It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8 Year Old Girl Almost Dies When Classmates Gun Accidentally Goes Off.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
And here we have another incident for gun control advocates to use to strip away the second amendment.

www.washingtonpost.com... 3/gIQAU5GoAS_story.html

SEATTLE — An 8-year-old girl nearly died when a classmate accidentally discharged a gun he brought to school, her doctor said Tuesday, describing the trajectory of a bullet that narrowly missed the child’s vital organs but tore a liver and a major vein.

Police say Amina’s classmate, a 9-year-old boy, took a gun he found at his mother’s home and brought it to their elementary school in Bremerton, where it accidentally discharged when he slammed his backpack on a desk on Feb. 22. He struck a plea deal with prosecutors and was sentenced to probation and counseling, and ordered to write a letter of apology to Amina and testify against his mother.

The boy’s mother, Jamie Lee Chaffin, and her boyfriend, Douglas L. Bauer, were charged Tuesday with third-degree assault, a felony.

At least the parents will be charged and prosecuted.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
And here we have another incident for gun control advocates to use to strip away the second amendment.

www.washingtonpost.com... 3/gIQAU5GoAS_story.html

SEATTLE — An 8-year-old girl nearly died when a classmate accidentally discharged a gun he brought to school, her doctor said Tuesday, describing the trajectory of a bullet that narrowly missed the child’s vital organs but tore a liver and a major vein.

Police say Amina’s classmate, a 9-year-old boy, took a gun he found at his mother’s home and brought it to their elementary school in Bremerton, where it accidentally discharged when he slammed his backpack on a desk on Feb. 22. He struck a plea deal with prosecutors and was sentenced to probation and counseling, and ordered to write a letter of apology to Amina and testify against his mother.

The boy’s mother, Jamie Lee Chaffin, and her boyfriend, Douglas L. Bauer, were charged Tuesday with third-degree assault, a felony.

At least the parents will be charged and prosecuted.

This happened almost a month ago bro. I live in the area where it happened.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Guns: really? only weak people who can't fight want guns, that and power maniacs. If you using it for sport then keep it locked away and secure......
edit on 14-3-2012 by definity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by definity
Guns: really? only weak people who can't fight want guns, that and power maniacs. If you using it for sport then keep it locked away and secure......
edit on 14-3-2012 by definity because: (no reason given)

Ok, give me your address and I'm going to put you into a fighting ring with someone dosed up on PCP. He starts with a knife, you have to walk to a kitchen, open a drawer, and obtain a knife.

His instructions are to kill you for money to buy more drugs. I have a feeling you'll want a gun pretty quick.

That being said, I'm glad the woman in question is being prosecuted. If you have children and a gun, it needs to be out of the ability of the child to reach, unloaded, and locked.
edit on 14-3-2012 by Holodomor because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
The kid should have had the safety on.

He needs proper firearms training.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Reply to post by Holodomor

Ah the old fear weapon. Suppose a PCP addict breaks into your house with a knife and demands money for drugs....you shoot but your gun is jammed....what do you do??? Exactly.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

edit on 14-3-2012 by acmpnsfal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Granted, I think he was 9 years old...I think 12-13 is the appropriate age to properly train your child if you have firearms in your home, but he definitely should have had some education, I agree.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
Reply to post by Holodomor

Ah the old fear weapon. Suppose a PCP addict breaks into your house with a knife and demands money for drugs....you shoot but your gun is jammed....what do you do??? Exactly.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

edit on 14-3-2012 by acmpnsfal because: (no reason given)

Well, having a gun certainly increases your chances of survival, you may not even have to shoot, the agressor may think twice after looking at the barrel of your gun, or end up like this:

www.kfor.com...

Alternatively, you can end up like this:

www.democraticunderground.com...

Just like everything on this world, there are good and bad things about it, it depends on how it is used, or misused, i knife can also kill people, or a rock, or bare hands, right?

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Holodomor

Granted, I think he was 9 years old...I think 12-13 is the appropriate age to properly train your child if you have firearms in your home, but he definitely should have had some education, I agree.

We learned at around age 6-7 in my house. By nine I shot my first 12 gauge. (Almost knocked me over) And at that age, I knew never to point a gun at someone, never to take the safety off unless I was ready to shoot, and to always make sure the chamber/magazine was emptied before transporting it.

If you are going to have guns in the house, teach your kids some respect for them. I'm a grown man now, I don't even own any myself. But it doesn't mean other people shouldn't be able to, but if they do, they need to teach gun safety to the kids in the household. If they are unable to, then they probably shouldn't own guns.

edit on 14-3-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Did they assault common sense by letting their young son steal their gun and take it to school? I just can't see where they should be blamed except for being careless with their gun storage, and possibly discipline efforts.
edit on 14-3-2012 by bitfreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

I couldn't agree more. Telling a kid "No" is how you get them to do something and make them think it was their idea.....or learn a hard lesson in child psychology.

Education means if they find a gun, they know how to make it safe or handle it without shooting themselves or others. I believe it's more than a good idea when kids are in the house, it's a duty for a gun owning parent. (My son had his first trip to the range at about 6...about the time I figured curiosity may start to be a problem.)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Holodomor

We learned at around age 6-7 in my house. By nine I shot my first 12 gauge. (Almost knocked me over) And at that age, I knew never to point a gun at someone, never to take the safety off unless I was ready to shoot, and to always make sure the chamber/magazine was emptied before transporting it.

If you are going to have guns in the house, teach your kids some respect for them. I'm a grown man now, I don't even own any myself. But it doesn't mean other people shouldn't be able to, but if they do, they need to teach gun safety to the kids in the household. If they are unable to, then they probably shouldn't own guns.

edit on 14-3-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

Agreed.

Unfortunately I don't have children and didn't learn to handle firearms until I was 15-16 due to having an overly protective mother (I moved to live with my father on a farm, and immediately learned within a year), so I really didn't have much a line to say what age to give training, it was just a guess. I have to say that your logic makes sense.

As for the PCP burglar issue, I think Kaifan summed it up.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I think either everyone should have a gun and learn to use it properly or that absolutely no ones carries gun, not the police, not the army.

That kid shouldn't be having a gun and if he did, it should be with the safety on, like said previously.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The kid should have had a holster for that thing. And why in the hell does a kid need counseling for an accidental discharge?

top topics

join