It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What held us back, technologically, for so long??

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

Originally posted by CaptChaos
Advances have been actively held back and suppressed for almost a hundred years. We are being actively suppressed NOW.

I defy anyone to think of something truly new that has been invented since WW2. Even ONE thing, that is not just a refinement of existing tech.

Here's a few:

The science of genetics and recombinant DNA.
Spintronics,
Graphene, Fullerines and other allotropes of Carbon.
Magnetic monopoles,
Superconductivity, and its associated discoveries.
String theory, M theory and Brane theories,
Theoretical dark energy,
Hawking Radiation,
Memory Alloys,
Metamaterials and negative refractive index,
Space Travel,
Kevlar,
Graphite Polymers,
Lasers and Masers,
Nanotechnology,
Neuro-chemistry,

... as you imagine, I could easily go on for ages.

I'll give you lasers, maybe, though it is really just a refinement of the flashlight. The rest are either nonsense, or mere advances in chemistry, still nothing NEW.

I'm talking something NEW, like the steam engine, electric motor, airplane, radio.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Sex and money. That is what gets in the way of global advancement every time. Can't make the world a better place today, I have to make money. The world and its advancements can wait, beacuse me and my mate have to get busy. That is what makes the world and destroys the world at the same time, depending on how you use them.

The rest is that everybody has different opinions on what "advanced" means. What exactly are you anticipating in the future, that someone else will roll out for you, that you will consider an advanced technology? Water powered cars, for example? See, money got in the way to get rid of that.

It's not so long actually. Civilizations come and go. You have been taught that we started out with flintrock and picking bugs off each other millions of years ago, and today we are all so wonderfully advanced. What took so long? Time is relative, I believe. It doesn't matter where "we" used to be millions of years ago. What you have is you, now, here. But I can imagine it feels weird to be born several decades ago with nothing and no capacity to understand much, to grow to understanding so much stuff so now you compare yourself to the gods. You know a lot because you have been told that you know a lot. This long time question is an illusion of perception.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

War, politics (the rise and fall of empires), religion, disease, prejudice against people who are different, geological separation and likely a number of other factors.

When the Roman Empire fell so did the seeds of science that the Greeks and Romans had planted in the ancient world, later they were unearthed and, soon after Galileo, we began to start back on the right track.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Advances have been actively held back and suppressed for almost a hundred years. We are being actively suppressed NOW.

I defy anyone to think of something truly new that has been invented since WW2. Even ONE thing, that is not just a refinement of existing tech.

Here's a few:

The science of genetics and recombinant DNA.
Spintronics,
Graphene, Fullerines and other allotropes of Carbon.
Magnetic monopoles,
Superconductivity, and its associated discoveries.
String theory, M theory and Brane theories,
Theoretical dark energy,
Hawking Radiation,
Memory Alloys,
Metamaterials and negative refractive index,
Space Travel,
Kevlar,
Graphite Polymers,
Lasers and Masers,
Nanotechnology,
Neuro-chemistry,

... as you imagine, I could easily go on for ages.

I'll give you lasers, maybe, though it is really just a refinement of the flashlight. The rest are either nonsense, or mere advances in chemistry, still nothing NEW.

I'm talking something NEW, like the steam engine, electric motor, airplane, radio.

I assure you, there's nothing that you can bolt onto a flashlight, or modify on a flashlight that will give you a laser.

Except where I have mentioned something being theoretical, all these listed are real physical things and are more than chemistry.

But I'll dumb it down for you a bit: the SmartPhone. How many World War 2 people walked around with a wirelessly communicating (data and voice), Internet enabled, handheld, computational device with GPS, motion sensors, and with a full color, high definition Organic LED, touch sensitive display and also able to play our favourite Tunes in high fidelity from compressed digital files? Not to mention the switched network required to make it effective.

There would be over 1,000 technologies in such a 'phone which did not exist, even embryonically, during the second world war.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Today we have the iPhones and computers that they fantasized about in the 50's & 60's.

