It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shared Dream (odd experience I've had)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I haven't ever really discussed this outside of the person with whom I shared it with, but I shall tell you about my fairly strange dream. So a few years ago I was talking to this girl, and one night after we were done talking, I had what I thought was a pretty weird dream. She was in it, and we traveled to Egypt. While in Egypt we were in some hotel room, or something. All I can remember is it was a room. I'll leave some details aside, but as we were in the room somebody I knew just enters the room randomly. After that, I don't remember much else.

Now, when I woke up the next morning I remember thinking how strange (and random) that dream was. So much so, that I felt compelled to send a text to this girl to tell her about this weird dream I had that she was in. She responded saying that she also had a dream and I was in it, and how much of a coincidence that was (not realizing we had the same dream piratically). Anyways, she asks what my dream was about and I start to tell her about it, and she starts saying how she had that same exact dream. The creepy part was literally listening to another person fill in details that happened in your own dream.

For example, the person who walked in the room was a friend from my one class (7th period in fact). The person who walked in her dream was a friend from her 7th period class. We haven't really talked about it much since then. She seemed a bit...uneasy about it. I've been more interested in how. Is it possible to "share" a dream with another person?

Opinions, experiences, etc. All is welcome, just looking for some discussion.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Indecent

I had the exact same thing happen to me with a girl who liked me. It was such a weird feeling having her describe parts of the dream I hadn't even mentioned. I think there is certainly some sort of truth to shared dream states, and I would be extremely interested in knowing the actual science behind it, how our brains are able to connect in such a way. The mechanisms that make that possible must be mind-bogglingly complex, but it shows me that our minds are all truly connected, there is a global consciousness and we can each tap into it when necessary.
edit on 14-3-2012 by bitfreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by bitfreak

I had the exact same thing happen to me with a girl who liked me. It was such a weird feeling having her describe parts of the dream I hadn't even mentioned. I think there is certainly some sort of truth to shared dream states, and I would be extremely interested in knowing the actual science behind it, how our brains are able to connect in such a way. The mechanisms that make that possible must be mind-bogglingly complex, but it shows me that our minds are all truly connected, there is a global consciousness and we can each tap into it when necessary.

I also think there is more to conciousness. I experienced something similar (although not exactly a shared dream) a few years ago when i was in hospital for a sleep study, had the strangest dream about a close friend i hadn't seen in several months, nothing strange about the dream itself, but the realism of it was creepy. We just seemed to be talking to each other and asking what we'd been upto in the past few months.

I'd have fallen asleep in the hospital around 10pm that night. So, the next day my parents come in to visit me for an hour or so, they tell me my friend phoned last night at 11pm to ask how i was and what i'd been upto recently. I went pale faced as they told me that. The strange thing was i had woken up in the night (around 2 hours later) and couldn't go back to sleep.

It almost seemed like a shared thinking of some kind, assuming i had this dream the moment she decided to phone me. Just thought i'd mention it, as i hear alot of people talk about having shared dreams, and as it is, dreams are created from subconscious thoughts, maybe it's not just dreams that can be shared, but also generic thoughts while asleep or awake? Could be the same phenomena as you described.

I would not be surprised at all if our minds can inter-connect in some way, as far-out as it sounds... i think it's really happening at times. Maybe it's induced by emotion? I always hear about these cases involving close friends or partners most of the time, and obviously emotion is stronger when thinking about those people.

Strange stuff.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

maybe it's not just dreams that can be shared, but also generic thoughts while asleep or awake? Could be the same phenomena as you described.
I have no doubt that telepathic phenomena works based on the same type of mechanisms as shared dreams. It is my firm belief that some time in the future we will discover how it works, all we need to do is think outside of the box, not confined to the little box we have created for ourselves.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by bitfreak

It is an odd feeling to say the least. Link I think you'll find that a good read.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Your experience is peculiar and quite fascinating. They discovered the brain has 'mirror neurons' some time ago which, when in someone's company that we bond well with, means that we subconsciously emulate that person's movements in such a way that it could not be spotted with the naked eye. i.e. if your companion lifts their glass to have a drink your muscles emulate those movements but do so imperceptibly.

Mirror Neurons

I had a similarly weird experience but my friend acted on it. I had known him since we were 12 but we hadn't seen each other for 20 years. Shortly after meeting again I was in my house alone having the strangest dream, part of which was seeing his face very clearly winking at me (like a video). A short time later, on the same night, and at 2 in the morning there was a knock on the door and it was my friend looking rather perplexed. h
He said 'how did you do that?' 'Do what?' 'I was lying in bed and I saw your name all over the wall and I had to come see if you were ok'. (he came from the next town).

It's an experience I cherish and will never forget.

Isn't life incredible.
edit on 14-3-2012 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I dreamed one morning, that I was at the local convenience store, checking a lottery ticket on the ticket checker, where you put the bar code under a red lazer to see if you've won, and I WON, BIG MONEY, like over 10 million, maybe even 20 million (even more than Lotto 649 pays out), and later that day, I found out that at about that same time, a local patron of the store won the LottaMax 50,000,000 jackpot, and had checked his ticket in the same way, and it read in his case, 50 million. That's one HECK of a coincidence.

I can only explain it by what are called morphic field resonances. Check out the work of Ruppert Sheldrake for a type of scientific explanation for such things.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

That's really quite fascinating. Did he ever mention what was happening prior to him seeing your name appear on his wall? I've never heard of something like that happening.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Perhaps you were taking a peek into the life of another? If you've seen the movie "I Heart Huckabees", the blanket plays into this very well. No matter how different we think we are from one another, we're all the same.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   

He simply said the shadows and light play on the walls made my name on whichever wall he looked and however he turned his head.

There was definitely some out of the ordinary connection between my lucid dream (which was frightening me) and (what was probably) his dream. We talked about it for years afterwards whenever life became mundane and we wanted to remind ourselves of the magical nature of existence. It was a strangely motivating experience.

I can't explain it. Nor can I explain your experience -perhaps they are evidence of Jung's universal consciousness. These experiences are a reminder that we still have so much to learn about ourselves. I like that - it keeps life interesting

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
To know the relationship and feelings towards the girl would be interesting.

Maybe you are a couple in a parallel life? (Well i say that half serious half jokingly...)

I would also examine the dream what emotions/feelings etc. you had in the dream...sometimes what you feel/experience in a dream cold be more significant/important than what you "see" in reality since "in reality" we often repress all kinds of stuff.

I think if this really happened and you did indeed share a POSITIVE dream....you should not have disregarded this..maybe it was a sign in some way in regards to you and that girl...hint..hint...

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

This is more or less exactly how I've been feeling about my experience as well. It definitely leaves you with a sort of awestruck feeling, the universe is a truly magnificent place.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

Flexy, I would have liked to believe that this girl and I were "meant to be", and I even did for a little while, but it just won't ever be. At the time of the dream though, we were both sharing pretty strong feelings for one another. Trust me, I did not disregard the dream whatsoever. However, I don't feel that this was a quote, unique experience in anyway. I believe that if you truly become close with somebody, there has to be some sort of subconscious connection that goes far deeper than our perception of reality. Then again, it could have all been a huge coincidence, but I like to believe in the prior.

edit on 15/3/12 by Indecent because: (no reason given)

top topics

join