It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

29% of Mississippi Republicans still think interracial marriage should be illegal

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

What the heck is your beef with zionism.
heck I hope I spelt that propper.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by longjohnbritches
reply to post by Annee

What the heck is your beef with zionism.
heck I hope I spelt that propper.

How does Zionism relate to that post?

Perhaps English is not your first language.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Ron Paul is a wolf in sheeps clothing.

What he proposes would put us back a hundred years - - into Tribal groups similar to the mideast.

Hi anne I was refering to this quote of yours.
What am I missing?
hope you got my m2u

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Most people in America are bigots and racists, they just can't say it openly because of the politically charged climate of demonizing anybody who is a bigot and a racist.

It's the liberals favorite tactic, after all, of accusing people of racism in order to shut their political oppenets up.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Oh, dear... twenty-nine people out of a hundred think interracial marriage should be illegal... That would mean that seventy-one out of one hundred either don't think that, or don't give a damn, one way or another... Clearly Mississippi is a vast wonderland of bigotry...clearly...

Just so y'all know? That was sarcasm...

Had this poll been taken, oh say, thirty-five years ago...what do you suppose the numbers would have been? Use your imagination.

This over the top stereotyping of the south gets really, really old after a while... The vast majority of southerners, yes, even the one's in Mississippi, are not bigots.

I can hear it now... Oh I lived in the south, there are racists everywhere... Surely, there are, and they're usually a loud, yet very small minority... The same can be said for any region of the United States unfortunately... The Pacific Northwest was, though not as much now, thank god; once a hot bed of White Supremacists. Yet I don't hear anything like the stereotyping that the south endures...

Racism/bigotry exists everywhere with in a small, yet usually very vocal minority. To claim, however roundabout, that Mississippi has some sort of monopoly on this is, well, somewhat silly.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by dakota1s2
reply to post by illuminatislave

Y'all..... are so full of it.

I AM a conservative from Mississippi and No we don't have outhouses and Yes we do have running water. Inside too!!! We do not want big government for any reason......
What we do want is common sense from our elected officials and we would like to see all of the blind sheep following our inept leaders.....WAKE UP.............

We are not all back woods and probably more educated than you( son is going to grad school at Princeton.... as in New Jersey)

I hate being stereotyped!!!!!

Your Princeton assumption couldnt be more inaccurate.

I know a handful of acquaintances from Princeton while living in upstate NY for several years, and even if the least intelligent Princeton grad was beaten senseless over the head until they were put into a permanent coma, they would STILL exhibit MORE signs of intelligence than the most intelligent sign of life in Mississippi.

I have spent a few years in Mississippi and by the third grade, folks in NJ/NY have WAY more intelligence than the average folk in Mississippi who actually graduated high-school (which is probably less than a dozen people) .

A grad from Princeton would eat up and spit out the brightest Mississippi-born and Mississippi-educated folk there.

No comparison. I assume that you have never been out of Mississippi have you?

edit on 21-3-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Most people in America are bigots and racists, they just can't say it openly because of the politically charged climate of demonizing anybody who is a bigot and a racist.

Really? Because some loud minority can lay claim to being bigots, that means we all are? Most Americans? Really? I'm going to guess that you've evidence of this? You know all Americans? Every single one of us, or at least the majority? One hundred and fifty million plus? ...and they're all bigots?

It's the liberals favorite tactic, after all, of accusing people of racism in order to shut their political oppenets up.

Not just liberals. Conservatives have been known to throw out the "you're a bigot" card at opponents, as well. Political correctness seldom, if ever, keeps a true bigot from showing his/her true colors.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
29% is not the majority but it is still a big percentage, i wonder if republicans will stand up and denounce this sort of thinking. it reminds me of islam and the small percentage of muslims that think suicide bombing is ok. it would be nice if the rest of muslims would be more vocal in denouncing that sort of thinking as well.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by HangTheTraitors

Now who's being the bigot? Just thought I'd ask... Your blanket assumptions of stupidity on the part of people who come from the south, or perish the thought, Mississippi, is the grossest form of stereotyping. Which could be construed to be a rather gross form of bigotry...

Do think about that...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

Now who's being the bigot? Just thought I'd ask... Your blanket assumptions of stupidity on the part of people who come from the south, or perish the thought, Mississippi, is the grossest form of stereotyping. Which could be construed to be a rather gross form of bigotry...

Do think about that...

Bigot? I BEEN to BOTH places and can say this is 100 percent true.

No, make that 1 MILLION percent true.

Dont know why that deserves the "bigot" race-card.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
i have not seen one republican denounce this yet. so far people are refusing to admit there is still a problem with racism. how about publicly denouncing it and standing up against this type of thinking instead of pointing fingers in the opposite direction?? 2 wrongs will never make a right so stop acting like children...democrats "those racist republicans" republicans "those democrats are always pulling the race card, they are the real racists"!!!

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

You've been there? Then you obviously know how wrong you truly are... I, too, have been to Mississippi, and Louisiana, and I know you're wrong...at least in your assertions that all Mississippians are as you've portrayed...

Racism/bigotry has an ugly history in Mississippi, and will undoubtedly have instances of it again in the future. Ask anyone who lived there in the forties or before what it was like, and ask them how it compares to the present...and see what they say. Unless they're completely in the thrall of a political agenda, they'll have to admit that it's night and day different. Does that mean it's perfect? No. Twenty nine percent is twenty nine percent too high...not disputing that.

The progress that Mississippi has made, along with the entirety of the South is simply remarkable. I used to know an old man, when I was a boy, who grew up as a sharecropper in the south during the height of Jim Crow...his parents were former slaves, as was he. He remembered the Night Riders of the Ku Klux Klan...the lynchings...the sure and certain knowledge that a black man could never dream of receiving justice in a court of law...especially if the opponent was a white.

