It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AMAZING FOSSIL: Fish that swallowed a pterosaur that swallowed a fish (PHOTO)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
MODS please move to appropriate forum.

Dining can be a dangerous business. About 150 million years ago, a winged pterosaur called Rhamphorhynchus swooped down to pluck an unsuspecting fish out of the Jurassic ocean. Before the reptile could enjoy its meal, though, a much larger fish - Aspidorhynchus - grabbed the pterosaur and pulled it beneath the waves.

We're not done yet, though: before the predatory fish could tuck into its flying snack, it too somehow managed to die - perhaps choking on what was clearly an awkward meal. All three unfortunate beasts then sank to settle on the sea floor, where they fossilised.

The impressive find was unearthed in 2009 in Eichstätt, a town in southern Germany, and has now been described by Eberhard Frey and Helmut Tischlinger of the State Museum of Natural History Karlsruhe. It comes from the Solnhofen limestone, already famous as the final resting place of every specimen of early bird Archaeopteryx yet found.

makes for an awesome fossil, can´t add much else.

amazing find!

ETA

source[editb y]edit on 14-3-2012 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-3-2012 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
this is amazing and hilarious. good find.

some story should be concocted about this and told to school children to show them why uncontrolled greed will lead to their downfall.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
wow that is some circle of life shizzle!

somewhere I have seen a I think a Mongolian fossil of a proto ceratops that died fighting some kind of small raptor dinosaur they are still locked in combat

great post

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

some story should be concocted about this and told to school children to show them why uncontrolled greed will lead to their downfall.

just a quick question though.

in what way does this connect to uncontrolled greed?

just wondering

edit on 14-3-2012 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

because of the third fish's hunger they all died. kinda like "don't bite off more than you can chew".

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
you'd think it would have grabbed the pterosaur from the bottom not the back
and that square bone by the pterosaurs neck kinda looks like an alien moon base....

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
A Fish
Swallowed By a Pterosaur
Swallowed By a Aspidorynchus Fish

Clearly, it's...
... Jurassic-ception

edit on 14-3-2012 by TheLiesOfEden because: Minor adjustment

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Very ODD to me is..

they ALL got frozen in time at the exact moment ............how does that happen?? Only thing that comes to my mind is a super cold flash freeze.. if it was lava, they'd burn up to nothing.......wouldn't they?

I don't get it..
ETA: the only other thing i can think of is.. they all died at the same time and died where they stood, instantly, and then left there and time did the rest..

I still come back to .. what killed them so suddenly?

edit on 14-3-2012 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo
Very ODD to me is..

they ALL got frozen in time at the exact moment ............how does that happen?? Only thing that comes to my mind is a super cold flash freeze.. if it was lava, they'd burn up to nothing.......wouldn't they?

I don't get it..
ETA: the only other thing i can think of is.. they all died at the same time and died where they stood, instantly, and then left there and time did the rest..

You're right!

I didn't even think about this.

Anyone able to come up with a plausible explanation??

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo
Very ODD to me is..

I don't get it..

I was thinking the exact same thing. Unless when the third predator caught the other 2 something kept if from releasing its hold for some reason and they all died together. Very cool fossil!

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

unless it's faked..........!

now there's a conspiracy if i ever heard of one LOL..
......but they wouldn't do that.........would they? .. could they ? and why would they ? just to ensure the 'theory' is more 'provable'

new topics

top topics

active topics

join