Actually they had videophones back in the 60s. Even the Internet's roots can be traced to Arpanet in 1969. The main difference between today's technology and the technology of the 60s is the fact today's is much faster and more complex and the masses of people have access to it, but when it comes down to it, we're still essentially using 1960s technology.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I once read in a history of science book that one thing that held up true advances in science was a blind reliance on some of Aristotle's work. It was taken for granted that he was such a smart fella but apparently his rep is over blown. One thing was that he thought that the sex of an infant was determined by which way the wind was blowing at birth.

Another was taking his theory on gravity for granted. What I read was that taking his theory axiomatically kept scientific advances hindered for over a thousand years.

Thats what I read anyway.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
First we must realize we are not as advanced as we believe ourselves to be, history would seem to point at man having been advanced before only to lose it's knowledge to the depths of the ages after catastrophe man made or natural.

The defining element for any human technological surge has been the establishment of institutionalized education. It's why the ancient cultures of the Mediterranean and middle east were able to advance so far so rapidly. During the dark ages there was a massive lack of this, imagine what a mind such as Da Vinci could have accomplished with a modern education.

When you have religious tyranny and slavery and serfdom educating the masses is never a priority, it is only in very recent time that we have known true schools and large numbers of people able to seek and receive a good education.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

War, politics (the rise and fall of empires), religion, disease, prejudice against people who are different, geological separation and likely a number of other factors.

When the Roman Empire fell so did the seeds of science that the Greeks and Romans had planted in the ancient world, later they were unearthed and, soon after Galileo, we began to start back on the right track.

I agree all of these things were prerequisites, but still feel that even together, they don't have the power to be the impetus behind the change.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Technology snowballs. Advancements used to be far between, but now a computer chip is obsolete in a few years time. The better technology is, the easier it is to advance. I would argue that we are going pretty damn fast, and every year we get faster.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
The invention of the transistor was a big step towards getting back on track technologically speaking.

The dark ages certainly blew things back in progress..yes, we should have been exploring the stars by now had it not been for that..but meh, it happened, lets just make sure it never happens again.

I also would say religion. Whenever you threaten thinkers with death should they voice their observations, your definitely going to slow things down. Luckily western society has more or less marginalized the Luddites and fools.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

i was going to say aren't they the one and the same?
i was hoping you'd say i won. but when you think about it, the enlightenment is rather depressing.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut However, somewhere around one hundred years ago, the line changed direction and began shooting increasingly towards being parallel with the Y axis...

There was, of course, a group of events near the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th that changed physics, engineering, and material science in a major way. From GR, SR, and quantum theory, a lot of technology got a big boot in the butt and away we went. A few world wars didn't hurt either, a lot of tech you have today is the byproduct of armed conflict.

(tongue in cheek mode on, sort of)
Not to mention, there was a second revolution in physics in the late 30s, early 40s that would have caused significant disruption, so They® hid it and dole out bits and pieces as people are ready to cope. I mean, what would you do with FTL drives, "antigravity" and free energy? Can you imagine the problems it would cause? All this junk about UFO technology is just cover up for that project series - the very first "flying saucer" out near Roswell was a Los Alamos drive design gone badly wrong. They covered it up by using a "UFO" story and that's worked so well they used it ever since.

link   

Originally posted by LaughingatHumanity
First we must realize we are not as advanced as we believe ourselves to be, history would seem to point at man having been advanced before only to lose it's knowledge to the depths of the ages after catastrophe man made or natural.

The defining element for any human technological surge has been the establishment of institutionalized education. It's why the ancient cultures of the Mediterranean and middle east were able to advance so far so rapidly. During the dark ages there was a massive lack of this, imagine what a mind such as Da Vinci could have accomplished with a modern education.

When you have religious tyranny and slavery and serfdom educating the masses is never a priority, it is only in very recent time that we have known true schools and large numbers of people able to seek and receive a good education.

I absolutely agree with this!

Education

In previous times education was not a mandate but an option (usually for the wealthy). This and one other thing combined to cause the great change.

That thing:

Science Fiction

Once we were thinking about what strange sort of gadgets we might like to have, it allowed us to see the advantage of working to actually create them.

