It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US issued ultimatum to Iran via Russia

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
There is no legal basis for US to attack Iran even if they are building a nuke. Why was North Korea or Pakistan not attacked when they added nukes to their arsenal.

Why should people in the region suffer because US has gotten a disease of "addiction to belligerence". Psychopaths!

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by bitfreak

It does... Currently Iran is enriching at 3-%.
Power generating reactors require 1%-5% +/-
Medical research reactors require 12%-19% +/-
Iran does not have the infrastructure that requires medical enrichment to the max point.
Also, 20% enrichment is the baseline for the Highly enriched uranium portion. 85% is the standard used for nuclear weapons however 20% is enough to create a nuclear detonation.
I will try and find the article and post it. In it Ahmadinejad stated he duid not understand the concern over enrichment, stating they had the ability to reach 85%.

edit on 14-3-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

I agree. Look into the type of Reactor and the company (Siemens) that had installed the original one.
That might give you the answer to the percentage of enrichment.
edit on 14-3-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I wonder, is Iran simply doing this in being defiant against the West with some big brother help (Russia) just to see how far a nation will be pushed before intervention or do they truly need this Nuclear power?

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

I say a little bit of both. Iran's leaders are stubburn so I would say they are doing this just to piss off the West. I think they believe the west doesn't have the balls to pull off an attack on them...But I guess we will soon find out.

...Maybe America doesn't at this present time, because of all the other crap we're involved in, but Israel certainly will attack. They made that clear.

-SAP-
edit on 14-3-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
reply to post by CALGARIAN

I say a little bit of both. Iran's leaders are stubburn so I would say they are doing this just to piss off the West. I think they believe the west doesn't have the balls to pull off an attack on them...But I guess we will soon find out.

...Maybe America doesn't at this present time, because of all the other crap we're involved in, but Israel certainly will attack. They made that clear.

-SAP-
edit on 14-3-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

Find out they will. A squadron of F22s can virtually loiter around in Iran's airspace for hour at a time and bomb, return and repeat bomb the chosen sites without Iranians being able to find out what is hitting them again and again.

That is why US has become so belligerent and picking off nations that have no substantial air defense capabilities. Other than legal basis in UN or some asymmetric response here and there, Iran has no defense against the US air power.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by spy66
reply to post by Xcathdra

It will start out with air and missile strikes but it will go further than that. Iran will retaliate against US bases and other locations in the region. This is not going to be a one way missile exchange.

So what you are saying is diplomacy will fail? You have not even given the recent diplomatic overtures a chance to work yet, yet you are for peace? Respectfully your position doesn't make sense to me unless im misunderstanding you.

Yes, diplomacy will fail. It will fail because the EU/US wont let Iran be a sovereign nation. It will fail because the EU/US have given them selves the right to dictate policy on other sovereign nations.

Iran would probably be allowed to have nuclear energy/weapons if they were under EU/US dictatorship. "This becomes a dictatorship when other nations can dictate policies on a sovereign nation" Because its being done by force. Its a one way dictatorship.

Many people dont realise the full extent of what will take place if the US attacks/bombs Iran's nuclear power plants. Most people only think about Iran's retaliation, But can you think of one major thing that will happen if Iran's nuclear power plants are bombed? Probably not. Because your mind is only on military capability.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

I can think of many things that would happen........
What were you implying?

Radiation? seems obvious though

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by victor7
There is no legal basis for US to attack Iran even if they are building a nuke. Why was North Korea or Pakistan not attacked when they added nukes to their arsenal.

Why should people in the region suffer because US has gotten a disease of "addiction to belligerence". Psychopaths!

Pakistan, India, N. Korea - They are not signatories to the NPT treaty, meaning they are not bound / prohibited from developing nuclear weapons.

Iran, being a signatory to the treaty, is obligated to allow inspections, declare all facilities that are part of the nuclear program, whether its a power generating station or where uranium is enriched etc etc etc.

If you remeber back in the day N. Korea was very much in the news because of their nuclear weapons program. The moment North Korea withdrew from the NPT, diplomatic contact / pressure took on a whole new stance.

Finally you guys really need to quit being so myopic in your view. The US is NOT the only nation who has issues with Iran. The EU, Asia, UN, Middle East countries, all have expressed issue with Iran and the direction its going with its nuclear program.

In case you did not notice there are a multitude of UN resolutions that sanctions Iran because of its program and unwillingness to abide by the treaty obligations. China and Russia both supported the sanctions, so to just single out the US, when in fact its more than just the US is nothing more than a distraction technique.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Which part? where Iran accuses seimens of being behind the stuxnet virus or am I missing something?

Even the newer generation power generating plants require a lower enrichment levels...

Iran has no need for 20% enrichment, let alone the ability to enrich up to 80%, for a supposedly peaceful nuclear generation program. Iran tries to play it off by stating its for medical research, but again, the max level for medical is 19% +/- with Irans current infrstructure needing no where near the upper end of that level.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
in a way I see this as an ultimatum to Russia and China as well, all the way down the line to anyone else who thinks they can or will in the near future, oppose the United States directly.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
I wonder, is Iran simply doing this in being defiant against the West with some big brother help (Russia) just to see how far a nation will be pushed before intervention or do they truly need this Nuclear power?

In the past Iran (government) has stated their reason for needing nuclear energy programs, with the top of that reason being its their right as a nation to develop it, and I agree with them on that point, as does the rest of the world.

Some people have suggested Iran has no need since its literally floating on top of massive oil fields, with Iran finding larger fields within the last month or two. Iran is in essence doing what other countries only talk about - They are developing their energy sector with emphesis placed on sources other than oil / natural gas, so I wont fault them for being intelligent when it comes to long term viability.

Whether or not Iran needs a nuclear energy program is ultimately up to Iran. How that nuclear program develops is up to Iran and the UN / IAEA / NPT per the treaty they voluntarily accepted and ratified.

The issue is their enrichment levels and their ability to create a nuclear weapon.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by spy66

So you are blaming the west for Irans intetional actions?

The West has stated time and time and time again Iran has a right to nuclear energy, and that has always been the stance. The issue comes from Iran refusing to comply with their treaty obligations for the IAEA / NPT.

Iran, by refusing to comply, has created this mess, not the US / EU or anyone else.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join