It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Honey Discovered That Kills All Bacteria Scientists Throw At It

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Yep, and you dog or cat can lick it off for you providing protection to your pet as well.......

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

I did not see the article give a name, but I believe it is referring to manuka honey.
If so this is old news, heck I've got a jar here at home and have gone through a few.
Good stuff, go get some as it does work if it is raw, most health food stores should have it.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

And what if big pharma has a hand in the demise of colonies of bees?
This honey does have what many would consider magical properties.
BTW, honey is shelf stable FOREVER, go grab a few hundred bottles of it.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I think the discovery, here, is the isolation of a specific compound that works to provide additional antibacterial function over other honeys (that do not necessarily have that same compound).

That said - the issue of Colony Collapse Syndrome has been around for a while. It mostly affects the "Bee on Demand" industry - where hives are shuttled around the country to provide pollination during prime times of various crop cycles.

Stationary colonies tend to suffer from CCS very little to not at all.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
If it really kills all bacteria,
I want some to keep on my headboard.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by RussianScientists
wakingtimes.com...

A a honey discovered in Austrailia and New Zealand reportedly kills all bacteria.

This is hardly new.

I recall purchasing Manuka Honey for this purpose eight years ago. The honey is only produced naturally in New Zealand.

Later that year, a Sydney University Microbiologist did a paper on it that got some attention.

For at least five years there has been a product called Medi-Honey which is a concentrated filtered and heat treated version specifically for applications to wounds, for external use only.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
We sell this at my health food store and its pretty expensive. for 8 oz. it retails for $35.00.... Its activity is 15+ which is considered therapeutic grade. I was at the Whole Food Expo in Aneheim CA this last weekend and found a distrubutor there who made an honey oil extract who also claims to be a 15+ activity which is used for therapeutics purposes. The company is called Manawa East Cape Manuka Company. We are considering bringing there product into our stores because they are able to certify where the honey comes from and certify the UMF potency.....

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

Yup. Not new. But still interesting in that the actual agent has been identified.

The article in the OP references this article from 2009
www.theaustralian.com.au...

Here's another study from 2009
www.fasebj.org...

Here's one from 1999
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Because of the increase in antibiotic resistant bacterias, other honeys have researched as well.
www.biomedcentral.com...
micro.cornell.edu...

All they have to do now is genetically engineer e. coli to produce the active agents. Then, when all the bees are gone, and all the current antibiotics don't work, we'll be fine.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrChuck

Good thinking there, but not much to worry about. Honey's antibacterial effects are due to a certain antibacterial protein called defensin, Hydrogen peroxide, its osmolarity (high sugar to water ratio), and its pH level. All of these things are changed while in the stomach during digestion so the honey would hardly do any damage to normal gut bacteria.

Actually, it seems thats not correct and needs to be injested with moderation..

Active Manuka Honey's Unique Characteristics :

Only active Manuka honey provides non-hydrogen peroxide antibacterial components.
The Manuka Honey antibacterial factor is unaffected by enzymes in the body that destroy hydrogen peroxide components.
The Manuka honey antibacterial factor is highly effective against antibiotic resistant "superbugs."
The Manuka antibacterial component maintains its potency even when diluted over 50 times as will happen when used on or in the body.

and ..

Manuka Honey Suggested Uses :

For internal use with ulcers and gastritis: Spread one tablespoon of honey on toast and eat one hour before meals and at bedtime.
For internal use with sore throats, cold and flu: Allow one teaspoon of honey to gently melt in mouth, slowly coating the throat, four times daily. Do not disturb the healing effect by eating or drinking anything for 30 minutes.
For external use: Typically, about 1 ½ tablespoons of active Manuka honey is used on a 4" x 4" dressing. It is generally more effective to spread the honey on the bandage.
Dr. Molan at the University of Waikato offers the following suggestions for usage of active 15+ Manuka honey. These suggestions are not medical advice. If you are experiencing a persistent health problem, please seek the assistance of a qualified health practitioner.

www.mynaturalmarket.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
If it kills all bacteria that come in contact with it, wouldn't it kill all the good bacteria in your digestive tract when you ate it? That would be bad.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
i've been extolling the virtues of manuka honey for nigh on 20 years now. i've used it on pets, children, various relatives, friends, friends children, and i've converted every single person that i've ever put in contact with it. it not only is a miraculous cure for so many things, but honey is also the only food in the world that never goes off.

when my grandaughter was born, i bought her parents some manuka honey that was UMF (unique manuka factor) 25+, it was hideously expensive, but worth every single penny.

and it's not the manuka tree it comes from, it's the TEA TREE. ring any bells?!

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206
I think honey and almond butter on gluten free bread is one of the best snacks a person can have.

That used to be my favorite snack!.. (on hazelnut-cranberry bread) until my local market stopped carrying the bread.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Doesnt honey contain a mild dose of PEROXIDE?

Peroxide is broad-spectrum antiseptic.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture
Doesnt honey contain a mild dose of PEROXIDE?

