It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Betcha didn't see this coming...

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Amen to that. Kudos on the super analogy. Awesome read.

Peace

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

In order for their plan to work, they would have to sell middle class people gold at high prices and collapse the gold market, creating higher prices in some of the other metals. Possibly copper or silver. This would in turn collapse the stock market except for stocks with real asset values and most people would be in the same boat. China just bought a lot of the paper silver up, maybe they have advanced knowledge or perception of something.......Then again I could be wrong like I usually am about these investment things

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

just get one from an s10 etc, weld up angle for brackets if needed and use reducing couplings differences in hose size (muffler shop can expand pipe)...

steel prices began to rise when the chinese started building that dam (whatever its called)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
why does it seem like 30 years or so cars were built to last a lifetime and made from pure steel, like a land yacht.
now a days a car is all plastic and built specifically to "need" work from "the dealership".

i am all proud of my 1973 fleetwood brougham. one of 1200 made.

an American beauty.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Here's ya one, that'll be there long after they've taken the rest away....

They get better with time....

youtu.be...

edit on 16-3-2012 by freetree64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   

sorry dont know how to yet

but i just put in auto parts in google search

hope that helps

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SOILDERSUNITEDFORCHRIST

Hahaha I know what you mean! I slid down a hill and hit a boulder at like 30 MPH with my old truck. It had a tiny chip in the bumper. A new car gets hit with a frikken shopping cart, and you got like $1000 in damage

My suburban is a tank!
edit on Fri, 16 Mar 2012 04:54:20 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
All the junk yards around here still have plenty of old cars. I found an almost brand new replacement radiator for my wife's car (92 geo prism) and the guy at the window said where did you get that I said in a car out there he said usually something that good they would have grabbed it and sold it for more then their schedule price and I got lucky. Someone had replaced the radiator in that car right before it was junked the thing as perfect. I got it for 25 bucks.

A good radiator shop should be able to repair that radiator.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by SOILDERSUNITEDFORCHRIST

Beautiful car. The closest to anything like that that I have is a 1970 Riviera. Something like 40,000 made but how often do you see one?

I bought a 1984 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Brougham coupe from my father for about $1000 recently. 32k original miles. That thing is like driving your living room around, I can only imagine what yours is like.

edit on 3/16/12 by Magnivea because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
actually there are a large number of radiators to be had for this vehicle, here is one I found in about a 30 second search

www.autopartswarehouse.com...:0&refType=Category&refValue=Radiator

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ringing

Call them and ask if they have it in stock. The answer will be "no".

They're easy to find on the Internet; but all those are parts numbers which are obsolete and no longer available. I even called Spectra themselves; the CU-643 is no longer manufactured.

I'd be happy if someone could just explain to me why they are actively advertising something they don't have and can't get.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by ringing

I'd be happy if someone could just explain to me why they are actively advertising something they don't have and can't get.

TheRedneck

That I can do. Its called internet sales. This is common practice for any business that sells good on the internet. No matter what your ordering call first. Unless the supplier is never ever ever making the good again it will be listed, this allows company's to increase their float which increases their ability to obtain more credit as well as pad profit margins.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
OK, I hate auto questions and problems that I don't know the answer to from memory so I've been slightly obsessive over this.

After a lot of reading, I think you could swap in a 2006-2010 Civic radiator without too much of a problem. Plus it's right around $90.

Failing that, a 1990-1994 Eclipse would work with a little work.

Failing THAT, search Amazon, Ebay, Craigslist... Whatever you can think of for Spectra radiators part# CU643. They still manufacture new radiators for the 1980 LUV/Faster.

If that doesn't work, look for radiators out of these:
Isuzu Fargo
Bedford Midi
Bedford Seta
General Motors Midi
GME Midi
Holden Shuttle
Isuzu Midi
Isuzu WFR
Vauxhall Midi

Same engine. Someone has to have one damnit.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Magnivea

AWESOME!

I've saved that post in case I do need it. I can do rework on the brackets easy enough. Thank you!

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I agree with the thread in a general way.

