reply to post by cayote
12 (9:03 p.m.) Updated: March 14. 2012 (22:11)
At 20.30 o'clock Wednesday evening marked both the people of Hordaland and Rogaland that the earth shook.
The epicenter was just north of Etne, and magnitude 3.5. Something similar has not Etne area experienced since 1989, says Atakan Kuvvet professor in
the Department of Earth Science to bt.no.
- There are regular earthquakes in Sunnhordland. It is one of the most vulnerable areas of the country in southern Norway, but this is the strongest
in Etne since 1989. Then we measured 4.2, says Atakan.
The quake was detected by stations from Nordland to Kongsberg, in Molde and Trondheim. It does not mean earthquake has been noticeable in all these
"Shook the whole house"
Atakan has located the earthquake at 59.5 degrees north and 5.6 east, about 30 kilometers northeast of Haugesund. Depth is relatively shallow - 6
Bt.no have received many inquiries from the southern part of the Hordaland
- It shook the whole house, says Eivind Habbestad (57), who lives in the north of Bømlo. He says that it lasted for half a minute.
- It rattled the glasses and I heard the rumble in the ocean, said Habbestad. He thought it was a dynamite blast had gone off, but could not
understand that someone was doing it after it was dark.
- So when I realized quickly that it was an earthquake, he said.
Historically, there have been several earthquakes in Sunnhordland than 4 in magnitude, but Tore Fykse in Sveio says that he has "seen it so powerful
- It shook the house well. I have never known it so bad before, says Fykse. He entered a post about the earthquake on Facebook and got responses from
friends both in Stavanger Bømlo, Haugesund and Tysvær immediately.
- Luckily, nothing broke, says Fykse.
Løyen major in Rogaland
Stavanger Aftenblad has also received many messages from Haugesund in the north to the south Byrkjedal.
- The house shook violently, there was a major løyen and both my wife and I got a headache afterwards, says a reader from Byrkjedal.
Haugaland and Sunnhordland police experienced a storm in the phone minutes after the earthquake.
- We sat three men here and received. I do not know exactly how many phones it was, it was certainly more than a decade, said operations manager Jan
Magne Østebøvik to bt.no.
The policemen, who sits in Haugesund, mark well the quake itself. But they have not received notification of any damage or other problems.
All right in StatoilHydro
Statoil Kårstø plant is located in the earthquake area. The company also runs the Grane platform in the North Sea, 185 kilometers west of
Information manager Ola Anders Skauby Statoil checked with the monitoring center just after he was notified of the quake.
- This is where the messages come in if something irregular happens with some of our installations, but they had not received any messages, he
He has also talked to the boss on the Grane platform, which has fixed steel jacket. He had not noticed the quake.
- Our systems are built to withstand a lot, but we follow the trend, says Skauby.
Did huge bang
On Sveio got John Jacobsen and neighbors a shock tonight.
- First, it began to hum, but then there came a loud bang as if a melt of a volley in the neighboring house, said Jacobsen.
Researcher Steven John Gibbons at NORSAR says it is not unusual that it comes bang in connection with earthquakes.
- It's hard to say exactly what they have heard, but there have been major earth movements. We almost always get messages that people have heard this
bang when there have been tremors, said Gibbons.from Nordland to Kongsberg, in Molde and Trondheim. It does not mean earthquake has been noticeable in
all these places.
edit on 14-3-2012 by cayote because: added entire page