Peroxide is broad-spectrum antiseptic.

Yes:

"Honey has been used for centuries to treat a wide range of medical problems like wounds, burns, cataracts, skin ulcers and scrapes," she says. "And now various researchers worldwide are also studying -- and finding -- strong antimicrobial properties in some honeys."

Honey fell from favor as a wound dressing when antibiotic dressings were developed during World War II. But the new research -- and the rise of antibiotic-resistant bacteria -- are putting this old-time folk remedy into the contemporary medicine chest.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by mindping

Originally posted by DrChuck

Good thinking there, but not much to worry about. Honey's antibacterial effects are due to a certain antibacterial protein called defensin, Hydrogen peroxide, its osmolarity (high sugar to water ratio), and its pH level. All of these things are changed while in the stomach during digestion so the honey would hardly do any damage to normal gut bacteria.

Actually, it seems thats not correct and needs to be injested with moderation..

Active Manuka Honey's Unique Characteristics :

Only active Manuka honey provides non-hydrogen peroxide antibacterial components.
The Manuka Honey antibacterial factor is unaffected by enzymes in the body that destroy hydrogen peroxide components.
The Manuka honey antibacterial factor is highly effective against antibiotic resistant "superbugs."
The Manuka antibacterial component maintains its potency even when diluted over 50 times as will happen when used on or in the body.

and ..

Manuka Honey Suggested Uses :

For internal use with ulcers and gastritis: Spread one tablespoon of honey on toast and eat one hour before meals and at bedtime.
For internal use with sore throats, cold and flu: Allow one teaspoon of honey to gently melt in mouth, slowly coating the throat, four times daily. Do not disturb the healing effect by eating or drinking anything for 30 minutes.
For external use: Typically, about 1 ½ tablespoons of active Manuka honey is used on a 4" x 4" dressing. It is generally more effective to spread the honey on the bandage.
Dr. Molan at the University of Waikato offers the following suggestions for usage of active 15+ Manuka honey. These suggestions are not medical advice. If you are experiencing a persistent health problem, please seek the assistance of a qualified health practitioner.

www.mynaturalmarket.com...

Yes the sellers may say all these nice things, but I rely on medical/scientific journals and knowledge. Honey not only produces antibacterial factors it also has probiotic agents (encourges intestinal floral growth and health).

1. All of our gut cells and some of our flora produce catalase that neutralizes hydrogen peroxide. And it doesn't take much catalase to drop H2O2 to negligible levels.

2. Defensin is a protein that gets denatured in a acidic environment, such as our stomach.

3. The honeys low pH is raised by bicarbonate pumped in by our duodenum

4. The high osmolarity that sucks water from bacteria dry is obviously changed by uptake/breakdown of sugars by our enzymes, intestinal cells and bacterial flora.

5. The only other antibacterial factor not seen in other honeys is MethylGlyxol, this is only seen in Manuka honey. This would bypass most of the above. It is neutralized via glyoxalase system in our cells and certain bacterias.

www.fasebj.org...
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
edit on 15-3-2012 by DrChuck because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Been eating manuka honey for years....and i definately wasn't the first.

Have tried it on a few sores and wounds over the years too, not sure how fast it speeded up the healing process though.

I also get regular honey from a local bee keeper, they say if you get it from a hive thats within a few miles of where you live, you won't suffer from hayfever.

CX.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   

"And your Lord taught the honey bee ...." "And your Lord taught the honey bee to build its cells in hills, on trees, and in (men's) habitations; Then to eat of all the produce (of the earth), and find with skill the spacious paths of its Lord: there issues from within their bodies a drink of varying colours, wherein is healing for men: verily in this is a Sign for those who give thought. (Surat an-Nahl (The Bee), 68-69)

Sometimes science is late to catch up to what a lot of people already know.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

I've been using honey against mouth sores (herpes 1 or 2?) fer years. Works like a charm.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taz2122
reply to post by Mianeye

I've been using honey against mouth sores (herpes 1 or 2?) fer years. Works like a charm.

you know that herpes is a virus right?

antibiotics dont do jack against viruses.

People always want to make their house as Aseptical as possible. soaps with tetracycline, begging the doc for antibiotics on every sign of illness and so on. That aint good. Most Bacteria we have we need. If we constantly carpetbomb our microbiota the results are usually bad. Even Bad bacteria can help us, either to keep our Immunesystem vigilant or just as a "cockblock" for other more nasty ones that are very pathogenic but cannot colonise an already colonised body.

Only because some bee`s produce it the antibiotic it DOES NOT MEAN IT IS SAFE! The Man himself (flemming) said that antibiotics should always be a last resort thing. Then they work well.

Remember: Bacteria where FIRST. They dont colonise our world. We colonised Theirs. So we had to adept to them not opposite. There are wonderful articles outthere that show us that we should respect the lowly bacteries in and on our body maybe a little bit more.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

i just bought some on ebay for about £10

cheers for sharing OP!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join