It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

saint patrick

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
hey everyone happy paddy's day, I have been thinking recently as to how saint patrick banished snakes in Ireland since they didn't inhabit my country post ice-age, I have been learning irish since i was 4 and know quite a bit but still nit fluent but I do know that english words that sound similar in english are the same in Irish such as the serpent = nathair
snake = nathair

serpent could mean reptilians

st patrick brought a single god culture

would like to hear your thoughts

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jayo121

Not St Patricks day until the 17th March.

Happy early St Patricks day to you too!

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jayo121

Well man! Happy early Paddy'z Day seein as they're going around! I don't know it nathair sounds like snake but what I do find funny... A coincidence i'm sure N'athair is Irish for father?!

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jayo121
hey everyone happy paddy's day, I have been thinking recently as to how saint patrick banished snakes in Ireland since they didn't inhabit my country post ice-age, I have been learning irish since i was 4 and know quite a bit but still nit fluent but I do know that english words that sound similar in english are the same in Irish such as the serpent = nathair
snake = nathair

Remember that St Patrick comes from a Catholic background. At the time Ireland was predominantly a pagan-esque society. The Catholic referred to any taboo in a manner that is akin to relating it to an animal. Snakes in this regard are again being characterized as evil and dark therefore establishing that paganism is dar and evil. St. Patrick managed to quell paganism in the country for the most part which is where the story comes from.

I could be all wet here but if I remember correctly that is the legitimate interpretation of it.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Banished snakes?

I thought he maybe brought drink to Ireland.

Its just most of the population spend St.Patricks day getting drunk,

Only in Ireland. So you have lent. Supposed to fast for 40days. A lot of people stop drinking. But because its Ireland you can stop half way through the fast and go clean mad on St.patricks day and drink yourself silly. The idea is that you are so sick the next day you wont want to see another drink until the end of lent.

Then you have Easter Sunday. Most people would associate this with the resurection of Christ. But in Ireland its the end of lent and means you can go back on the sauce and spend he day in the pub.

Banished snakes? Hmm , maybe snakes just don't like swimming to a little island in the atlantic ocean?

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Unfortunately he's not around to ask.

And its not St.Patrick's day

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
1st he banished snakes.
Now he's onto livers...

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jayo121
snake = nathair

Did you enjoy the rugby yesterday? I reckon it gave a lot of Irish people a really happy St Paddy's Day.

edit on 18-3-2012 by Sicksicksick because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
St. Patrick didn't banish ALL the snakes. There's still some in the North...

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by HellstormRising

from what i read it is an allusion to the staff of moses, basically patrick represented the staff defeating and eating the staffs of the druids, just like moses did to the priests of egypt.

it was a good myth, but there were never any snakes in ireland, the water made it impossible for snakes to get there.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jayo121

He kicked the Druids out of Ireland ie the Naddreds

"The Druids called themselves the "Naddreds" which is Gaelic for "Serpent Priests." The Druids or Naddreds held the symbol of the Serpent and Dragon in the highest honour as the symbol of royality. It was recorded the Druid Arphaxad refferred to himself as thus: "I am a Serpent."

In the ancient world was a Priesthood called the Kingly Serpents or Naga's in Sanskrit:
"The priests of the Mysteries were symbolized as a serpent, sometimes called Hydra...The Serpent Kings reigned over the earth. It was these Serpent Kings who founded the Mystery schools which later appeared as the Egyptian and Brahmin Mysteries... .The serpent was their symbol...They were the true Sons of Light, and from them have descended a long line of adepts and initiates." - Hall
gblt.webs.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by LUXUS
reply to post by jayo121

He kicked the Druids out of Ireland ie the Naddreds

"The Druids called themselves the "Naddreds" which is Gaelic for "Serpent Priests." The Druids or Naddreds held the symbol of the Serpent and Dragon in the highest honour as the symbol of royality. It was recorded the Druid Arphaxad refferred to himself as thus: "I am a Serpent."

In the ancient world was a Priesthood called the Kingly Serpents or Naga's in Sanskrit:
"The priests of the Mysteries were symbolized as a serpent, sometimes called Hydra...The Serpent Kings reigned over the earth. It was these Serpent Kings who founded the Mystery schools which later appeared as the Egyptian and Brahmin Mysteries... .The serpent was their symbol...They were the true Sons of Light, and from them have descended a long line of adepts and initiates." - Hall
gblt.webs.com...

the problem with that claim is that the author has no evidence they called themselves anything, druids never wrote anything down.

the only sources we have for the druids are outside sources, like christian missionaries and the romans. at least untill the 7th century ce, that is really when we first see the word used.
i've never read any sources that say they called themselves "naddreds" or someone named arphaxad, neither word or name sound celtic.

the word for serpent is "nathair" and arphaxad is a jewish name, why would a druid have a jewish name that isn't translated? if you look up the name though, it seems to be intentional, it means healer, releaser, that seems pretty pat when you are trying to make the claims the author is.

the author on that site has no idea what words in welsh or irish are, he says "naddred" is welsh for serpent but " neidr" is serpent in welsh. same with nathair the word in irish.

i'd be more impressed if the author hadn't fallen into a reverse version of the irish-jewish nonsense and claim the tribe of dan comes from the tuatha de danann. usually i see it the other way around, but the same question people claiming such nonsense should be asked: does dan and danaann mean the same thing in the same context?
they don't, one is the name of a man, the other is the name of a spirit, later goddess of the river danube or at least the river is named for her. the idea that they are connected is absurd.

what should be expected from a website making things up? no less than baseless speculation and fanciful stories about snake priests connected to lucifer.

edit on 22-3-2012 by demongoat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
There are no snakes that live in snow/ice areas. Most of Ireland was affected by the last ice age.
There are no fossil records of snakes in Ireland.

Claiming a 'saint' banished snakes from Ireland is pretty easy when there were none there to begin with.

I, myself, banished all wild platypus from the USA.
Canonize me, I dare you. I did it all in the name of [insert your favorite deity here].
I must be some kind of marvel.

All sarcasm aside, folk tales that have no basis in fact are not enough for any religious adherence.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

edit on 22-3-2012 by Badgered1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join