It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Lear: Speed records & real-life flight stories

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Hello John,

After looking at all of the different threads that ATS has created to structure your discussion, I noticed one huge gap that was missing: Your real-life flight accomplishments! I know that ATS has a large number of flight enthusiasts and aircraft aficionados.

I was wondering if you might be able to share with us some of your memorable flight stories (that is, those that aren't still classified!)?

Of the 17 (?) world speed records that you hold in the Lear Jet, which experience was most dangerous? Could you please tell us the story?

Thanks,
MK

[edit on 21-9-2004 by MKULTRA]

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by MKULTRA
Hello John,

After looking at all of the different threads that ATS has created to structure your discussion, I noticed one huge gap that was missing: Your real-life flight accomplishments! I know that ATS has a large number of flight enthusiasts and aircraft aficionados.

I was wondering if you might be able to share with us some of your memorable flight stories (that is, those that aren't still classified!)?

Of the 17 (?) world speed records that you hold in the Lear Jet, which experience was most dangerous? Could you please tell us the story?

All world speed record including speed around the world (65 hours and 38 minutes) was accomplished on one flight between March 23 and March 26, 1966 from Wichita, Kansas to Wichita, Kansas with refueling stops at Windsor Locks, CT,, St, Johns, Newfoundland, the Azores, Barcelona, Spain, Tehran, Iran., Ceylon, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, Osaka, Chitose, Shemya, Anchorage, Seattle, Los Angeles, Wichita. Hank Beaird (Lear Jet Chief of Flight Test, Rick King (factory pilot) myself (Flying Tiger Line) and John Zimmerman (NAA Official observer) were on board. The only slightly, heart-beat raising incidents where being threatened with a shootdown over India, landing in Kaula with 60 lbs of fuel (enough for 3 minutes of flight) and landing at Shemya AFB in the Aleutian Islands in zero/zero conditions. We were flying the first Lear Jet Model 24 (Lear Jet airframe no. 100) which was a standard factory model with no extra fuel or equipment. Most of the records we set nearly 40 years ago back in 1966 (holy crap am I THAT old?) have been broken by Lear Jets and other jets. I don't remember doing anything truly dangerous in a Lear Jet. (with my apologies to Jim (Roger) McGuinn (the Byrds).

join