It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Car Bomb As Panetta Lands In Afghanistan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Car Bomb As Panetta Lands In Afghanistan

news.sky.com

A suspected car bomb attack has taken place at Camp Bastion in Afghanistan, Sky Sources have revealed.

The explosion came as US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta flew into Camp Bastion. It is believed that Mr Panetta was still landing or had landed at the time of the alleged attack, but it is not clear if he was a target.

Sky's Stuart Ramsay said the explosion was caused when a vehicle drove on to the runway either during or after the landing.

Sky Sources have been told the explosion was caused by the driver of the vehicle. An investigation has now been launched into the driver's ident
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The story seems to downplay the timing of the explosion. But I would think that a car bomber driving out on the active runway being used by Leon Panetta at the time is not a coincidence. It was planned and timed. US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta arrived in Kabul as the attempted bombing was taking place. The suspected bomber is alive and being treated for burns.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit: another link: www.thesun.co.uk...

US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta is feared to have been the target of a suicide attack at Camp Bastion today. A vehicle got on to the runway and burst into flames as Mr Panetta's plane landed in Afghanistan this morning.

The drama unfolded just hours ago on the sprawling base — Britain's main outpost in the warzone. Defence supremo Mr Panetta flew into Afghanistan today to quell fears after a US soldier went on the rampage killing 16 innocent Afghans.

But as his plane was landing a vehicle appeared on the runway and subsequently caught fire.

Sources at the scene claim it was a suicide attack — but those allegations have not yet been officially confirmed.

edit on 3/14/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
A random Afghan citizen would not know the EXACT arrival time of Panetta, and which runway the plane was using, unless this particular individual was accurately informed otherwise...Very puzzling indeed, who is trying to wack Panetta?

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Pitty, that would have been a pretty succesful victory for our brothers in Afghanistan taking out a US Defence Secretary. Who knows how long they are going to have to sustain this level of oppression and hardship is anyones guess.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ixtab
Pitty, that would have been a pretty succesful victory for our brothers in Afghanistan taking out a US Defence Secretary. Who knows how long they are going to have to sustain this level of oppression and hardship is anyones guess.

My sentiments exactly. They need to work on this and get it right for next time.
On the other hand a drunk, trigger happy soldier appears to be more effective.

brill

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I think there is a much bigger story in this visit;

In 'highly unusual' move, Marines asked to disarm before Leon Panetta speech

In a highly unusual move, around 200 U.S. Marines were asked to leave their weapons outside the tent where U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta was set to speak during his trip to Afghanistan on Wednesday.

The US leaders don't even trust the men serving them. They dont trust their own countrymen. I really could not believe I was reading this story.

THis is disgusting behaviour. I really cant imagine the Marines were too happy about this.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Hmm, I got excited for nothing...

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

Yeah there seems to be a rise in trust issues within our own military now. So where can we go from here? I see multiple angles, but only a few seem plausible at the moment..

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ixtab

Anyone who would get delight over an individuals death is sick.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

Of course you are right.

I most certainly would not delight over the assassination of a U.S Defence Secretary or anyone else for that matter, including Osama Bin Laden Adolf Hitler even dare I say it George Bush?

Because as you say, celebrating the death of a human being is sick.

My point was though this would have been a most tactical victory for our brothers fighting the oppression in Afghanistan, and I support the troops every day.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Ixtab

edit on 14-3-2012 by Laxpla because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

This is interesting

Considering
1 he needed to know he was comming
2 he needed to know the exact time ( basras pretty busy )
3 he needed to GET ON THE CAMP ?
4 by the looks of it he also needed to get an explosive device on the camp

This will get brushed away but there will be big goings on in the background

As to US marines being told to leave their weapons at the door ?
To be honest I'm shocked they all did
Shocked they were told - but shows they are scared of you ( oh how I wish you would do something )
But not shocked their officers accepted and relayed the order

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
The Sun also reported on this. So far its not been confirmed a suicide attack but it definitely looks that way.

'Suicide attack bid' on US Defence Secretary

www.thesun.co.uk...

US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta is feared to have been the target of a suicide attack at Camp Bastion today.

First of all, I am amazed that anyone was able to break thru the barriers and find themselves on the run way on a military base. Military bases, especially in the ME, are well fortified and have obstacles set up to stop anyone from driving in with a car bomb. So this absolutely amazes me.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neocrusader

2 he needed to know the exact time ( basras pretty busy )

Basra? As in that large city in the south of IRAQ?

How many tours of Afghanistan did you claim to have done there the other day?

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by maskedkhan

Whoops my bad
But a common mistake by me I'll admit
Basra - Bastion
Infact they generally just get called Baz eventually
I'm forever doing it
And to be honest it anoys me to, mucho gracias for pointing it out
I shall however not delete it as to leave a reminder to myself of my stupidity
Humbled

EDIT but I must add although I've been to afghan 6 different years I've also been to Iraq 4 different years
So hopefully you can understand how I may get a little confused at times
Meh life's one big op

edit on 14-3-2012 by Neocrusader because: Added

edit on 14-3-2012 by Neocrusader because: Auto

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Ixtab

So you pack up your AK and take a flight yet or just taking it out on COD MW3?

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

Airlines get upset if you try to bring an AK-47 with you, whether packed or a carry on. In fact, they don't want you having shampoo, lotion, soaps, etc.

edit on 14-3-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

First of all, I am amazed that anyone was able to break thru the barriers and find themselves on the run way on a military base. Military bases, especially in the ME, are well fortified and have obstacles set up to stop anyone from driving in with a car bomb.

It is possible this vehicle was already on the base which had access to the airfield portion. This is one of those stories that came from Left Field, and leaves you scratching your head...

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Reports indicate that there was no 'suicide bomb', a car was stolen and driven at high speed towards the runway then crashed into a ditch.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeissacred

So maybe it was a drunk driver who decided to go for a joy ride, and speed toward the runway and go into a ditch? Being drunk seems to be the excuse for all the mishaps that are going on in Afghanistan currently...
edit on 14-3-2012 by KonquestAbySS because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join