It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chase's Law and Spice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I thought I would bring awareness of this, as I just learned of it. Stumbled across this petition to outlaw the synthetic drug "Spice," which is commonly sold in smoke shops and online.

Too many people are dying of this synthetic drug known as "Spice". Recently a young teen named Chase Burnett from Peachtree City, GA was found dead early on a Sunday morning. It was said that he had smoked Spice and ended up drowning in his hot tub later. Health officials report the following side effects of K2 or Spice:
Elevated blood pressure and heart rate
Vomiting
Extreme anxiety and paranoia
Hallucinations
Tremors
Seizures
Chest pain

Although I have heard of this substance, I decided to look into it a little further upon learning of this unfortunate tragedy. Apparently Missouri and Arkansas have already banned sales of the "synthetic cannabis." That term is a misnomer, as the main high-producing ingredients of Spice, JWH-018 and others, are chemical compounds that activate the cannabinoid receptor system; But these chemicals were created for laboratory research and work in a much different way than natural marijuana.

According to Jahan Marcu, one of a the few cannabinoid scientists in America based at Temple University in Philadelphia, "Humans should not be smoking K2. The main reason is the animal data that is coming back is not that promising. There are a lot of JWH compounds and JWH is unique; it’s very potent at low doses. What is a little scary is that around 10 mg per kilogram in rats there was some decreased breathing. We’re talking about 1 milligram per kilogram that was able to cause catalepsy in mice."

This was a very unnecessary death. Drugs like this should not be as accessible, or even out on the market at all. They have no medicinal benefit and simply serve the purpose as a "legal high."

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
And when they are outlawed, then another synthetic drug will emerge somehow. Good reason to end the war on drugs.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by MarlboroRedCowgirl

Legalise normal marijuana. None of the crap made by scientists and it will generate massive revenue from taxes.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by BigBruddah

Thanks for the reply, I would kinda like to keep the thread on the topic of Spice so not to be TnC'ed. I think this is a very important issue and people need to be informed.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Check it out on google news.

Lots of synthetic drug raids involving local LEO and feds all over the country in the last month or so.

Apparently mostly independent convenience stores operated by Indians and Pakistanis.

top topics

join