It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survey shows 1 in 10 men think it's okay to hit a woman

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Survey shows 1 in 10 men think it's okay to hit a woman

news.sympatico.ca

A new survey examining men's attitudes towards domestic violence in Alberta is more than shocking: it's positively frightening.

The survey polled 1,000 men in Alberta, asking them their opinions on issues related to gender, equity, rights, and violence.

...Among the frightening results: almost one out of every ten men surveyed said that it would be okay to physically assault a woman if she angered him.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I'm filing this one under "What the Hades is this world coming to?"

We live in a world where it's okay for corporate leaders and politicians to rip off anyone and everyone - pensioners, the disabled, the poor and the middle class. It's okay to bomb the crap out of other countries if you want their "stuff." It's okay to poison our air and soil and water - for a profit - killing people and disabling the survivors.

When kids and young people see that kind of behavior, and hear these attitudes justified, loudly and publicly...

What else can you expect?

news.sympatico.ca

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I am not the "1"

I think it is NOT ok to hit anybody. Not a woman, Not a child, Not a man. Not another being.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

I never believe these surveys to be honest with you. Wasn't there one the other week saying most (over 50%) men had used or will use rape at one point?

I call total BS on that one and probably on this one as well.

Let me put it another way, how many men do you know that think it is ok to physically hit a woman? I do not know any and i am sure that others out there will be the same as me.

The only qualification i would add to that is that some younger men these days may think it is ok to hit a women if they themselves are being assaulted by that women.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Make you a bet 5 out of 10 women HAVE
hit a man.

If this study was done in islamic cesspool called the middle east, probably
be 10 out of 10 men think it is ok
to stone women, a little smack aint nothing to them

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
1 in 10 is actually not shocking. They should make such a survey in some islam country, i bet it would be more like "8 out of 10" think it's OK.
Besides even in the western world it was more extreme some decades ago, when they Man thought he was the ruler of the household and everybody had to obey him and he was the one making the rules. Back then in the 50's or 60's domestic violence and rape ("It's her compulsory to spread her legs whenever he wants to") was very common.

We can be glad that women learned they have rights, they don't have to obey their husbands or men in general. Even though a lot of guys obviously don't like this (just take a look at all the "feminism is evil" threads here on ATS with guys wishing it was just like in the old days)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
It's not OK to hit anyone just because they made you angry.
However, I don't think women should think they can get away with hitting a man just because they think a guy shouldn't hit them back.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Which proportion of these individuals were from cultures where this is still accepted though? There was a thing on TV about a muslim family and the guy just stomped his foot whenever he wanted his wife to come into the room.... I suspect she'd get a belt if she didn't

Remember some cultures also think it is ok to kill a woman over "honor"

Violence against women has no place in western society, I would be quite happy to see the names of every wife beater published online for the communities to see.
edit on 14-3-2012 by Maponos because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Yes I think it is oke to hit a woman...
I consider it my duty to defend equality in all it's facets.
It's a shame that only one in ten has embraced the concept of equality rights.
...If she thinks it is oke to hit me.

Equality works both ways. I live by this rule. Pulling hair, scratch nails, bitchslap or whatever right back when someone pulls scratches slaps or whatevers me. When those pulscratchslappers begin to scream murder because of that, I simply explain that I would be a pig if I would not show equality towards them.

This ofcourse is all fun and play that got some people rethinking the whole concept of equality. This fresh new sparkling look at equality is not popular by all people, though. Especially when it comes to holding doors for me.

For the record.. I never been in a domestic violence situation. I am not the violent type and despise those who are. It's something I can't understand.

So yes you are right op.. It's despicable, even when it was one in a billion.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maponos

Which proportion of these individuals were from cultures where this is still accepted though?

