It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen charged over Facebook post on UK soldiers killed in Afghanistan#

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Teen charged over Facebook post on UK soldiers killed in Afghanistan#

www.metro.co.uk

Azhar Ahmed, 19, posted comments on his Facebook page bemoaning the level of attention the British soldiers received in comparison with the Afghan civilian victims of the conflict.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
In my opinion, it's about time the British government stood up against these type of people.

I think it's disgusting that guys (coincidentally all Muslims) can congregate together and spit at our troops when they return from tour and how they get away with desecrating war memorials in this country.

If I flew into an Arab country and said "Allah is a pig" I'd be whipped and probably stoned to death!

www.metro.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

EDIT;
Okay, if you have Facebook, search for the page "Azhar Ahmed scumbag!!" and have a look at their profile picture, it is the comments this young lad left and believe me, it is horrible stuff.
Not quite as rosy as the newspaper makes it out to be...

edit on 13-3-2012 by Petest205 because: (no reason given)

+75 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Petest205

to be fair, osama is dead and you're still bombing the sh-t out of them.

+62 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

I don't understand. He posted a personal opinion on Facebook and was arrested for doing so?

Regardless of his opinion, I find this rather ominous. Or am I missing something?

+22 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I can't believe that here we are in 2012 fighting aver things like "god" and "holy lands" and "words".
What is wrong with the world? Have we digressed to a sub-human level?
Is this part of their "master plan"
I don't think I want to be associated with this world, nor do I wish to be represented by this world.
What has happened to us?

+21 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Sooo.. Non-Muslim lives are worth more than Muslim ones? Can you explain this logically to me? Can you explain using logic why the deaths of Invading British soldiers are more worthy of attention than Afghan Civilians?

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
It's about time the Brits stood up and said enough is enough. Let's not forget, these are the same folks who burn poppies on rememberance day. It's reprehensable that the British have let it go on for so long as it did.

I'd like to think that if muslim groups were burning poppies on Nov. 11th in Canada heads would roll. Figuratively... probably.

To my mind, it's not a freedom of speech issue, or a freedom of religion issue. It come down to how people should behave in a civilized society.

That said, when war crimes are comitted by ISAF troops they should be held accountable. Killing civilians and carrying out massacres should be a crime punished at the end of a firing squad. Or, better yet, hand those responsible over to the Afghans for some of their justice. A strong message has to be sent to the world that this sort of thing doesn't go unpunished. Enough of the slap on the wrists like after Haditha.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buddha1098

Sooo.. Non-Muslim lives are worth more than Muslim ones? Can you explain this logically to me? Can you explain using logic why the deaths of Invading British soldiers are more worthy of attention than Afghan Civilians?
maybe because he is british and watching british news.

+26 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Posting an opinion is now an arrestable offense?

Does the UK have a Bill of Rights or Constitution?

Guess we shouldnt expect much from a nation which has a history deeply rooted in imperialism, conquest, gun confiscations and more surveillance cameras than any other nation on Earth.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

I don't understand. He posted a personal opinion on Facebook and was arrested for doing so?

Regardless of his opinion, I find this rather ominous. Or am I missing something?

Inciting violence, and hate speech, even over facebook. are punishable offenses in some parts of the world. And rightfully so.
edit on 13-3-2012 by Monger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Okay, if you have Facebook, search for the page "Azhar Ahmed scumbag!!" and have a look at their profile picture, it is the comments this young lad left and believe me, it is horrible stuff.
Not quite as rosy as the newspaper makes it out to be...

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

You really don't see the bigger picture do you? If someone killed the prime minister tomorrow, we'd still have an Army.
Also, it's not just the insurgent groups we're fighting over there, it's the drugs. 10 years ago, 60% of the world's coc aine came from Afghan soil.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monger

Inciting violence, and hate speech, even over facebook. are punishable offenses in some parts of the world. And rightfully so.
edit on 13-3-2012 by Monger because: (no reason given)

The article didn't share what he posted. I believe it said he "bemoaned" the attention the dead soldiers were receiving. Do we have a link with his post? I'd like to read what he posted.

I do understand the frustration involved.... but I think we need more info.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
There is a key difference between a crime and someone acting inappropriately (or even simply unfavorably).

I'm not seeing the crime, here...

He has now been charged with a racially aggravated public order offence in connection with the posting after being arrested last week.

Read more: www.metro.co.uk...

... Let me see if I can find his post... or part of it:

harrypaterson.co.uk...