Please discuss this and see if there is a hole in my logic here.

link   

Originally posted by LaughingatHumanity

Can you flush this out a little more please, I'm interested. I can see theory and speculation pointing at an idea that we were once Advanced and we lost it but I'm unaware of a historical reference. I appreciate you said "seems to" and at the end of the day, maybe you meant theory and speculation. If in fact it's a history thing, I'd like more info

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
If you put theories aside for a second and look at the facts. Firstly religious backing is unfounded, its just some Hollywood stereotype and some conspiracy bashing that is unfounded. Its just some stupid notion that scientists had to gather secretly to research. Hell, thousands of years before Christ we (mankind) were studying stars the Egyptians were big on numbers and developed scientific ways of preserving corpses. Islamic alchemists and Chinese chemists were concocting all sorts. There is no real evidence to suggest that Church hindered scientific discovery.

Within the last hundred of years, scientific collaboration has been the main factor of our advancing knowledge. Before that scientists couldn't really share ideas out of their own circles and as with science goes, it takes an outside person to figure out what to do with something. A big example was Chinese scientific discovery, it sort of broke down, they made major discoveries with gunpowder, paper making, printing and the compass. We the western world far surpassed them for one reason only. The Chinese didn't make glasses for seeing. Our scientists were able to study and research many years beyond the Chinese scientists all because Chinese didn't have a use for glass (we used it for wine china was happy with its ceramics for tea). If we had collaboration (China was basically cut off from the western world), China would of kept up and we could of had many new inventions and scientific discoveries.

Its a rather ignorant approach to ask why we didn't invent things faster. In hindsight everything seems obvious. You can't go back before the lightbulb was invented and go "Duh you're too thick to have the lightbulb". It'd be like somebody coming from the future and saying "duh you haven't mastered nuclear fusion".

For the record, humanity (what is understood to be how we are now) only appeared 200k years ago, according to modern science.
Personally, I don't think we've developed slowly. Considering we lived less (another reason we advanced faster these last hundred years, our scientists are living longer). We started out with tools we found on the floor, we sharpened them we found uses for sharpened tools, we made fire we found uses for fire and sharpened tools, we found animals, we found uses for fire sharpened tools and animal parts, and so on, the every going tree of finding use of something with something new and combining them and finding a new use for the combined thing. There are other distractions in life too, we invented arts and devoted lifetimes to them, we tried to find meaning to our lives we had many oh so many wars.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Technology is holding us back.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

I personally believe that our "jump forward" technologically speaking,stems from the publication of Darwin's theory of evolution.Why this is significant to me is for the first time,a theory that basically blew creationism into the weeds was widely studied and accepted as a viable alternative to the dogma instilled by many organised religions,in other words it was a sledgehammer that knocked down many barriers to thought dependant upon religious belief.

Those who espoused scientific and technological advacement at that time were now unshackled as it were and perhaps felt more able to tout their ideas without fear of ridicule or of being accused of being "in league with Lucifer".

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

So, what was it? Or conversely, what propelled us forward?

We had to wait until we learned about the transistor from the Roswell Crash. Once we had that then everything else just fell into place.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
My personal opinion, is that it's less of what held us back, than, What caused the restarts?

advancements/setbacks/ starts/stops/successes/fails...

with humans being around for eons, if currents history is an indication, humanity as a whole has advanced far/ only to have to restart after a monumental fail.

with todays present advancements, I also believe that we encounter failure when we fail to advance with consideration to our place in the environment too. we shouldn't be trashing the planet while we advance technologically or otherwise, that's like building an invention in your garage whilst constantly dumping trash into it. eventually, something has to give.
edit on 14-3-2012 by ahmonrarh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by minkmouse
Question I'm concerned with is can we keep up culturally, emotionally and intellectually with our technological development or are we going to end up like a band of monkeys who found an AK 47 and accidentally came across the trigger?

I couldn't agree more strongly! The big question, Can humanity survive its infancy with its technical triumphs. Things are moving along at lightning speeds and increasing more rapidly as time progresses. Just 10 years ago technology today seemed light years away but here it is and soon will become obsolete. The Cutting edge is so hard to distinguish from science fiction these days. Time will tell weather we will destroy ourselves or not, weather literally, mentally or the fabric of our being.

Interesting times they are. Exciting it is.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join