He would have been amazed at the progress that has been made...and wishing there was no need for further progress.

This insatiable need on the part of many of you to stereotype to prove a political point does no good what so ever, in fact I'd be so bold as to claim it hinders more than helps...

Everyone is a bigot... Wrong.

Everyone is stupid... Wrong.

Everyone is "whatever"... Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
ok so this poll could be tainted and i would like to see more polls from different states to see what they think so we can compare to mississippi. i would not want to paint all mississippians w the same broad brush. what i would like to see is the percentage of people in general from mississippi that think interracial marriage should be illegal followed by a poll asking mississippi democrats the same question.

i would say that these kind of polls are statistically messed up and there is no way to prove the reality behind them.

then as another way to break it down lets see how many people come on here to denounce this kind of crap, followed by how many people have the guts to stand by their convictions and explain why they think interracial marriage should be illegal.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Really? Because some loud minority can lay claim to being bigots, that means we all are? Most Americans? Really? I'm going to guess that you've evidence of this? You know all Americans? Every single one of us, or at least the majority? One hundred and fifty million plus? ...and they're all bigots?

This is a strawman argument.

I did not say all or each and every single America out there, I said:

MOST AMERICANS

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Not just liberals. Conservatives have been known to throw out the "you're a bigot" card at opponents, as well. Political correctness seldom, if ever, keeps a true bigot from showing his/her true colors.

Political correctness actually reveals more about the person enforcing those rules than the people they're trying to impose those rules on.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Exactly. Most.

Sorry, but I seriously doubt you know most Americans. There's nothing strawman about that.

You, though you're not alone, are stereotyping rather shamelessly. Perhaps it's semantics, but wouldn't it be a bit more accurate to say "many", rather than "most"? In a population of north of 300 million, it doesn't take a large percentage to qualify as many.

I grow increasingly tired, though most (or is it many?) won't, and don't, care; of the use of stereotyping to justify an opinion of a large group of people.

That's been used to justify many, and many, an atrocity over the course of human history.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

This isn't a liberal/conservative issue.

It's a common sense issue.

You want to be racist? Do it in your own home.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

You're the one who's sterotyping.

And yes, most Americans are racist and bigots.

you have to prove to me that's not true.

And you can't.

And your attempts to silence me because you disagree don't work either. Your hostility only reveals your own bigotry.

And if you want proof of how racist America actually is, take a look at the media. There's actually very few times when you'll see a truly interracial couple. One thing you'll never see on TV is a black girl with a white guy. Out of all the movies there's only one that actually features that, and it's a movie with Samuel L Jackson in it. But otherwise, what you'll see in the media is the same ethnic groups together, such as an Asian couple or an African American couple. Very few shows actually showcase a truly interracial couple. If American's weren't so racist you'd see far more interracial couples in the media.

This isn't a liberal/conservative issue. It's a common sense issue. You want to be racist? Do it in your own home.

It is indeed both, it is a very political issue, and a political tactic. But there is no such thing as common sense . Because what is common sense to one person is an entirely different belief to another You want to be racist, do it in your own home yourself. Common sense is more like common belief, and region and culture affects those beliefs.

And your statement only supports the point I made. You pretty much made an accusation against me just because I have a disagreement with you. That's the very tactic I am talking about. You tried, and failed to make me out to be a racist simply because you disagreed with me and you wanted me to shut up. Which is ironic since you tried to claim otherwise.

How telling of you.

But as people are just going to berate me and insult me, I have nothing more to say. So you succeed in shutting me up.

I don't know what it is in America these days, but you can't have an open discussion without somebody trying to call each other racist in order to shut them up just because.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
Oh, dear... twenty-nine people out of a hundred think interracial marriage should be illegal... That would mean that seventy-one out of one hundred either don't think that, or don't give a damn, one way or another... Clearly Mississippi is a vast wonderland of bigotry...clearly...

Just so y'all know? That was sarcasm...

Had this poll been taken, oh say, thirty-five years ago...what do you suppose the numbers would have been? Use your imagination.

This over the top stereotyping of the south gets really, really old after a while... The vast majority of southerners, yes, even the one's in Mississippi, are not bigots.

I can hear it now... Oh I lived in the south, there are racists everywhere... Surely, there are, and they're usually a loud, yet very small minority... The same can be said for any region of the United States unfortunately... The Pacific Northwest was, though not as much now, thank god; once a hot bed of White Supremacists. Yet I don't hear anything like the stereotyping that the south endures...

Racism/bigotry exists everywhere with in a small, yet usually very vocal minority. To claim, however roundabout, that Mississippi has some sort of monopoly on this is, well, somewhat silly.

Hi sea,
Very well said.
I like the fact you explained the percentages.
I always chuckle at folks when they grab thier umbrella because the weather man says "30 percent chanch of rain." is that a scare tactic?
I would like them to say 70 percent chance of Having a Nice Day
ljb

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Am I now? How so?

...and I'm not the one making the accusation, sir. It's up to you to prove the accusation true. Not me to prove the negative.

For every bigot you point out...I dare say I can point out, at the very least, one or two who aren't.

As I've said, at least twice in this thread, and many more times elsewhere on ATS; bigotry exists...but it's less with passing day. There will still be horrid instances of it, yet the very fact that they are so rare as to be shocking should speak to the fact that bigotry is becoming less of a problem...

So because the media doesn't have interracial couple on TV that's somehow proof that America is a land of racists? That's your proof? Really? I'm not even sure how to, at the moment, respond to that...though I'm sure I will later.
edit on 3/21/2012 by seagull because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join