It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake hit Norway this evening!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Link 2 source

(needs Google Translate to Norwegian)

Strongest earthquake in Norway tonite at 20:30 in 23 years! And we just had a quake not very long ago.. whats goin on? (pls move if in wrong place mods)
edit on 14-3-2012 by creatureme because: editpiaf

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by creatureme

Link 2 source

(needs Google Translate)

Strongest earthquake in Norway tonite at 20:30 in 23 years! And we just had a quake not very long ago.. whats goin on? (pls move if in wrong place mods)

O, can you give details to us who don't speak the language? Magnitude?

Eta...3.5? Ehh

edit on 14-3-2012 by amongus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Link 2 source

(needs Google Translate)

Nice find, I can't read what ever that language is, do you know what size earthquake it was? Can't find it on USGS yet but that's pretty normal.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
West coast of Norway was hit by the earth quake. About 3.4 on Richter scale. Not very common at all for that area,

Magnitude ML 3.4
Region NORTH SEA
Date time 2012-03-14 19:22:03.0 UTC
Location 58.66 N ; 2.69 E
Depth 1 km
Distances 681 km NW Copenhagen (pop 1,089,957 ; local time 20:22:03.0 2012-03-14)
177 km W Stavanger-sandnes (pop 173,132 ; local time 20:22:03.0 2012-03-14)
170 km SW Haugesund (pop 40,321 ; local time 20:22:03.0 2012-03-14)
edit on 14-3-2012 by asala because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Link 2 source

(needs Google Translate)

But it happened 23 years ago.....so, not really something that points to doom. Because it has happened in recent times.

Interesting thouh.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I think it says 3.5 and I think it's in Finnish, not sure

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

so very sorry! And many thanks to asala for getting to it before I did!

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

The article says it's from, 14 mars 2012, my bad it's Dutch, mars is March in Dutch.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by PageAlaCearl

Its norwegian dude! Im sorry, I didnt find any english news on it yet

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Here it is I think

A 4.9 Reykjanes Ridge in Altantic.

www.iris.edu...

link   

Originally posted by PageAlaCearl
reply to post by amongus

The article says it's from, 14 mars 2012, my bad it's Dutch, mars is March in Dutch.

Oh, it's all good! No need for apologies. Thx for breaking the news before true American or Puterman, or west coast. That's an accomplishment that deserves double stars.

link   
Maybe that Norway Spiral thing got fired up again?

Although...
I'm pretty sure that a 3.4 magnitude is in the same realm as putting your phone on vibrate.

edit on 14-3-2012 by tvtexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Its norwegian dude! Im sorry, I didnt find any english news on it yet

In both Norwegian and Dutch Mars is March in English, my bad just guessing, can't understand either language very well

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Actually March in Dutch is Maart according to Google translate.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Good find

Two:

3.4 North Sea
emsc

4.8 - REYKJANES RIDGE
emsc

link   
reply to post by cayote

12 (9:03 p.m.) Updated: March 14. 2012 (22:11)

At 20.30 o'clock Wednesday evening marked both the people of Hordaland and Rogaland that the earth shook.

The epicenter was just north of Etne, and magnitude 3.5. Something similar has not Etne area experienced since 1989, says Atakan Kuvvet professor in the Department of Earth Science to bt.no.

- There are regular earthquakes in Sunnhordland. It is one of the most vulnerable areas of the country in southern Norway, but this is the strongest in Etne since 1989. Then we measured 4.2, says Atakan.

The quake was detected by stations from Nordland to Kongsberg, in Molde and Trondheim. It does not mean earthquake has been noticeable in all these places.

"Shook the whole house"

Atakan has located the earthquake at 59.5 degrees north and 5.6 east, about 30 kilometers northeast of Haugesund. Depth is relatively shallow - 6 miles.

Bt.no have received many inquiries from the southern part of the Hordaland
- It shook the whole house, says Eivind Habbestad (57), who lives in the north of Bømlo. He says that it lasted for half a minute.

- It rattled the glasses and I heard the rumble in the ocean, said Habbestad. He thought it was a dynamite blast had gone off, but could not understand that someone was doing it after it was dark.
- So when I realized quickly that it was an earthquake, he said.

Historically, there have been several earthquakes in Sunnhordland than 4 in magnitude, but Tore Fykse in Sveio says that he has "seen it so powerful before."

- It shook the house well. I have never known it so bad before, says Fykse. He entered a post about the earthquake on Facebook and got responses from friends both in Stavanger Bømlo, Haugesund and Tysvær immediately.

- Luckily, nothing broke, says Fykse.
Løyen major in Rogaland

Stavanger Aftenblad has also received many messages from Haugesund in the north to the south Byrkjedal.

- The house shook violently, there was a major løyen and both my wife and I got a headache afterwards, says a reader from Byrkjedal.

Haugaland and Sunnhordland police experienced a storm in the phone minutes after the earthquake.

- We sat three men here and received. I do not know exactly how many phones it was, it was certainly more than a decade, said operations manager Jan Magne Østebøvik to bt.no.

The policemen, who sits in Haugesund, mark well the quake itself. But they have not received notification of any damage or other problems.
All right in StatoilHydro

Statoil Kårstø plant is located in the earthquake area. The company also runs the Grane platform in the North Sea, 185 kilometers west of Haugesund.

Information manager Ola Anders Skauby Statoil checked with the monitoring center just after he was notified of the quake.

- This is where the messages come in if something irregular happens with some of our installations, but they had not received any messages, he said.

He has also talked to the boss on the Grane platform, which has fixed steel jacket. He had not noticed the quake.

- Our systems are built to withstand a lot, but we follow the trend, says Skauby.
Did huge bang

On Sveio got John Jacobsen and neighbors a shock tonight.

- First, it began to hum, but then there came a loud bang as if a melt of a volley in the neighboring house, said Jacobsen.

Researcher Steven John Gibbons at NORSAR says it is not unusual that it comes bang in connection with earthquakes.

- It's hard to say exactly what they have heard, but there have been major earth movements. We almost always get messages that people have heard this bang when there have been tremors, said Gibbons.from Nordland to Kongsberg, in Molde and Trondheim. It does not mean earthquake has been noticeable in all these places.
edit on 14-3-2012 by cayote because: added entire page

link   

Perhaps Danish.

link   

Originally posted by quedup
Here it is I think

A 4.9 Reykjanes Ridge in Altantic.

www.iris.edu...

Yes, this is the one that caught my eye earlier. However, even if it's 3.4, the strongest earthquake felt in the area in 23 years still says something.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by cayote

Actually March in Dutch is Maart according to Google translate.

Yes both words mean March, try it for yourself, translate Mars from Dutch to English, you get March, do it the other way around you get Maart.

edit on 14-3-2012 by PageAlaCearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by quedup

It is Norwegian.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join