It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange skies tonight.....

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ahnggk
A nuclear explosion in space will produce the same effect

en.wikipedia.org...

If solar activity could mimic nuclear explosion then it's your best bet the cause.

The second photo from that link was more what it was like in my area...

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I am on the east coast as well, Nova Scotia. And I was just mentioning to a friend last night how odd the evening skies have been here the last few days, even at sunset, the double layered fast moving clouds were a bit 'odd' and I just happened to notice it while on my deck. I'm in the sticks so normally it's pitch black at night with a ton of stars, lately it's like it's dusk versus night..odd indeed.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com... check out my photo Im on the east coast of the US the sky was a bright orange the other night. Got a real great snapshot of it.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Brandon88

NASA is launching five rockets up today, perhaps that has something to do with those. I've seen few times rocket plumes from very very long distance (1000 km+), and they carry similarities to these ones.

www.space.com...
edit on 14-3-2012 by deckdel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
If it helps at all, Auroras are not bright enough to illuminate. In fact they are almost indiscernible anywhere where there are a lot of city lights and light pollution. They will not light up the clouds as they are much higher and do not generate enough light to penetrate clouds or even a haze.

The photos you see are long exposures and generally enhanced after the fact. They are not as bright as they look in the photo's. The reason some photos look so bright is the exposure time and the light is generally from the Moon. The longer the exposure the brighter the terrain appears in the photo and the brighter the Auroras look.

To see them here we have to drive out away from town. Mostly we miss them due to almost constant clouds.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Okay, so that rules out the northern lights.

It just has to be light pollution. Some late-winter clouds with ice particles making them unusually reflective to light coming from local cities and towns. Maybe the ice particles could even align a certain way and act as a prism, reflecting only one color from the spectrum.

It's down to that or the nuclear space war in my mind. If we start hearing about failing satellites in the news (apparently one third of all satellites were crippled by the radiation from the Starfish Prime test explosion in 1962), we'll know.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I'm not sure this is anything new. I can recount a bunch of times, years ago, where the sky was orange. I usually associated this with thunderstorms. This year, winter in Canada has been strange to say the least so who knows. Maybe this is a sign of an early spring!

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
there are 2 threads on this and i replied to the wrong one. i meant to reply to this new one. here's what i said on the other:

i've been looking up possible causes that don't relate to "light pollution" (more specifically "sky glow"). i think it's likely atmospheric and you're seeing it more often because of a change in the atmosphere.

link to simple explanation: scienceblogs.com...

"The atmosphere is better at scattering blue light away, which means that blue light gets dispersed all throughout the sky pretty easily. But red light is more likely to pass directly through, which is why things appear redder on the horizon: more of the bluer light gets scattered away, while the red light comes (mostly) through to you."

this leads me to believe the atmosphere is different than it used to be and now you're seeing the red light all the way though the night instead of just after sunset.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Brandon88

nice job with that picture

I got to get me a better camera lol.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sweetstuff

Tonight it is snowing, the clouds are a tiny bit illuminated, but not orange, not bathing the snow in an orange tint. They are a normal grey that clouds usually are. Also can only see maybe halfway across my property.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by deckdel

I see they all seem to be around north carolina. Not sure if that would affect all the way up here. It's about a 20 hour drive north of NY, it is pretty far north.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Ok, not aurora, I have never even seen them other than photos. I had no clue about them from real experience

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Symer

I guess it is possible, weather is always crazy here in march. I figure I would have seen something before though, I have been here about 5 years now. Nearest "city" is moncton, it's about a 45 minute drive away down the highway, at 80+ mph.

Maybe the clouds were unusually low. Who knows

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae

Could have been an effect from all the solar activity, enhancing it. Seems to be normal tonight.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

likewise, weird!!!!

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
i live in moncton, and one night walking home after work. closing a restaurant around midnight 1am. i also saw this one night, a it cloudy with an orange glow behind it comming from the collissium area over up to evergreen area. as i was standing on mapleton and carson drive intersection. it was very weird i knew it wasnt the moon becasue i couls see the moon and i know it wasnt the sun. there is a search light., warning beacon near the college but it wasnt that. still waiting to hear that groaning nose mysterious sound from mother earth. and there were some earthquakes in mc adam this past week, they called it an earthquake swarm? maybe earthquake lights.maybe the last time i saw those lights there was that earthquake in quebec area... hummm to badd i cant pinpoint when i saw those lights . between nov 2011, and maybe a month ago. alright i hope this helps.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Nice to see someone else from my general area in this madhouse

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

there are a few of us! east coasters stick close together!! wanna be my ats friend, lol

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
I am, it's a 15 minute rollerblade trip for me to the nearest ocean beach

Take a trip to the beach on the next night you see the glow. I will bet that the glow will not be visible looking out to sea, since there is no light pollution out there.

<< 1  2    4 >>

join