It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Veterns Demand Dem. Party Remove American Flag Altered with Obama Image

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Florida Veterns Demand Democrate Remove Obama Flag

A veterans group arrived late this afternoon with the media in tow and demanded that the second flag be taken down. Don Van Beck, executive director of the Veterans Memorial at Fountain Park asked that the altered flag be removed, explaining that it was in violation of federal flag code. He offered a POW/MIA flag to fly in its place.

Nancy Hurlburt, the Democratic Party Chair for Lake County, said she would research the issue but didn’t take the Obama flag down immediately, prompting Van Beck to declare that they would take the flag down for her.

I spoke with Jim Bradford, the 71-year-old veteran who noticed two American flags flying on the same flag pole while he and his wife were in route to the local old fashioned train depot.
Jim Bradford said this was not a political issue but a discrace to the American Flag. He said he took pictures of the flags and waited until Monday to call the Lake County Democratic Party.
Although this isn't a political issue for Jim Bradford, it is for the local Democratic Party.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I think this sums it up.

Source

(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

I saw the picture, and the very first thing that came to mind was: "All hail Obama." Sickening.
edit on 14-3-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
This happened in my back yard. According to the latest news reports, the Obama flag was flying for several months.
Image Sparks Outrage

The flag, which had been flying for several months without complaint and is available online for $12.95, was later removed by Hurlbert

From the conversation I had with Mr. Bradford, if I looked up "Obama flag", I would find it's on sale for $5.00.

The local newspaper, Daily Commerical posted this article about three hours ago.

"We were given this as a gift," said Nancy Hurlbert, chairwoman of the Lake County Democratic Party. "We are proud of our president, we're proud of the United States, and we felt it was time to display that."

I guess she wanted to kill two birds with one stone? I would have sent the "gift" back or trashed it regardless of which President was displayed on it.

Korean War veteran Don Van Beck of Tavares spearheaded the veterans' visit to the Lake County Democratic Headquarters, where he was joined by a dozen veterans and media on the front steps of the Main Street building.

Jim Bradford, who is also the organizer with the Veterans Memorial at Fountain Park in Leesburg, FL, told me he doesn't think we'll have much more of a problem with this in our area and I hope he's correct.
I gave him my name and number and asked him to phone me if he and the other Vetern's needed to round up people for a cause such as this.
I wonder if any other Democrate Parties are proudly flying this Obama flag?

edit on 14-3-2012 by sweetliberty because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

This is just one example of just how clueless they are of the Constitution, or just how little they regard it.

The Veteran Jim Bradford said he was glad this story went national. I hope everyone takes a look at their local Democratic Party headquarters. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a couple more of these flags found. This is exactly what you said Skewed, it sickening.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by sweetliberty

Obamanauts have no respect for anything. They are the worst of the 60's generation.

I might buy one of these flags though if it's made out of cotton. When TSHTF, we'll be needing reusable TP.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I am a veteran. This practice has been used in the past, and is nothing really new. As I posted in this post

I find it distasteful in the same way I find it distasteful for idiots to fly the flag upside down when not in imminent physical danger.

The flag absolutely should be treated with respect and flown proudly in the proscribed manner. But let not the pot call the kettle black.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

I can't seem to find a local phone number to the local Democrat Party headquarters. I wanted to ask the chairwoman, Nancy Hulbert why she refused the POW-MIA flag. Maybe I'll go there in person tomorrow. I'd really like to ask her about this.

Mr. Bradford seems like a level headed man who's doing a wonderful job in keeping his fellow Vetern friends in line

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I am going to go look later and if I find one, I am going to burn it.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Mr. Bradford mentioned Fox News was going to air this incident around 1pm EST. I just saw a snippet of it and it looks to be interesting. It looks to be "caught on tape".

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Before I say what I have to say, know this: I think the Obama flag is tacky and a bit silly.

However, the U.S. code states that nothing should be placed "upon" a flag, or "attached" to a flag. In this case, nothing has been placed upon or attached to a U.S. flag. In actuality, this is a flag that looks very similar to a U.S. flag, but it is not a U.S. flag that has been added to. We see all sorts of products (clothes, posters, hats, etc.) with stars and strips, or just stripes, or just stars, along with political figures' likenesses and slogans all the time. This one just happens to be in the shape of a flag.

If someone had taken a picture of Obama and tacked it onto an actual U.S. flag, then I believe that would be in violation of the U.S. flag code.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by thepresenttense

Exactly it isn't a US flag despite it's common features. And here you have one that is going out looking to destroy someones private property. And the other holding it up as an example of the Democratic Party not knowing the Constitution even though there is not anything in the Constitution concerning the flag at all. So much for the free speech, individual rights crowd.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I think you are trying to debate semantics.
I see your point though.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Veterans? Who fought for freedom of expression amongst other things? Oh dear... the irony.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana

Thank you for sharing that link. I'm very interested in reading up on it as soon as time permits.
Personally, I don't like the party vs party arguement but I've noticed more and more how the (far) left seems to disregard, disrespect and spin our Constitution and Rights into something it was never intended to be.
While I'm extremely disgusted with the lame excuse Nancy Hurlbert gave, I don't think all Democrates would agree with her.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx

Exactly it isn't a US flag despite it's common features. And here you have one that is going out looking to destroy someones private property. And the other holding it up as an example of the Democratic Party not knowing the Constitution even though there is not anything in the Constitution concerning the flag at all. So much for the free speech, individual rights crowd.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, is on property that ducks claim.... and if one of their important ducks also call it a duck, then it's a duck.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Well, all I did was find some pictures on the internet. Nothing special there, my teenage boy does the same, although the subject matters are a little different...

My real point is to say why are you and the other posters so up in arms over this? Does this silly flag being flown in (pardon me) an obscure corner of the country really mean all that much? If this makes you angry, I have to ask how you feel about the steady and relentless way ALL the elected leaders in the last 31 years have with one hand taken away our liberties, made it sooo much more difficult to become individually independent, and put in place so many more unnecessary statutes and regulations while taking bribes from the corporations to allow them unrestricted violation of not only the environment but their employees, sub-contractors and private land owners as well with the other hand?

All that, and THIS is what you get upset about? Really?

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana

This obscure part of the country is just as important and beautiful as any other obscure part of this country

I hate making threads so I try not to make many, but this is just another idiotic situtation that has happened in my back yard. Don't try to back the sweetliberty persona into a box. You don't know me or what I will do for my fellow man or woman.

I appreciate you for not sweating this, but what you might think is "silly", other people obviously think of it as serious.
The American flag was altered and disgraced by a local political party. Spinning it into something else is just a way people argue so they aren't labeled. I don't apologize for taking a stand that comes from the heart.

I respect you and the other veterns who risk everything for us. I couldn't do what you all do, thank you so very much, you and Old Corp and the other Jarheads in the article.

edit on 14-3-2012 by sweetliberty because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I'm offended by it, but not because Obama is on it. It's because anyone is on it. I'd be just as offended if Thomas Jefferson's face was there. It has the appearance of elevating one person to a special status above the whole of America.

/TOA
edit on 14-3-2012 by The Old American because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Well there's is one flag i wouldn't care got burned the simple fact only 2 bit dictators put their face on a flag.

There is a reason it's called the stars and stripes and it not meant to be advertising for the Democratic party many presidents have come before Obama many will come after him.

The left is arrogant the flag is proof of this and it is disrespectful.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

America hasn't had a decent leader in a long time. I'm seeing some of my Democrate neighbors practically worshipping a man who leads from behind

I'm sure the Chairwoman is quite intelligent but I personally think she left her intelligence by the road side when it came to this flag.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join