It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA launching 5 rockets to light up US east coast sky tonight

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by The Shrike

Wow, shame:

I spent 1-1/2 hours waiting on a corner almost freezing my ass and nothing happened.

In this thread it was mentioned that the test launches were called off...postponed.

And, the source article mentions that these tests are scheduled for the next few weeks, as a window of opportunity.

Gotta remember, ATS is "right on the ball", sometimes....can be very, very timely, if checked....sorry, but since I'm on the West Coast (and it's low overcast)....better luck when the event really happens.

Stay tuned to "ATS"! (
)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I haven't seen a second delay, so it "could" be on again this evening...so about 12:01am on Friday morning EST. Will keep monitoring for another delay, or change in schedule.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by gavron

....so about 12:01am on Friday morning EST...

EDT.."Daylight" time, remember. Now only 4 hours earlier from GMT, for those keeping score at home.....

(edit)....ah, you're in Arizona.....yup, tendency to forget about DST. Same in Hawai'i and Indianapolis....(to just name two other places)....

Anyway, didn't want anyone to be late to the "party"!
edit on Thu 15 March 2012 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Shrike
all I saw was a fast moving light that lasted about one second and I have no idea what it was as it was a horizontal, short trajectory.

Fast moving and horizontal suggests that it almost certainly was a meteor that you saw. So perhaps not a total loss after all.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

Oops sorry, EDT. We don't change time here in Arizona....always forget if its EST or EDT.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by FireballStorm

all I saw was a fast moving light that lasted about one second and I have no idea what it was as it was a horizontal, short trajectory.

Fast moving and horizontal suggests that it almost certainly was a meteor that you saw. So perhaps not a total loss after all.

No, it wasn't a meteor, that I would have recognized. This was not a bug reflecting the street lamps. It didn't last enough time for me to even come up with possibilities. It was just an unusual short light display as if a small aircraft had turned on the inside lights for a second. That's about as close as I can come up with an explanation. I won't even say it was a UFO, just a curiosity. But it was real, even as short as it was in duration. Friday night it's supposed to be cloudy and cooler so I don't think I'm going to go out to have a look see, I'll wait for the news or youtube.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

No, it wasn't a meteor, that I would have recognized.

With all due respect, how can you be 100% certain?

Granted it may have been something else, and I have no idea of what your personal experience level is when it comes to meteor observing, but it would by no means be the first time I have heard a similar statement to the one above, after having described seeing a meteor down to a "T".

You said yourself it appeared only fleetingly. Was there anything to suggest that it was not a meteor, such as an apparent change in direction, though even some meteors can appear to change direction.

This was not a bug reflecting the street lamps. It didn't last enough time for me to even come up with possibilities. It was just an unusual short light display as if a small aircraft had turned on the inside lights for a second. That's about as close as I can come up with an explanation.

If it was an aircraft, would it not have to be either very close by to appear to be "fast"? Either that, or a long way away, and going at a very high rate of knots. Either way, don't you think you would have heard something if it was either of those possibilities?

I won't even say it was a UFO, just a curiosity. But it was real, even as short as it was in duration.

Please forgive my curiosity, but it (meteors) is a subject I have been very interested in for many years now, and I'm always looking for insights into how people interpret meteors or "meteor like" phenomena.

You say it was "just" a curiosity, but often times in science, it's these overlooked "curiosities" that lead to break-through in a subject once they are looked at in some detail.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Just in case anyone is planning on heading out for the rescheduled launch...

I just heard that the rescheduled launch has been postponed for at least another night. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news yet again.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by FireballStorm

Yep, looks like the next attempt will be the morning of the 17th. More info here:
SOURCE

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
just an fyi. there is a thread here that was started prior.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird
reply to post by The Shrike

Wow, shame:

I spent 1-1/2 hours waiting on a corner almost freezing my ass and nothing happened.

In this thread it was mentioned that the test launches were called off...postponed.

And, the source article mentions that these tests are scheduled for the next few weeks, as a window of opportunity.

Gotta remember, ATS is "right on the ball", sometimes....can be very, very timely, if checked....sorry, but since I'm on the West Coast (and it's low overcast)....better luck when the event really happens.

Stay tuned to "ATS"! (
)

Notice that the cancellation notice was posted below by a member. I did not look at the thread after my initial look. I could not have known that a cancellation was in the works. I'm just an "innocent victim".

posted on 14-3-2012 @ 05:44 PM

Sorry to disappoint, but the launch has been delayed because of an internal radio frequency interference issue with one of the rockets.

Radio Glitch Delays 5-Rocket Launch to Edge of Space

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by omegacorps

My apologies omega, we can close this and link to yours.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
OK...launch is a GO for Sunday, 3/18/12!!!

SPACE.COM LINK

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

After a four-day delay, NASA is planning to fire off five rockets in just over five minutes late Monday (March 19) for a mission that, if all goes well, will create glowing clouds to probe mysterious, fast-moving winds at the edge of space.

SPACE.com

Seems to have been delayed AGAIN! NOAA is forecasting cloud cover with a chance of rain until Wednesday for Wallops Island. My guess is they will hold off until the 21st or 22nd.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by olliemc84

After a four-day delay, NASA is planning to fire off five rockets in just over five minutes late Monday (March 19) for a mission that, if all goes well, will create glowing clouds to probe mysterious, fast-moving winds at the edge of space.

SPACE.com

Seems to have been delayed AGAIN! NOAA is forecasting cloud cover with a chance of rain until Wednesday for Wallops Island. My guess is they will hold off until the 21st or 22nd.

Uuurgg!!! Is this ever going to happen???? It better be one heck of a show!

I made the mistake of telling my 9 year old about this event. Anyone with children will understand how relentless they can be when they have an expectation.

It's all I've of heard of since last week and apparently he even has his teacher and classmates interested in the event as well.

Fingers crossed...tightly.

<< 1   >>

join