,maybe that is worthy of a thread all of it's own though.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
I will not even attempt to figure out why you chose to focus only on a couple of random questions of mine, instead of addressing my answer to the thread title:

Even if I had done that, is that a crime?

He may have been talking about it, but he wasn't talking about it with someone, while they were on the opposite side of the planet.

Exactly my point. It was known about back then, but economic greed prevented it from being developed. We cannot comprehend how rapid technological advancement might be, if it were not for the need for economic monopolisation.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Gold and the aquisition of gold.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I am currently a student at a California State University. I can answer this question.

The reason why we did not take advantage of the available technology at hand, at the time was because of necessity.

Human development is oriented around the idea of making everything easier. Whether it was picking berries, pounding red hot bronze, or arranging more memory in processors.

For the longest time our civilization was not capable of manipulating their environments to its full extent. It was not until the latest revolutionary advances like the cotton gin and telegraph that really sparked just what we were capable of.

Keep this in mind, at the turn of the bronze age, blacksmiths were considered descendants of the gods. They were capable of manufacturing or conjuring the work of the Gods.

Religion was not a hindrance, rather a tool used to appease the unexplained.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
in response to minkmouse thought that we've come far in the last few decades even.. i feel quite the opposite there.
i feel we're kind of stagnant right now.
yeah we have new tech and science breakthroughs, but the last few decades have had nothing near as groundbreaking like the ones prior, and especially like the last millenia had. (even broken down into smaller increments)
from horse and buggy to race cars, airplanes and moon travel..
from slow computers and black and white TV's.. to .. faster computers and lcd TV's?

see where i'm going?

we're having eureka moments on stuff that's already in place (like someone mentioned earlier).. but we're not keeping up the advancements near as fast as we once were (in quality, not quantity i mean.. and maybe that's the problem)
take someone from 1900, and put them into 1940.. probably be quite wowed about how much the world changed.
now take someone from 1970 to now.. impressed i'm sure, but not near the worlds changed feeling the other fellow had i think.
edit on 15-3-2012 by TheDude2 because: wrong name

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
The only reason that people blame 'religion' is because they are too afraid to blame themselves for their mistakes and learn from them.

And that's exactly why technology has been so absent. People are quick to judge but slow to learn.

Religion is still strong today, yet look where we are. I guess people forgot that North Korea isn't exactly as advanced as we are and they don't believe in the supernatural.

Even science tends to hold itself back. If all that's being supported is conventional scientific theories then i don't expect that community to break any barriers if all they do is reject unorthodox ideas.
edit on 15-3-2012 by GambitVII because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
It's funny how most people posting here believe tptb history books. This is ATS, and I for one deny ignorance. The ancient people who built pyramids all over the world and other ancient mouments like stonehenge I believe were quite advanced.
Technology is so surpressed today because, the masses would become supicious if the governments let it all out at once. Most of the stuff we have today probably comes from roswell and the the pyramids and other ancient tech.
I read history books written by conquerors too, but I also recognized tptb are not giving us the whole truth about our human world history. Therefore I can't fully accept the European dipiction of history as a full truth.

Just like the bible has been rewritten it's a great chance history books have too.
edit on 15-3-2012 by Teeky because: word

edit on 15-3-2012 by Teeky because: wordn

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Are you sure it was Europe that advanced the world technologically?

The phone, the PC, the micro-chip...

The television...

The car...

I'm pretty sure these were all American inventions....

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teeky
It's funny how most people posting here believe tptb history books. This is ATS, and I for one deny ignorance. The ancient people who built pyramids all over the world and other ancient mouments like stonehenge I believe were quite advanced.
Technology is so surpressed today because, the masses would become supicious if the governments let it all out at once. Most of the stuff we have today probably comes from roswell and the the pyramids and other ancient tech.
I read history books written by conquerors too, but I also recognized tptb are not giving us the whole truth about our human world history. Therefore I can't fully accept the European dipiction of history as a full truth.

Just like the bible has been rewritten it's a great chance history books have too.
edit on 15-3-2012 by Teeky because: word

edit on 15-3-2012 by Teeky because: wordn

Then it becomes obvious that their advanced societies were "reset" somehow.

What reset their advances? What held us back?

... and there is little evidence that history and especially the Bible (for which we have historical sources) has been significantly rewritten. There are errors, omissions and additions, but they are mostly minor.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by minkmouse

I like your last sentence. Also made me realize that even though we came down from the trees millions of years ago, we still have basic aninalistic tendencies. - instincts. Anything we observe in other mammals we can observe in ourselves.

edit on 15-3-2012 by Whiskeychaser because: lost the text before publishing original

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by nake13

Originally posted by chr0naut

Actually Nikola Tesla perfected his main ideas whilst still based in Belgrade,ie wireless transmition of electricity,and by extension the Tesla coil,his "immigration" to the US was virtually forced upon him unfortunately,but hey,as you say if it wasn't invented in America what American has a clue about it right?

One prime example is the all flying tailplane which enabled the Bell X1 to remain controlable whilst flying through the sound barrier ,this was a British invention,invented by one Dennis Bancroft of the Miles Aircraft company and installed on his Miles M1 experimental supersonic aircraft,an aircraft that was ready to fly in 1946 and unlike the X1 it would have taken off without the need fror transportation to altitude by a heavy bomber,however,the British Government were "leaned on" by those allies of ours in Washington to scrap the M1 project and hand them the research documentation.
There is also very strong evidence that the Wright brothers were not the first to achieve manned heavier than air flight,(they cheated anyway by using a catapult to get airborne) that honour belonging to a Scot,maybe that is worthy of a thread all of it's own though.

Actually, not a Scot, but a Yorkshireman Wikipedia link

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I can answer this with one word:

Religion

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join