It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marines told to disarm before Panetta speech

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Its really sad when individual soldiers have to disarm in the presence of their boss because people's INDIVIDUAL OPINIONS have become a threat to the stability of the nation.

The best thing about being a soldier is that you don't have to have a political or social opinion regarding your job....

but in this world that's flipped upside down...soldiers think they should influence, compose and implement policy.

security.blogs.cnn.com...

Marines waiting for Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta to speak at Camp Leatherneck were ordered by Sgt Maj. Brandon Hall to go out and leave their weapons outside the room. Panetta arrived in Afghanistan Wednesday for a two-day visit amidst heightened tensions after an American soldier was alleged to have killed 16 Afghan civilians.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

I remember a similar incident in Honolulu when Clinton came in. They made us take our bolt carrier group out while we were on the parade deck. He should feel the safest within the ranks but who knows what the mentality is nowadays!

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
its a real problem when created things question the word that created them. don't you agree?

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

The best thing about being a soldier is that you don't have to have a political or social opinion regarding your job....

Are you serious? Its usually when the soldiers see the truth and act justly that a tyranical government collapses.

There should never be a time where one loses a healthy level of discretion, why do you think he is scared of his own troops, why wont Cheney visit Canada, because everyone hates them and its not hard to see why they would.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Wow that's worrying. I think the crumbling of of society has just jumped up a notch. Sec of Def can't be in the presence of his own armed troops for fear someone will come to their senses and pop a cap in him? And poor Dick Cheney can't set foot in Canada ever again! Its now officially coming apart at the seams imo.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I just started a thread on this but saw that you beat me to it OP!

I find it disgusting and very telling of our civilian leaders, when they can't trust the troops.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by el1jah

I 2nd that opinion.

Scenario 1: Politicians lie and fudged truth to go to war with other nations for resources and corporate agendas, many soldiers are crippled & die for reasons other than they were lead to believe. Politicians, knowing their deceptions, are paranoid and over protective of themselves knowing that not all soldiers are so blind and ignorant to the truth.

Scenario 2: Politicians were completely honest about the threats of terrorism from Iraq and Afghanistan, and coming soon -Iran, and have no paranoia or concerns about walking in public without an entourage of secret service, and feel 100% secure surrounded by their own troops, especially in bases. The disarming is only a precautionary procedure "just in case" any military personnel are disgruntled for an unknown reason.

Which is more likely?

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
With that many Marines there, guns are not necessary anyway.

I would say the Marines, if so inclined, would not need their guns to give those deserving a beat down. I would not want them killed anyway, a beat down and the embarrassment of living with it later is a much better outcome.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by el1jah

Are you serious? Its usually when the soldiers see the truth and act justly that a tyranical government collapses.

There should never be a time where one loses a healthy level of discretion, why do you think he is scared of his own troops, why wont Cheney visit Canada, because everyone hates them and its not hard to see why they would.

those soldiers are seeing and believing in an illusion. they forgot to be soldiers and became ACTIVISTS.

i recently became convinced of something i heard some years back...

...what you THINK you see is little more than a reflection of yourself.

the tyrant exists in those soldiers' own heart...and I suppose even the SOD doesn't trust in himself enough to allow his men to be armed in his presence.

flipped upside down, i say. flipped upside down.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
The masters are afraid of the slaves!

OP were the Nazis being good soldiers by avoiding any opinion of their own?

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Scenario 2 is my vote.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Lord Jules

most of those soldiers were released after the war, i thought.

we haven't gotten to that place.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
It's actually standard operating procedure for visitations by VIP's. Both when President Bush and VP Cheney came to Camp Lejeune. We had to close down all firing ranges and go through tight security just to hear them speak. They are just taking a page out of the playbook on this one. I don't see this as anything other than normal. The Marines on gaurd still had their weapons I'm sure.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

i wouldn't want that to be standard operating procedure...after delivering a rousing speech...i'd want my troops to empty a clip in the air in support of my vision.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

That's what happens when the politicians start to think that the army no longer believes their BS and is ready to start a revolution.

When they start becoming afraid of their own armed forces, there's definetly something they aren't telling us.

That or Panetta is just a big wuss.

ETA; Reading over the thread, it could also be SOP.

~Tenth
edit on 3/14/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux

Not those who were hung at Nuremberg. I guess they can be called truly patriotic soldiers for simply following their duty.

That 'place' always exists. Look how many wars we are in and then try and see past the illusion that it is all for democracy. Ask the survivors of the Iraq war if we have 'gotten to that place' yet.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Um this is what is always done. They do have to put away weapons for USO shows as well. Its just common sense.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lord Jules

Originally posted by michaelbrux

Not those who were hung at Nuremberg. I guess they can be called truly patriotic soldiers for simply following their duty.

That 'place' always exists. Look how many wars we are in and then try and see past the illusion that it is all for democracy. Ask the survivors of the Iraq war if we have 'gotten to that place' yet.

What wars are 'WE' in? Afghanistan is a NATO mission...we're are there only to provide the testosterone,as the rest of the world has a shortage.

No other wars exist for America the last time I checked.

and Nuremberg was for the leaders, not the rank and file.

i will look into the hundreds of thousands, probably millions, of men and women that returned from Iraq uninjured and unharmed in any way.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

USO is different, they are Hollywood and Broadway people...

Soldiers are soldiers and the armed men are for adrenaline.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

That's what happens when the politicians start to think that the army no longer believes their BS and is ready to start a revolution.

When they start becoming afraid of their own armed forces, there's definetly something they aren't telling us.

That or Panetta is just a big wuss.

ETA; Reading over the thread, it could also be SOP.

~Tenth
edit on 3/14/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

why would the Army revolt against itself?

Panetta's staff are the wusses.

someone should insist those soldiers attend his speech armed.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join