It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please get rid of Java/flash chat

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Okay folks... seriously, a couple of points.

If it were up to me, we'd have NO chat. There, I said it.

But since I caved to member (and some staff) pressure to accommodate chat, I spent time reviewing the best-possible chat systems from an overall performance and security standpoint. In my opinion, we have the best overall solution currently available.

To me, attempting to participate in a real-time multi-user chat environment on a touch-screen mobile device is just plain silly, if not a recipe for frenetic chaos. So I never gave much thought to mobile support -- and rarely saw any in the available systems (other than the Ajax solutions which weren't really designed for mobile, and which all sucked).

On to the iPad... on Friday, I will have in my possession the newest version.

DISCLAIMER ---> I'm a Mac "fan boy." Not because I've bought into the cult of Mac/Apple/Jobs, but because with Macs, I get stuff done. I seriously do not have any games installed on my Mac, and only a few on my iPad, and none on my iPhone. I work with my Apple stuff, and get stuff done. (Well, I used to have X-Plane and Sim City)

Disclaimer out of the way, the iPad is the most transformative and disruptive technology since the personal computer. I'm absolutely serious about it.

Most of the people who dismiss the iPad misunderstand the intention of the device -- it's a platform/ecosystem that is a wireless window to view content, access entertainment, and communicate. The closed app/content ecosystem is it's advantage (ask any Android app developer). The lack of USB/ports is a nod to the future -- because everything should be wireless (Canon and Nikon will be releasing wifi cameras with syncing apps for iOS devices this year).

Right now, I can take a photo with my iPhone, nearly immediately see it on my bigger screen iPad and even make edits, then push those edits to my desktop Mac or wifi color printer. Everything will soon be wireless and effortlessly connected.

Reading books or watching videos on the iPad are also excellent experiences.

anyway... I like the iPad, and even more am excited about what it represents. But I can't imaging trying to use an environment like ATS's chat with it ((((shudder)))).

We are beginning preliminary work on iPad/iPhone apps for ATS. I expect them to be stunning. I won't release them until they are. There will likely be some level of real-time interaction amongst ATS members using the ATS App... but I wouldn't call it "chat."

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Thanks SO.

I found this a surprising thread, just because it got pretty nasty pretty quick. How could something so tech based turn into something so passionate...we are in ATS, I suppose.

I got a few iPad 2 for free for my business. Would never have considered them.

Now for entertainment, browsing and interactive client presentations my macbookpro laptop is redundant. I don't really need it, other than for producing documents and using excel....which I can also do on my iMac - brilliant processing power for editing, etc - or my other windows based desktops in the office.

It really is disruptive tech as its so easy to use.

The only issue is then how well your network works. If my wireless network goes down, nothing syncs....but it is a small price to pay for a smooth experience 99% of the time.
edit on 15-3-2012 by selfharmonise because: Rogue characters

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
If it were up to me, we'd have NO chat. There, I said it.

Good to hear you still got the gonads. (but I like chat lol)

Now, about that iPad thingy,..... like it or not,.. there are gonna be alot of them.
Trying to get ID on phony any pady things too.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
I actually own an iPad2, LOVE it for traveling, I don't try to use it for things that it won't do though...

Flash and Java are two things Apple won't allow, if we could find another chat client that was secure, didn't cost $10,000.00+ we would have one, sorry Amongus, it just isn't out there. they are either WIDE OPEN which violates our privacy policy, or, they are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE for us.

My only suggestion would be to buy a cheap netbook (

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Hate me for my sticking up for the IPad crowd. As well as Phone users.

if it wasn't for the IPhone, you wouldn't have apps. And I don't give a # what you think, but without the IPhone/iPad/touch invention, most of you wouldn't be here.

Laptop? Sweet, welcome to 1994.
edit on 18-3-2012 by amongus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
Hate me for my sticking up for the IPad crowd.

No problem,.... done.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
if it wasn't for the IPhone, you wouldn't have apps. And I don't give a # what you think, but without the IPhone/iPad/touch invention, most of you wouldn't be here.

Wow

That is by far the funniest thing i have ever heard on ATS.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join