It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Utensils or Hand?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty sure almost everyone ate food with their hands, but did anyone find eating food with your hands tastes better than using utensils? Is it a mental thing? Back to nature kinda behaviour?

I always found that eating food with your hands tastes better than using forks or spoons or sporks.. but thats me... what do you guys think?

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
It does taste better- you don't have to taste the metal of the utensil!

I especially hate the taste of real silverware- even when it's spotlessly polished. Stainless tastes bad but not as bad as silver.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by MzMorbid
It does taste better- you don't have to taste the metal of the utensil!

I especially hate the taste of real silverware- even when it's spotlessly polished. Stainless tastes bad but not as bad as silver.

True, sometimes the touch of something not edible or "hard" while eating kinda makes overall experience bad.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

any metal put in your mouth must oxidise to some degree,especially if you add a vinegar or salt element,my everyday cutlery (nice,plain stainless) does stain despite dishwasher and occassional hand washes.does anyone dispute chinese food seems to taste different on chopsticks.i can use chopsticks but not as fast as i would like,lol.chinese food is usually bought when in a busy busy hurry.so a fork shovels it better....did you know the serbs invented the fork,the rest of europe was using spoons.the east was using chopsticks and the non christian middle east was using the fingers of their non bum wiping hand.i am quite glad to have embraced all of these implements in a very multicultural fashion.choose your tool..eat your dinner.
when i was 24 i ran away from home,to all intents and purposes.was engaged and cohabiting and ran away.lived in the car for a month.was a nice car,i emptied my savings account so was not wanting for anything.it was also the height of summer and if i fancied a hotel i checked in.just did what i wanted and went where i wanted.in hindsight it was the best month of my life...why do i tell this story....after about a week i was sick of fast food and bought a camping stove and pot...i forgot to buy a spoon or fork.had to eat the heinz beans and sausages (beans and franks i think to any u,s, readers) with a bent can lid,it was lovely....but i only did it once.lol

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

It just depends on the food, I'm from Texas so chicken, ribs, steak, brisket, sausage, etc will always taste better with the hands. It's just not normal to not get messy sometimes lol. But if i'm eating pasta, potatoes, soup etc yea i'll wanna use the utensils.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blairc56

It just depends on the food, I'm from Texas so chicken, ribs, steak, brisket, sausage, etc will always taste better with the hands. It's just not normal to not get messy sometimes lol. But if i'm eating pasta, potatoes, soup etc yea i'll wanna use the utensils.

Sausage, Bacon, i always eat them with hands at home... of course when i'm outside i try to adjust to the norm...eating bacon strips with utensils is stupid lol, i never enjoy it eating like that, sadly i have to when i'm at work....

I understand certain things will require utensils... i saw 2 girls eating chicken wings with fork and knife... and this was a busy restaurant and we were(and many others) waiting in line to sit at a table.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I always eat my sushi the traditional way, by hand. I dislike how they cheap wooden chopsticks feel in my mouth, not to mention you occasionally get a splinter. It also allows you to properly control the amount of soy sauce you put on the piece.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

I have never found a difference with taste to be honest, I am more towards the opinion that it is a mental thing. I suppose that the moisture from your hands has salt contained within it which might effect the taste

Foods such as pizza, garlic bread etc were made for the hands in my opinion, ive watched a few people in my time eating pizza with a knife and fork which looks awkward to say the least.

I do have to say that I prefer cutlery for most dishes in a restaurant, it is more to do with manners more than anything else. I was once told by my grandfather that eating in a nice restaurant without using cutlery is like farting on a first date with the girl of your dreams, you can do it, but if you want to set a good impression, you don't.

edit on 15-3-2012 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

I have never found a difference with taste to be honest, I am more towards the opinion that it is a mental thing. I suppose that the moisture from your hands has salt contained within it which might effect the taste

Foods such as pizza, garlic bread etc were made for the hands in my opinion, ive watched a few people in my time eating pizza with a knife and fork which looks awkward to say the least.

I do have to say that I prefer cutlery for most dishes in a restaurant, it is more to do with manners more than anything else. I was once told by my grandfather that eating in a nice restaurant without using cutlery is like farting on a first date with the girl of your dreams, you can do it, but if you want to set a good impression, you don't.

So you are saying its because of the manners mainly not because "eating it with the cutlery is the way"? the social norm....

In some countries i noticed, you are ALLOWED to SLURP soup, but its frowned up in SOME western establishments.... i think that is retarded...

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I do not mind what other people do, I myself eat pizza, chicken wings, burgers etc with my hands.

I have been asked to use a knife and fork with things like pizza before (long time ago) by one of my more snobby family members. Ive also had a lecture about holding a fork in the left hand and knife in the right whilst growing up too, one side of my family has a very high opinion of themselves if that makes sense.

I do think it is a lot more to do with western etiquette than it is to do with it being natural when it reaches a point that is so formal you are uncomfortable sitting at a table eating. Anyways, I think im jumping away ahead of what the topic was even asking, its just something that annoys me.

I still to this day, cannot go into a restaurant and feel completely comfortable eating with my hands because of the lectures I used to get in my younger days, if that makes sense

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Eating pizza with a knife and/or fork is just plain wrong IMO.

Some things are just meant to be picked up and shoveled into your mouth.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   

edit on 17-3-2012 by missvicky because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join