It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not only are we allowed to burn it, we can't even display it!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature
Some people love that little piece of cloth and what it represents. I just love it enough to not put a baseball bat upside your head.

Is it ok to urinate on it? I'm not sure if I would even say that burning it was "ok", but people do all sorts of wierd things to get a message across. Doing something outrageous is usually the thing that gets the attention, and exposure is what people with something to say want, from my experience.

The questions should be, should it be allowed to urinate on it. The answer is Yes. How would you even prosecute something like that if there was a law? Who knows.

But who, exactly, are you going to "not put a baseball bat" to? You have the right to love it, as others have the right to hate it (or whatever parts they do hate). That's the bane of the system created.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
KrazyJethro, when I said that bit about the baseball bat it was in reference to the person who wanted to crack open someones skull for burning it.

In my mind, that was just a stupid way to solve a problem. It's one of those statements that's full of bravado and bluster, and just a gut reaction, not a well thought out response.

Burning it ain't illeagal, assault with a deadly weapon is.
Burning it ain't illeagal, urinating in public is.

Edit for sp

[edit on 10/3/2004 by phreak_of_nature]

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
For many people, love of country (and its symbols) is up there in stature with love of family, religious beliefs, and even such things as favorite sports teams.

Would you burn or urinate on someone's family album? Their cross, prayer rug, etc.? Or even the symbol of their favorite sports team? Of course not. Well, the same applies to a country's national flag. It may not be illegal, but it is rude. I would never dream of burning a U.S. flag in public, or the flag of any other country for that matter. Even flags of that which I consider evil (such as an old Nazi Germany flag) I would dispose of in the proper manner. (And outside of movie/TV show props, I'd just hope that no more were made!)

It's about respecting and being sensitive to others, not making a political statement. If you want to make a political statement, that's what books, magazines, websites (like ATS), radio shows, etc. are for. It doesn't have to involve the destruction of property of any kind.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I dont think anyone on this board that has read my posts would question my love for this country and the Ideals it was founded on. I have even been accused of worshiping the Constitution and thats not far from the truth.

That having been said I would rather see the flag burned or urnitated on than to see the IDEALS it stands for burned or urinated on.

Some times freedom of speech makes you mad, its susposed to. But that is what makes this country great.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
What I don't understand is why they just don't prosecute flag burners under other laws.....they have no safety etc...maybe arson...that way once they bite a pillow or two they might think twice instead of being morons creating an unsafe public situation. one which they will probably sue the government for not stopping them from creating when they burn themselves. I personally support their right to burn the flag, and also support my right to pop�em one, when I�ve heard enough of their speech. however i don't think the stadium had any reason or basis for their actions...just another part of the vast left wing conspiracy.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
The flag is just a piece of cloth, the metal is the pole. The emotions or whatever you may associate with it are in you, not the flag. They are you. The emotions or whatever others may associate with it are them.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature
In my mind, that was just a stupid way to solve a problem. It's one of those statements that's full of bravado and bluster, and just a gut reaction, not a well thought out response.

Ah, again we see eye to eye. I couldn't agree more, and honestly I find violence (and those who advocate it whimsically) to be just a waste of time in general.

But such is the way of humans.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I knew I liked you

I was pretty sure we saw I2I on this.
It's just that sometimes my wit is drier then half the counties in Texas.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join