This was my thinking as well. Not only Muslims but people from Eastern Europe often have this belief as well. My question is, what percentage think it's OK to slap a man around that is slapping a woman around? Bet that's around 8 out of 10. I would be one of the 8.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I know I can knock a large bloke out with one punch (I'm 6' 4" and 21 stone), So I'd probably kill the average woman if I hit her with that much force. I've never hit a woman or child (have hit other blokes but only during my few years working as a bouncer and only as a very last resort). Having said that I would hit a woman if she was attempting to shoot, stab, kill me. Violence is violence, doesn't matter which sex inflicts it. I've been hit numerous times by woman as have (I suspect) a large percentage of the male population.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

I'm filing this one under "What the Hades is this world coming to?"

We live in a world where it's okay for corporate leaders and politicians to rip off anyone and everyone - pensioners, the disabled, the poor and the middle class. It's okay to bomb the crap out of other countries if you want their "stuff." It's okay to poison our air and soil and water - for a profit - killing people and disabling the survivors.

When kids and young people see that kind of behavior, and hear these attitudes justified, loudly and publicly...

What else can you expect?

news.sympatico.ca

what is the racial and cultural breakdown of Alberta?
I cannot find any recent consensus on census later than 2006. Cannot blame it on the Pakis. but Irishman and their whisky,maybe.
Bigger question, whats getting into the women? whisky?

In the 2006 Canadian census, the most commonly reported ethnic origins among Albertans were: 885,825 English (27.2%); 679,705 German (20.9%); 667,405 Canadian (20.5%); 661,265 Scottish (20.3%); 539,160 Irish (16.6%); 388,210 French (11.9%); 332,180 Ukrainian (10.2%); 172,910 Dutch (5.3%); 170,935 Polish (5.2%); 169,355 North American Indian (5.2%); 144,585 Norwegian (4.4%); and 137,600 Chinese (4.2%). (Each person could choose as many ethnicities as were applicable.)[25]

edit on 14-3-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebellender
what is the racial and cultural breakdown of Alberta?

The easiest way to explain it is that Alb. is Canada's Texas.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by rebellender

Like Intrepid says:

The easiest way to explain it is that Alb. is Canada's Texas.

...I don't condone violence. Once though, I did want to kill someone but I talked myself out of it. Actually, some ancient spirits visited me in my dreams and explained that if I killed the guy, I would just release his (very nasty) energy into the world where it would dissipate, contaminating even more people, and he'd just have to start all over figuring everything out, acting out all the way. Apparently it's better to let them live and help them mature. Go figure.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
In Scotland 5 out of 10 women think it's okay to hit a man.

Seriously though, are the women very soft up there? Do they take it because that's the done thing in those parts?
I ask because a lot of men hit just because they get away with it. If a woman picked up the nearest poker and wielded it like a banshee, a lot of those men might think twice.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
And about 9 out of 10 adults think it's okay to hit a child.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
If a Woman hits a Man, Crickets chirps... if Man hits a Women, hell breaks loose.

If I get provoked to a situation like that, i would just leave the place. But that said, i'm not letting a Women hit me either.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I totally misread the title. All I can say is, it's deplorable.

At first, I couldn't understand your point. I wonder if some of the men surveyed made the mistake I did.

I thought you posted " 1 in 10 men think its ok to hit ON a woman....

What we have here.... is a failure, to communicate.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Try this survey in the middle east and you will get near perfect odds for that type of abuse . The statistics you have now very well may include one person in the survey of Islamic belief screwing the survey .

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Azadok

OK, we know about the cultural and religious differences, but what about substance abuse and the drunks? Most of the ones I've ever seen in a hospital setting are the rowdy ones who could have even taken on a lampost. I have also seen many women and a few men who were taken advantage of and bore bruises and scars, but said nothing, fearing it would get worse if they told someone. The problem stilI exists and although it's been discussed more in the past couple of years, the funding cuts to safe shelters tends to want to put the problem on the back burner once again. So thanks for bringing it up, Soficrow.
edit on 15-3-2012 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join