Not sure about the source - but this is one of the first (and few) places I found to claim part of his facebook comment:

“People gassin about the deaths of soldiers! What about the innocent familys who have been brutally killed.. The women who have been raped.. The children who have been sliced up..! Your enemy’s were the Taliban not innocent harmless familys. All soldiers should DIE & go to HELL! THE LOWLIFE FOKKIN SCUM! gotta problem go cry at your soliders grave & wish him hell because that where he is going..”

Strong words from an immature brat, in my own opinion.

I, honestly, do not believe there is anything trial-worthy in this instance. Even if this kid is a prospective member of more radical groups - it is important to separate sentiments from crimes and/or criminal intent.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
i have two issues with this whole scenario...

first in the case posting things on facebook, that should be my choice and my opinions within reason... if its things you will not say in a public area due to fear of how people will treat you it is know different online, one of my pet hates is dot com bravery where you can get tore into someone or pretend to be really hard/aggressive on a subject because your in yoru bedroom.

second when or more importantly why did the UK let Afghanistan become as close as we have ever had to Vietnam.. returning troops being spat on? spoke about etc.. the troops doing there bit are just working a job like everyone else, sure there will always be one or two people that do bad but in general terms they are just doing there job, i dotn want to see them being put down or praised they arent fighting for my freedom just doing there job.

people in the UK should be made to respect soldiers just like they dont spit on those who work in KFC or they dont put down abortion doctors or they dont post things about how much they hate people who work in the tabaco industry... all these people just do there job too (the KFC thing is obviously it is documneted they treat chicken bad but thats not the problem of the floor worker in a "resteraunt")
so yes people should be held accountable for there actions towards any member of public in the uk.

if it is over religous views then the penalty should be doubled... religon should be for you personaly if it starts effecting your interaction with society then you should have the right to practise any religon removed from you... this goes for all religons... it is the bane of our race.

However there is some truth in what the boy has said, there is very little coverage of the civilian deaths.. i suppose history is written by the victors.
edit on 13-3-2012 by GonzoSinister because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I honestly don't see what the big deal is...he didn't say anything overly outrageous. In fairness, if troops entered Australia and decided to shoot/rape civilians at will using a complete and utter BS excuse like a war on terrorism- I'd be wishing for those troops to face the wrath of the devil himself.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

To be fair, the article did say it was " racially aggravated". You can have opinions, but when they deviate from what is considered to be unacceptable from a legal perspective - i.e. the level at which it is offensive to the person on the street, then tough.

The UK has free speech, but that does not give the right to be offensive.

I agree with the posters who identify that the majority in the UK are becoming tired of a vocal minority who seem to be bent on being offensive.

As to Afghanistan. Whatecert the rights and wrongs, if you are a girl you are much better off now you have access to education and healthcare. From a women's rights perspective, the war against the Taliban et al is just good news. Furthermore, just like Iraq, most civilan deaths are as a result of "the other side". IEDs may kill ISAF solidiers, but they kill more locals.

Regards

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

I agree and surely this is the main point of the thread no matter what you think of the kids opinion.

Parents should be extremely worried about what their kids are putting up on face book - this really is taking it too far.

Next thing we'll have the whole family arrested through being exposed by their kids innocent remarks.

Like China after the Cultural Revolution or North Korea today.

This should go viral in protection of families everywhere!!!

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C
There is a key difference between a crime and someone acting inappropriately (or even simply unfavorably).

I'm not seeing the crime, here...

He has now been charged with a racially aggravated public order offence in connection with the posting after being arrested last week.

Read more: www.metro.co.uk...

... Let me see if I can find his post... or part of it:

harrypaterson.co.uk...

Not sure about the source - but this is one of the first (and few) places I found to claim part of his facebook comment:

“People gassin about the deaths of soldiers! What about the innocent familys who have been brutally killed.. The women who have been raped.. The children who have been sliced up..! Your enemy’s were the Taliban not innocent harmless familys. All soldiers should DIE & go to a HELL! THE LOWLIFE FOKKIN SCUM! gotta problem go cry at your soliders grave & wish him hell because that where he is going..”

Strong words from an immature brat, in my own opinion.

I, honestly, do not believe there is anything trial-worthy in this instance. Even if this kid is a prospective member of more radical groups - it is important to separate sentiments from crimes and/or criminal intent.

Actually after reading more of this thread , I kind of understand the point. Well then let's all the little punk gets what he deserved. Sorry about jumping to conclusions.
edit on 13-3-2012 by Reptius because: Made a mistake.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Okay, found the post on Facebook.

Yes, it was disturbing. But then again, so was the posts made against the young man.
I believe several posts could be labeled inciting violence.

I truly understand how upsetting his thoughtless and rude comments were, esprcially to the families of the soldiers. But it is still an opinion. Frankly, I've seen worse on ATS.

Slippery slope getting a little grease....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join