It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronauts’ eyeballs deformed by long missions in space, study finds.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Flattening at the back of their eyes may be caused by increased pressure of cerebrospinal fluid in microgravity

Brain scans of Nasa astronauts who have returned to Earth after more than a month in space have revealed potentially serious abnormalities that could jeopardise the future of long-term space missions.

Doctors examined 27 astronauts who had flown long-duration missions with the US space agency and found a pattern of deformities in their eyeballs, optic nerves and pituitary glands that remains unexplained.

www.rawstory.com...

I find this concerning to be honest, Increased study into the possibly detrimental effects of space travel may make that human trek through space a little bit more out of our reach.

As we all know many of our manned space missions have really in terms of length not been As long as we may intend to travel in the near future, this poses yet another problem in getting people not only into space but keeping them healthy up there.

Another thought which occurred to me is how perfect is this for the whole stereotypical image of aliens we all have?! Huge eyes caused by centuries of deformation in space causing the whole skeletal structure of the head to compensate and deform through a period of growth, Just a thought.

Yours always, Ted.

edit on 13/3/12 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Or its just another article that is aimed at keeping people earth bound, Ether way

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Legion2024

What would be the point in keeping people earthbound? Surely that's entirely detrimental to furthering the human race, and we know how much we like to further ourselves

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Every reason, control would be the biggest, ownership of area's of space and or planets, and could lead to an population explosion if we had the space to populate. And another one the truth on what is out there.

Among other things the loss of control and law enforcement over an extremely large area, and then what and who's set of laws would there be. We can not even get our acts together on one planet let alone heading to space.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Legion2024

To be honest you've actually got a good point there legion, I agree

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

yeah i think so.

I dream about humans first real endeavors in to space, and possible outcomes We need to get it right the first time I believe as a entire race. Side by side no matter the differences.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
that is a serious issue but can be cured by creating gravity in space through of spinning the ship.
Many designs have been created to deal with this problem and the long list of other issues non gravity has on the body.

Face it, the human body was not mean to live in a non gravity environment.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
whether this study is true or not I believe we are earthbound in some way
but should be able to at least visit other worlds for short periods of time or
stay there if they are earth like. Without Earth's energy. it's heart beat
we cannot survive for very long unless we are able to stimulate these conditions,
as a believer that earth is our god I say that travel beyond the magnetic field of earth could
deem impossible, and the moon is still in earth's magnetic field that why it was
possible perhaps. We need to study more if we are to survive in the long
term. Earth will not always be here unless we decide to protect it.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
So basically if we check the guys eyes that went to the moon and there is no deformity, they faked the moon landing right? I mean they were on the moon for a while...

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by foreshadower99

We're discussing scientific phenomena here, not rambling about hocus pocus incoherent uneducated beliefs or theories.
Go away.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
At one point divers were limited by how far down they could go due to the buildup of nitrogen in the blood during the ascent. We've since founds ways to preventing/treating this, there's a way around everything.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Missed this one - S&F&

fyi - deformed eyeballs are just the tip of the iceberg. The physical stress on cells during take-off and re-entry (never mind on the skeleton and other big stuff), never mind the radiation exposure in space or the way everyone's individualized viruses and other bugs that make it past the "medical screening" tend to mix, match and hybridize in zero gravity..... The list of dangers and mechanisms does go on.

Why do you think space was "privatized"? ...No one wants responsibility for the very predictable long term healthcare costs.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpongeBeard
reply to post by foreshadower99

We're discussing scientific phenomena here, not rambling about hocus pocus incoherent uneducated beliefs or theories.
Go away.

No...no...no... "WE" are not "discussing" ANYTHING. SOME people are discussing scientific phenomena, YOU are attempting to exert an authority you do not posess on another member who has every right to be here as you do, and I am espressing my disgust at such an arrogant attempt at establishing a superiority, which once again, does not exist, either intellectually, spiritually, legally, or any other way that matters even in the most insignificant way, given the current reality in which we find ourselves.

To the OP: Flag for the comments about alien features... this brings a new perspective which is greatly appreciated by me! It's as if their eyeballs were pressed completely flat, and that's why they're so large in appearance... I wonder if this would improve eyesight or not... Their eyes would not roll to focus in different directions like our sphere like eyes do, so it would have to focus on everything at once. Something that may be more possible with a larger surface area to see from...? Interesting thoughts either way! Then there's the theory that their "eyes" are lenses, and the real eye is beneath. Maybe the lens, if true, had to be added because of what the deformation was doing?

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Here is where i think the "Greys" most likely came about

Also i think this is all to convenient, they have been in space for 50 years now, and they only find out now? and at the same time as we are being told about "Dangerous space junk" and this is just before some of civilian space shuttle programs are starting to get serious.

This all looks like Perception manipulation to make the public fear going into space, so it will not hinder their black project space program.

With research into anti gravity with a spinning station, or potentially electromagnetism then there issues would be null.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SpongeBeard

well you fail to see that what I am "rambling" about is actually
scientific, the earth has a echo in it's magnetosphere which
is equivalent to 7.83hz and is needed among carbon, nitrogen
, oxygen and hydrogen to form the vital amino acids needed
for life to take place, for more complex polypeptide chains to form.
There was also a study like this one in which various deformities
occurred when astronauts exited the magnetosphere for a period
of time and there injuries healed when they re-entered the
magnetosphere. Do not jump to conclusions, everything has
a meaning.

new topics

top topics

join