As for going to a radiator shop or machinist though I can sort of see why it might be better to scrap the old stuff out and recreate it. All metals break down over time, might it not be better to melt it down and reform it back into a needed part that is created new again? I could be wrong I am not sure exactly how it all works out in the end. That is how I imagine it working though.

If I am correct though at least in that way old parts to not just sit and break back down in to the environment while new metals are being dug up. In this fashion new parts for old cars are being made on the demand they are needed. Of course the cost of metal would increase a bit as it is refined or melted down and the parts cost would be a bit more simply based on demand. Maybe I have it wrong in the thought though.

The problem with my car is that it was produced in Japan so buying new OEM parts cost a lot, since the numbers were only around 6000 being brought into the U.S. for my year (technically I could use anything from an 04 version as well and a few things from 05, mine is an 03) using a junk yard is not an option. In my case I found an online forum that revolves around my car. At best I can find people who are parting out a totaled car or selling things because they are turning their car into a track car. Other than that performance parts are cheaper than OEM in most every price, even in the terms of aftermarket body work is cheaper than OEM.

Not all new cars are hard to work on. As I said before performance parts are cheaper than OEM. I picked up a Walbro high flow fuel pump for under $100 a new OEM pump will cost me a lot more. Replacing the pump was a snap. I did it on a full tank. All I needed to do is lift the cushion for the rear seat and then remove a small metal plate revealing the top of the pump. A few screws more and I was staring into a full tank of gasoline

That said there are other things that while might be a tight fit and a pain to work on are still easily done in my garage here at home. The engine though for the most part aside from working out flaws along the way is basically the same as it has been for at least a decade prior to this cars production. Yes they made it better along the way but it is relatively the same in the end.

Raist

edit on 3/17/12 by Raist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Good luck finding that radiator.

I had the same problem last summer with a Daihatsu Rocky (never heard of it? well neither has anyone else!)

I love the ChevyLuv, spent a good portion of my HS days riding around in one. Cool little truck. =D

Good luck finding your part or a suitable replacement - You just might have to do what we did and make something else work.

And yeah, I see exactly what you're saying about gold. I agree that it's pointless to have a certificate of ownership - you should be holding the real thing. This is why you buy gold and bullion and NOT paper vouchers.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Astonishing... I wonder if machinists will be in higher demand for parts that will now have to be pass for scratch? I'm pretty sire there's a good amount of people who's WHOLE LIVES are based on old cars & trucks. They will want parts eventually...

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by 3n19m470

I doubt it. People will just junk their cars, like I am today.

Older than 1985, there will always be a niche market for people that still have operating vehicles. There's a dead zone from about 1987 to roughly 2000, with the exception of high selling cars (Mustangs, Hondas, trucks).

I have 2 1997 Rivieras, both of which have problems that aren't worth fixing. I'm sure that one day there will be a niche for this car, but I'm not waiting until then for prices to go down. Somehow, almost all little parts (not literally small, mostly relatively unimportant) on the 3800 Series 2 in those cars differ from almost every other of the millions of 3800 Series 2s.

I'd love to keep both, but one just had a fuel pump replaced, then a couple of weeks later the ABS/TC front wheel hub/bearings needed replacing. A few days after that, I started getting a misfire in the #5 cylinder, which I found out on Sunday is because the intake gaskets are done. After roughly half of the vehicle's value has been sunk into it, I give up. What parts I can find are ridiculously expensive (the replacement tail light was $220 alone) or perpetually out of stock. Sorry for the rant.

Anyway, my life revolves mostly around my cars, but after they hit the 12 year mark until they hit that 25 year mark, there's just no real point. Plus with the scrap money I'm buying a 1991 300hp Dodge Shadow. Hell yeah.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Addendum to my previous post: Turned out to be the thermostat/gasket coupled with crappy Duralast plug wires and Autolite copper tips that fused in a few cylinders. Problem solved with MSD wires, Bosch split platinum plugs and a new thermostat/gasket. Two things just went wrong at once.

$54.52 didn't exactly break the bank so I'm happy to keep one of my sleepers.

Maybe I won't give up on "dead year" cars.

edit on 3/20/12 by Magnivea because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join