It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Auto Experts: 20 ft thread-like tail hanging from my tailpipe???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I dropped off my car today to have the exhaust replaced. Driving home from the place, I had someone holler out to me that I was dragging toilet paper. I was like what???? Yeah, ok.

When I pulled in my drive, I got out and looked and I was dragging about 20 ft. of this thread like stuff from my tailpipe. I got in the house and called the place and they said to bring it back, and that they have no idea what it could be. Of course, the place is closed so they can't look at it until tomorrow.

Inquiring minds want to know....what the heck is this? and why did it happen? It wasn't like that in the parking lot of the shop. It happened as soon as I started the engine, I guess.

I wrapped most of it up and threw it in the back as you can see from the photo.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
What part of your exhaust was replaced?

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Lol, places like those usually fix something, but break something else. It's simple business tactics. For example, doctors help you 'manage' your symptoms from like cancer for example, but never heal you. Especially, if you receive medicaid. Too easy to rip people off.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Fitch303

The whole thing. It cost $500 bucks. Exhaust pipe, and muffler.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Muffler packing.... Plain and simple. I assume you had a muffler replaced and one of the internal baffles wasn't welded properly allowing the packing to come out...

Its a glass wool kind of material....
If you touch it does it feel like insulation???
edit on 14-3-2012 by Wewillrise77 because: question

edit on 14-3-2012 by Wewillrise77 because: (no reason given)

The above image will explain everything.....
edit on 14-3-2012 by Wewillrise77 because: Picture

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Wewillrise77

Yes, it did feel kind of like insulation. When I picked it up off the ground, at first I didn't notice it came from the tail pipe. I thought I had picked up something while driving and dragged it home.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
lol looks like carbon fiber from the muffler or the catalase converter that has been blown out of your exhaust.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
It's actually fiberglass from the resonator.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

Did you check the trunk for the corpse of a platinum blonde?
That's the limit of my knowledge of cars and mechanics. Hope you get it "fixed" no matter what the cause.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

To me it looks as if the windings on your muffler bearings have given.

But seriously, it looks like the asbestos type packing inside of your muffler has become dislodged and has blown out.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Glasspack?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I would say the muffler they installed was faulty. It happens. No doubt the shop will replace it for free tomorrow...

Seen as it was their fault, try and get a nice chrome tip for your exhaust in the deal...

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by virraszto

I had someone holler out to me that I was dragging toilet paper.

It may look like toilet paper, but don't try it.
It could turn out to be a real pain in the ........

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

LOL as I looked at the picture, the thing that came to mind was the girl in "Tangled".

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Perhaps glass fibers from the catalytic converter? Hmmmm never seen anything like that before tho.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I had exactly the same thing happen to my car years ago. I thought it was kids acting it but i pulled a lot of it out and just carried on driving and it was ok after that. Think i had a new exhaust at the time if i remember right as it was just after an MOT and i had picked it up from the garage and only noticed it next morning when i went to start it back up. Was the same as in the photo.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
My dog had the same problem, kept dragging his ass on the carpet. I think Frontline makes something for it.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I was stopped at a set of traffic lights on my way to work one day.
The light turned green and so I took off but someone tooted their horn at me
and then sped passed giving me the finger.
When I got to work I discovered that my muffler was missing, I'm guessing
it fell off at the lights prompting an angry responce from the guy behind me

Your story reminded me of this S & F for you

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

The stuff is muffler packing, I have seen it before. I cannot believe you spent $500 for a simple exhaust system. The system on my van is headers, and pipe all the way to the back, twins, and it cost 1/2 of what you paid, installed.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

The stuff is muffler packing, I have seen it before. I cannot believe you spent $500 for a simple exhaust system. The system on my van is headers, and pipe all the way to the back, twins, and it cost 1/2 of what you paid, installed.

I know. I can't believe it was that expensive. It's been a long time since I had to replace an exhaust, and prices went up like everything else. With tax, it was $518.42. The guy gave me a $50 mail in rebate form which I was glad to get. After bringing it back, they replaced the muffler, and gave me a card for a free oil change.

My other car needs brakes....I know that's gonna set me back a few bucks.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join