It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama announces WTO case against China over rare earths

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Obama announces WTO case against China over rare earths

www.cnn.com

he United States, the European Union and Japan are filing a challenge with the World Trade Organization against China's export restrictions on minerals that are crucial for the production of many high-tech devices, President Barack Obama announced Tuesday.
In a statement to reporters at the White House, Obama said the case seeks to force China to lift export limits on certain minerals known as rare earths.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Dude uses some pretty strong language:

"Our competitors should be on notice: You will not get away with skirting the rules," he said in the White House Rose Garden.

It's like a guy who is 5 large in the hole putting his bookie on notice.
Does anyone else find the belligerent posturing on this issue a little weird?

news.yahoo.com...

edit on 13-3-2012 by Eidolon23 because: link add.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I find it hilarious. The news that China was sitting on most of the earths rare earth metals required in modern electronics and military hardware was skirted in the MSM a few years ago.

It was only a matter of time before the US cried foul because China could easily stop the export of THEIR OWN resources that the US military depends on. And in this case, they can't go bomb them for it and blame it on terrorists.

P.S. think this was posted earlier....ah the announcement of the coming announcement was posted.

edit on 13-3-2012 by Vardoger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
time to invade china for rare earth goods. we can call them buddhist extremists
edit on 13-3-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
There are plenty of rare earth veins else where. China enacted the restrictions for two reasons they want to give an advantage ot their own industries, and two they dont want to be net importers in the future.

This is stupid, imho, should just put full focus on developing new mines and sources of rare earths.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Yah, WTF is wrong with China!?

Natural resources in your sovereign nation dont belong to your people, they belong to Western corporations, the mega banks and their armies.

edit on 13-3-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Meanwhile the US is allowing China to buy up huge molybdenum and other mineral rich lands in the US.

See General Moly / Mount Hope.

WTH USA? Hypocrisy much?

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
They'll use the excuse that China is a totalitarian government. Which they are, and I absolutely abhor China's authoritarian style of leadership, but for the US to criticize them over it makes us hypocrites. The US has just as much corruption and censorship, it's just mostly done through the corporate arm.
edit on 13-3-2012 by SilentKoala because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Uh, oh. Without access to that unobtainium that shiny piece of Walmart crap that is going to break in a week will be a lot more expensive for all of those Western "sparkly gizmo consumers".

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
China is rapidly growing tired of funding a corrupt and decadent West who has done nothing but invade other nations in ten years. People, we are rapidly descending into Evil Empire status and guess what? China is NOT the problem in the world.

Your off the cuff talk of war is juvenile, our navy is completely ineffective as proven time and time again by China. America needs to step back from the brink and stop acting like the center of the world. We no longer are, and it will be to our credit if we can harmonize and exist with grace and usefulness in the coming decade.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Eidolon23

This was posted yesterday

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Forgive me for asking this, for I am new. What necessarily does 'rare earths' pertain to? What types of metals and things were they keeping from us for so long? I have noticed, when Obama wants something.. He's going to say it publicly. I feel as sometimes, I imagine these men are just a bunch of big babies, crying "Heyyy, thats ours give it back!" or things like "I want what you have, Give me!"
Too bad they do a little more damage than children. :/
Thanks for posting this! If anyone could get back to me on just what really 'rare earths' . I would be thaknkful!

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Its funny the consequences of environmentalists. The US used to lead in the production of rare earths. The EPA and environmental groups shut down a mine in eastern California called Mountain Pass, owned by a company called Molycorp. Basically made it to expensive to operate with regulations and of course law suits. At this time china invested in there industry and flooded the market with cheap imports, This meant no one missed the mine no big deal huh.

Then in 1995 two Chinese government-backed companies together with Sextant Group a private-equity firm bought Indiana-based Magnequench the last U.S. makers of neo-magnets. Mostly to steal there manufacturing technique developed by general motors. As part of the purchase they promised to keep Magnequench in the United States for 5 years. Guess where the company moved to in 2000??? Every electronic device uses rear earths Its even vital to National security and we are dependent on China for them. The most ironic part the USA has more then China the irony is regulations make it to expensive to get.

Do you know why manufacturers moved to china? It wasn't cheap labor like the media likes to say. China made a mandate they would not sell rear earths to any company that doesn't have a presence in China. And to be honest it only makes sence if your going to produce batteries or magnets to be near where there mined. This is why manufacturers rushed to china we dug a hole then buried ourselves in it. Thats my mining joke sad part is its really not funny for multiple reasons.

To further make people mad a GAO report said that once companies find minable resources and the money to develop them production can take seven to 15 years, principally due to state and federal regulations. So prepare yourselves China has a lock on electronics and are in control. Prepare yourself its going to be a bumpy ride.

edit on 3/13/12 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Katharos62191

Forgive me for asking this, for I am new. What necessarily does 'rare earths' pertain to? What types of metals and things were they keeping from us for so long? I have noticed, when Obama wants something.. He's going to say it publicly. I feel as sometimes, I imagine these men are just a bunch of big babies, crying "Heyyy, thats ours give it back!" or things like "I want what you have, Give me!"
Too bad they do a little more damage than children. :/
Thanks for posting this! If anyone could get back to me on just what really 'rare earths' . I would be thaknkful!

Rear earths are used to make steel,magnets,conductors and let us not forget batteries. The steel industry in the USA was devastated when mines here closed while china is now the number one producer of steel. Imagine if the steel industry was still producing in the United States those were good paying jobs.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desolate Cancer
There are plenty of rare earth veins else where. China enacted the restrictions for two reasons they want to give an advantage ot their own industries, and two they dont want to be net importers in the future.

This is stupid, imho, should just put full focus on developing new mines and sources of rare earths.

Sorry but you do not have to go that far for rare earth mineral we have more then you will ever need
HERE
www.abovetopsecret.com...
But if you do not want it, also we can alway sell it to China like the oil now your Choice

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
IF obama dont like the way chinas trade policies are then stop trading with problem solved.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Hah,
yeah ok

USA/WTO '' China, this is the WTO and USA. We demand you allow us to buy your minerals ''
China '' No. ''
USA/WTO ''Plllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeasssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeee, we need our widescreen plasma TVs''
edit on 13-3-2012 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

new topics

top topics

join